Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
obchili

Are My Peppers Ready?

obchili
9 years ago

Sorry for the stupid question, but as a first year grower, I am a bit unsure wheather these peppers are ready to go or not. I will post comments with each picture.

1. This is a Hungarian Wax pepper. Approximately 4" long. Lost another to a bird!

2. These are my first 2 Jim Nardello peppers. These things are cool to look at. Do they turn red on the plant, or after being picked? Approximately 6" long.

3. Same Jim Nardello Plant, second pod. Approximately 6" as well.

4. East Indian / Bird Chili pepper. A few pods approximately 1 3/4" - 2" long, 1/4" to 3/8" wide. These have been green for about a month so far, so I was wondering if they would turn red if cut off and left to dry.

Thank you in advance for taking the time to read this and help if possible.

Comments (13)

• bberkmor
    9 years ago

Peppers ripen on the plant, all though if close enough will ripen on the counter. If you are looking for them to turn "red" its best to leave them on the plant. Some varieties are often picked and eaten green (not ripe) as well.

This post was edited by bberkmor on Wed, Jun 25, 14 at 11:03

• woohooman San Diego CA zone 10a
    9 years ago

WHat bberkmor said. The HHW would be ready once turned completely yellow. Nardellos, never grown, but something tells me they're best red and dried. The Bird can go either way, red or green --- when red, their skin gets a bit tougher, but the flavor and sweetness is better developed.

Some peppers don't get their "true" heat until fully ripened. Many of the superhots fall into this category.

Kevin

• woohooman San Diego CA zone 10a
    9 years ago

Guess I'm wrong. After a bit of research, the Nardello is often used FRESH

Kevin

This post was edited by woohooman on Wed, Jun 25, 14 at 12:21

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    9 years ago

What Kevin said :-)
    Hungarian can be eaten in its present state.
    The "Bird" peppers can be used green and red for an excellent mix.

Josh

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    9 years ago

Hungarian is probably ready to go. You can certainly wait until they turn orange/red but most people pick them when they get to mature size as they do with Jalapenos. In fact, it is probably advisable to pick those early pods that always seem to form on HHW. It should kick start the plant into setting more pods that way. As far as the rest, I don't have any real experience with them. I do know that most unripe peppers likely won't ripen (turn red) after you pick them unless they were pretty close to begin with.
    Good luck,
    Bruce

• obchili
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Awesome, thank you. I will be picking it for use this weekend. I can't wait! My first edible pepper!

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    9 years ago

Relatively mild in heat compared to a lot of hot peppers. If you can eat a Jalapeno, then the HHW should be a piece of cake.
    Good luck and enjoy.
    Bruce

• stoneys_fatali
    9 years ago

My Jimmy Nardello is full of pods. One is starting to turn but appears brown, not red.
    Maybe it will turn red. Plant is healthy as are the pods.

Stoney

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    9 years ago

Lots of pepper go deep brown and then red. I believe Jalapenos tend to do that as well as Cayennes..
    Bruce

• seysonn
    9 years ago

In my book peppers are always ready. At different stages they will have different texture, heat, flavor and color. They are just a world apart from, say, tomatoes. But then if you want to get a BIG BANG for your buck, you will let them grow to mature size. If you like them red, let them ripen to red. I grow most of my peppers to be consumed in NON_RIPE stage, like Jalapeno, HHW, Gypsy, Shishito, Pepperoncini, Korean, Thai, Serrano, Cubanelle, (and some more). I eat fresh peppers in the garden almost every day from now on.
    Your preference may vary.

• naturegirl_2007 5B SW Michigan
    9 years ago

Jimmy Nardellos often grow much longer than that before turning red...10 inches or more. They are very sweet then, but never very thick walled. They are great for frying and add lots of flavor to foods but no heat. The resemblance to cayenne peppers threw me off the first time I grew them. Even gave a bunch away because I thought there were too many hot peppers for our heat challenged household to use.

HHW may get larger before turning to orange and red, but it is often eaten when yellow. If it is too thin walled to suit you, try leaving others on a bit longer, but still pick when yellow if you want.

Congrats on successful growing! Isn't it fun?

• obchili
    Original Author
    9 years ago

@naturegirl 2007
    Fun indeed! I am to the point of saying if all I get is what is posted, I am happy and it was a success.

But.... The East Indian / bird chilies are starting to turn red today. Slightly, but it is a start. Thank you.

• obchili
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Photo #1

Well. The pepper tasting went well. The Hungarian Wax in photo #1 was eaten. And to my surprise on return from holidays, there are approximately 10 more new peppers growing on my 2 plant and the smallest are about 1" tall. I am so happy.

Photo #2

But.... While away, I had a family member tend my house and garden. So while away I get a message that 1 of my Jim Nardello peppers (photo #2) had 'fallen off of the plant'. I was told this and then in the same sentence," it tasted very good though, but I did not pick it, it honestly just fell off and I did not want it to go to waste...". Oh well

Photo #4

The 2 larger peppers on the right side plant are now red! Woo Hoo!

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?