Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
brian6464

Mulching 5 Gallon Buckets

brian6464
9 years ago

Is there any benefit (or drawback) to mulching 5 gallon buckets with mini pine chips?

I realize the using 5-1-1 means mulching to keep in moisture is a little irrelevant, but my mix was more like a 3-1-1. Will mulching it help retain moisture or add nutrients as the bark breaks down?

Or is there a danger that the bark could introduce pests that would not be good for the plants?

Thanks.

Comments (2)

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    9 years ago

Actually, a 5-1-1 mix will promote much faster draining soil which will allow it to dry out quicker than normal potting soil. By having a 3-1-1 mix, you will likely retain a lot more moisture than you would with a 5-1-1 mix. I dont know of any concerns with pine bark in introducing pests any more than any other component.

I reused my 5-1-1 from last year and actually added a little more potting mix to it for this season making it closer to a 3-1-1 or 4-1-1 mix in hopes that it would retain a little more moisture and it does. The more bark, the more "airy" your mix will be.
    Bruce

• seysonn
    9 years ago

Probably in cooler Heat Zones (like mine, like yours) mulching is not really necessary. But I do it with mini nuggets. That help to keep the soil undisturbed and reduce watering needs. But I think it can help a great deal in warmer climates.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting