Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
esox07

Aji Limon - Aji Lemon - Lemon Drop

OK, I grew a few "Aji Limon" plants this year. THinking of making some Jelly with them. But after trying to find out the heat level on them, the best I can find is 10,000 to 30,000 SHU. Is that about right?

And is the Aji Limon and the Aji Lemon and the Lemon Drop all the same? Or are they all different or some the same, some different? This seems more confusing than the Sweet Banana, Hot Banana, Hot Hungarian Wax situation.
Thoughts????
Bruce

Comments (52)

• scott123456
    9 years ago

Hmmm I have never heard of either of them being a chinense variety before only Baccatum. I am growing two aji limonâÂÂs and they looks nothing like any of my C. chinense varieties. I guess this just adds to the mystery. Maybe they are two (or more) different peppers and people donâÂÂt know which one they have, so they call them by the wrong name during trades?? So you have in your mind what an aji limon is, and I have in my mind what a aji limon is, but one of ours is actually a lemon drop. If they are different peppers, I am sure they are getting misrepresented as the other names all the time. Just a thought. Thanks Ronny I think I am going to buy some of each seed and try it.

• sjetski
    9 years ago

Bruce, I'm going to say that the answer is all of the above, in some ways.

I grew one out of a seed packet a few years ago, lemon something, I think it was Burpee, that plant was definitely a Chinense. The pods even resembled a Fatalii, more so than what was presented on the packet. As for the other nicknames, those will be Baccatums. Some of plants/pods will be the same, others won't. And there will be different lineages so even the same type start looking different. Some will be mislabeled trades, some will be open pollinated crosses.

The problem is that there are so many Baccatums types that resemble them (dozens of the yellow ones) that i don't think the mess will ever be sorted out.

Steve

This post was edited by sjetski on Mon, Jun 16, 14 at 18:47

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yah, I guess the name really wont matter. What matters is what I have and how they taste. If I like them, I will keep seeds and then, just for the fun of it, I will name them something else entirely. hahahhaha
    "Hot Peruvian Lemon"
    I will be selling seeds for a buck a piece this fall if anyone is interested.

Bruce

• PunkRotten
    9 years ago

I think all 3 are the same plant just people mixing up the names. However, depending where and how it is grown it will have some differences. They are not very hot but they do have a good amount of heat. So I say the estimate on scovilles is probably right. I got a plant on it's 3rd year now.

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks everyone. Yep, I had two pods go ripe early and ate one yesterday. It had some heat but nothing the average chili eater would worry about. It did have a unique flavor. I guess that it was the "citrus" flavor everyone talks about. I am going to make a batch of Jelly out of them when I get enough ripe ones. I have three plants going and although they are not real big plants, they do put out a whole lot of pods.

• scott123456
    9 years ago

Does yours look like this? This is supposed to be an aji limon

• PunkRotten
    9 years ago

Mine is a huge bush that fills the whole pot. It makes more peppers than I can pick.

• DMForcier
    9 years ago

Scott, that does look like lemon drop, but much smaller than it will get. The bush gets large but grows low - mine cascaded out of the pot and had to be set up on something to keep it off the ground. It took its sweet time ripening, but then produced enough pods for me, the neighbors, and half the town.

Notice how little it resembles a C.chinense - thus the skepticism you see here about any "lemon" being chinense.

Dennis

• maple_grove_gw
    9 years ago

Don't forget Aji Limo! Another distinct pepper that (to me at least) adds to the confusion. Anyway, if I'm not mistaken, 'Hot Lemon' is the name which Burpee slapped on Aji Limon, but the others are all distinct. More info at the earlier thread I've linked below.

Alex

Here is a link that might be useful: Earlier thread on this topic

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here is a recent photo of one of my "Aji Limon's".
    Bruce

• sjetski
    9 years ago

Very nice Bruce, lots of pods for it's size. I can only imagine what it will look like come late August.

