Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
peppernovice

6-21-14 Video Update....Showing Color!

peppernovice
9 years ago

Here's an update on my hot peppers. We actually have a few ripe pods. Plants are approaching 5 feet tall already. Take a look and let me know what you think.

Tim

http://youtu.be/eBHXtao93n4

Comments (12)

• stoneys_fatali
    9 years ago

Very nice!
    Hope mine look like that soon :-)

Stoney

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    9 years ago

Heading over to youtube now, Tim ;-)

Josh

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    9 years ago

Regarding the HHW and what to do with them. These are my favorite peppers for eating. I slice them up and "cold can" them for eating on sandwiches and other stuff through out the winter. I just slice them up and put them in canning jars with a 2:1 vinegar to water mixture in pint jars. You can do other size jars as well. I like pint jars. First add the sliced HHW peppers, then add about 1 TBLS of diced garlic, a TBLS of sea salt, and a tsp of ground black pepper or whole pepper corns. Add the 2:1 vinegar/water mixture to cover the sliced peppers and cover and refrigerate. THey must stay refrigerated since they are not hot canned. If you use the tapered canning jars, you can even freeze them if you leave the tops slightly loose to allow the contents to freeze and expand. They will last forever that way. I have had them from the fridge still good six months later. The only drawback with freezing them is that they tend to get a little soft and I really prefer them to be crisp when eating on my sandwiches.

Your plants are great. Mine are still pretty small some are already putting out some ripe pods. But I just got mine outside for the summer a month ago. I can't wait until mine are as big as yours.
    Bruce

• woohooman San Diego CA zone 10a
    9 years ago

Still looking great, Tim.

As far as your pest control is concerned, I've never heard of the product you have. I've gone the mother nature route with my pest control by using an IPM program - pretty happy, so far. About the only chemicals I still use are BT for caterpillars and an occasional spray or dusting of wettable sulfur for mites, thrips, and scale. I still employ neem oil and soap on occasion, but haven't needed to this year yet. If you ever do use sulfur, do not use within 2 months of an oil spray, and vice versa.

My train of thought used to be "I'm not growing anything unless it's edible." But, I've found that planting a few specific flowers really draw in the good guys to clean up the bad.

Aphids can usually be controlled with strong blasts of water... just need to be diligent every few days.

Happy harvesting!

Kevin

• peppernovice
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the recipe Bruce. I hope to use it soon.
    Also, thank you for the advice on pest control Kevin. I don't think I'll use that product again. Some of my leaves appear to be burnt. It may be because I sprayed them when the sun was still out, but I'd rather not risk it.

Tim

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    9 years ago

Welcome. Those are really great looking healthy plants. In a couple weeks you are going to have enough heat in your back yard to warrant a visit from the local Fire Department.
    Bruce

• User
    9 years ago

Tim, two words: Fantastic job!?

• stoneys_fatali
    9 years ago

Bruce,
    Awesome recipe! I will use it too for some of my milds :-)

Stoney

• peppernovice
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ok Bill......Are you asking me, or telling me !? :) Thanks.....I think.

Tim

• User
    9 years ago

LOL Tim.

My screw up on an android tablet. The "?" should have been an "!"

We gotta talk about the "novice" thing. I think you're long past that Sir ;-)

Bill

• jutsFL
    9 years ago

Plants are great as always Tim!

After seeing yours (and looking online), I know that my tobasco are definitely not true. But that's how we all end up I suppose, there's always the mystery peppers.

Jay

• seysonn
    9 years ago

Tim, Nice plants all over. I am not going to make any remarks on your "peppernovics" user name. hehe
    I love those HHW. I have a few but not nearaly close to what you have.

Bruce, those pickled HHW make me drool. I have seen a lot of similar stuff made with Jalapeno but HHW is something else(much better i.e). I love munching on peppers with the heat of about that of HHW, Serrano, Jalapeno, as side salad with what I eat. So, I am glad, Tim has plenty of them.

Sponsored
Integrity Woodworking Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry Professionals