Return to the Hot Pepper Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
First Hungarian Wax And Jim Nardello

Posted by obchili 3 (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 17, 14 at 21:10

Again, very excited and want to share a couple of pics of the first of many (I hope) Hungarian Wax and Jim Nardello Peppers. These were grown as per request of my better half to pickle and eat as she pleases. Unfortunately, something had gotten a hold of one of my other Hungarian Wax peppers. So thank you for the help and time.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: First Hungarian Wax And Jim Nardello

Great looking plants ob!

My J. Nardello has about 12 pods on it. It's hilarious because the plant is only about 1.5 feet tall. I had to support the heck out of it cause of the pod weight!
Can't wait to try one. Heard they are great for roasting :)

Stoney

o

At least you got mine beat by about 6", as mine are about a foot tall with 2 on it.

o

How many pods is 1 Hungarian wax pepper likely to produce at once? My is flowering like crazy right now too and has 3 or 4 little tiny yellow peppers so far.....

o

• Posted by jutsFL 9b (Orlando) (My Page) on
    Wed, Jun 18, 14 at 12:18

Good looking peppers there!

And Barbge, I'm not sure of the norm but my HHWAX is supporting about 30-35 full peppers at once.

Jay

o

In my shaded garden, a single Hungarian Wax plant holds about 6 - 10 pods, depending upon the size of the pods. In a typical season, I can harvest 2 - 3 waves of pods from a plant.

Josh

o

Cool. Thanks for the quick responses.

o

that is good to hear. I am glad to know that we may get a couple small harvests off of a plant.

o

• Posted by esox07 4b Wisconsin (My Page) on
    Thu, Jun 19, 14 at 0:18

Seems with my HHW's they always throw out one or two pods really early. But after the plant gets bigger, it will start setting pods fast. They will each hold about a dozen at a time. And like Josh says, they will give you two, three or more waves of pods if your growing season is long enough. You can pick them when still yellow if you like or let them go orange to ripe red before picking them. Picking them early will allow the plant to start growing new ones earlier. But I do tend to like them ripe a little more. I like to slice and cold can them for eating on sandwiches so what I usually do is harvest them when about half are still yellow, some are orange and some are red. That makes the slices in the jars look really cool.

o

Darn that looks real good and tasty. Thank you for sharing.

o

Just a little update. I lost 1 of my HHW plants, so I am down to 1. As for the 1, it is pumping them babies out. And my Jim Nardello plants are also throwing them things out, with the exception of some are very hot. Not sure what gives there, but they just are.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Pepper Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here