Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rustacator

Guess that Pepper!?

Rusty
11 years ago

Ok guys here is a stumper. I found this âÂÂoddâ shape pepper on it. Can you guess the type of pepper tree?

Funny thing is my plant is over 1 year old and harvested 200+ fruit off of it. First time getting a pepper this shape from her. But IâÂÂm defiantly keeping these pepper seeds separate from the rest I gathered and try growing those seeds next year and see if I get the same shape of peppers off of it. And hopefully it keeps its heat lvl to.

Comments (11)

• habjolokia z 6b/7
    11 years ago

Red tree Hab with either a malformed or possible cross pod? Is my guess. Usually a cross is not on the parent plant but in the seeds from the pods, so going with malformed. Time and seeds will tell.

• Rusty
    Original Author
    11 years ago

No, unforchantly, I have to tell you it isn't a Habanero pepper. I know some look like that, but it isnâÂÂt one. The pepper almost resembles a small bell pepper in a way. And all the plants peppers are total opposite from it. For an example a bell pepper shape vs jalapeno shape.â Using those types as an example.â They donâÂÂt even come close to looking like the same pepper. HereâÂÂs a hint on the comparison. On the first photo look at the leaf on the left next to the shed doors. On the upper right of that leaf is a baby pepper.

• steven1032
    11 years ago

Looks like a rocotillo chili. But the other one looks more like a jelapeno or ghost pepper. Looking at the one at the barn door is a harder one to tell.

• steven1032
    11 years ago

looking at the other pepper it could be either a fresno or tabsco a lot of peppers look like that. very hard to tell.

• Rusty
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Well steven1032 your second guess was correct. This is my Ghost pepper plant. But for some odd reason it grew a pepper like this. Anybody have a reason why out of no where it would grow such a weird shape pepper?

• habjolokia z 6b/7
    11 years ago

Could be a mutation, grow the seeds and see if it's a genetic mutation and breed it out until its stable then you get a tri-lobed ghost that you can give a name.

• steven1032
    11 years ago

Poor pollination.

• Edymnion
    11 years ago

Yeah, its just weirdly pollinated. Like a two headed calf, these things just sometimes happen.

• romy6
    11 years ago

I have about 4 ghost pepper plants and every one produces a different pod shape. Except for one plant that I got the seeds straight from CPI(N.M.S.U) It is always the same. I would say you have a cross of of some kind. Where did you get the seeds from?

• Rusty
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I ordered it from seeds and things from Amazon . But the first set of seeds I got where the wrong seeds, 180 days later..found out. so I contacted him sent him pictures and he sent me new seeds. since that was 2 years ago. I see he has on his page the seeds are called Bhut Jolokia / Naga Morich Seeds now. so who knows what type of pepper plant it is now. Yea most of the peppers are like a true bhut peppers just like what photos I have seen, but unless they get to wet from the rains then they tend to fatten up in to rounder elongated shapes.

Here is a link that might be useful: Amazon : Bhut Jolokia / Naga Morich Seeds

• Rusty
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yea heres an update on that pepper. and i added a few more pices of what the other peppers look like on the same plant. Maybe it is a cross breed of two plants.
    Also its been raining off and on here so everything is soaked. hard to see but there are a lot of green pods on her and more flowers

Sponsored