Return to the Hot Pepper Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pinholes drilled into all my jalapeno peppers

Posted by californian 10 (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 26, 11 at 20:36

I found pin holes in almost all my jalapeno peppers and the insides rotted out. I am guessing some kind of insect is drilling the tiny hole in the peppers and depositing some eggs or bacteria that causes the seed cavity to turn black. Anyone have any idea what is doing this?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pinholes drilled into all my jalapeno peppers

Hmmm, pepper maggot perhaps.
One of my buddies found tiny holes in his peppers last year. Turned out to be pepper maggots.

Josh

o

Also could be stink bugs. They get my habs all the time.

o

I did a websearch on pepper maggots and I don't think that is what I have although the damage and modus operandi are the same. The maggots inside my Jalapenos are white colored and really small. They turn the seed cavity black, and cause premature ripening of the peppers. The pinhole is also perfectly round, not elongated. Also they article I read made it seem like pepper maggots were only in the eastern U.S.
But anyway, whatever it is ruined about two thirds of my pepper crop.
I don't see how any insecticide applied to the outside of the pepper would do any good, because whatever in boring a hole in the pepper isn't eating it, only laying an egg. The maggot is the one that does the damage, and it is safely inside the pepper after hatching.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Pepper Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here