And since it's in a bucket, you can overwinter it. Next year you can change the name to Aji Limon Mammoth, just imagine what the seeds will be worth :-P

Steve

• obchili
    9 years ago

Awesome looking plant there. I too cannot believe the number of pods you got there. Enjoy it.

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I have two others. Both of the others have less peppers but one had two ripe peppers already. But while I was away camping, we had some strong winds and a plant on the railing above it fell right on it. Broke it right in two. I had to ditch one of the branches but the other one is OK.
    Bruce

• PunkRotten
    9 years ago

My Aji Limon is thin-walled and few seeds. Your pods look like what grow on mine. When I bite into one it is a little watery and has a somewhat lemon flavor and has a heat that creeps up. Not very hot like I say, but it has a decent bite. it is hotter than a Serrano.

• seysonn
    9 years ago

Bruce, I think your question added more to the confusion. That is at least to me.

First off, "Aji" (if I understand it correctly) just means "Chili" pepper.

Second: the term "Lemon/Limon" just refers to the color resemblance to "Lemon".

I also bought some Burpee seeds called "Aji Limon" But i could not get it going. Then I bought a plant called "Lemon Drop" which is growing now. I too had previously the impression that it has "lemony" flavor. But I don't think so now. Maybe I am wrong.

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yah, I have a lot of confusion when it comes to peppers. I have two Thai varieties are growing completely different than expected. I won't even bother with the Thai Hot, Thai Chili, Thai Dragon, etc.... question.

Bruce

• peppers_galore
    9 years ago

Here are a couple of pics from some I have growing. The first two are from a seed swap here earlier in the year labeled Aji Limon. The second two are from a vendor labeled Aji Limon Peru.

• peppers_galore
    9 years ago

Pods

• peppers_galore
    9 years ago

Aji Limon Peru

• peppers_galore
    9 years ago

Pods.

I can get shots of the flowers if anyone wants to see those as well.

• tomt226
    9 years ago

Those Lemon Drops PRODUCE!
    Got five plants and they're producing a double handfull a day. About like a standard Serrano as far as heat is concerned. Citrusy flavor too. Made some salsa yesterday with Yellow Boy 'maters.
    3-medium yellow tomatoes, halved, juiced (reserve the juice) and chopped roughly.
    8-Lemon Drops, rough chop
    2-cloves garlic, rough chop
    1/4 small onion, rough chop
    Handfull of cilantro, rough chop
    1-teaspoon white pepper
    1-teaspoon table salt
    1-tablespoon yellow mustard
    Lime juice
    In a small food processor, or bowl with a hand held processor, put peppers, onion, garlic, mustard, salt, pepper, and enough liquid to allow processing.
    After processed, add chopped tomatoes, and cilantro, and process to the consistency you prefer. Add a couple of tablespoons of lime juice and mix.
    The mustard acts as an emulsifier, and IMHO, rounds out the flavor. Yellow boy tomatoes don't have much acid so the lime juice helps out. Let it sit an hour at room temp before serving.

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    Original Author
    9 years ago

My aji limon are growing pendant. It looks like yours are growing upright in the last photo. But they certainly do produce. My plants have a ton of pods on them. Only a few have ripened so far. I am looking forward to a bunch of them ripening so I can make some jelly with them.
    Bruce

• seysonn
    9 years ago

Bruce, What is the secret ? Mine doesn't have any pods/

What do you feed your plants ? Some of those fish that you catch ? hehe

• tomt226
    9 years ago

Pic of the Lemon Drop row. Five plants.

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yah, no real secret to the Aji Limon. Just treating it like all my others. I haven't used very many nutrients since we keep getting regular rain here and I don't need to water. I started the season with some Osmocote slow release in the container soil and have only added ferts twice all summer in the form of Alaska Fish Emulsion. I think that once your plants get to the point that they want to start growing fruit, they will put out a ton of blooms all at once and nearly all of them will set. Give it time, I guess.
    Bruce

• ronnyb123
    9 years ago

esox07... that a nice field of Aji Limon. I have never grown that one, just have the lemon drop.

I will have to try that one next year. Looks like you will have lots of seeds. Trade later?

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ronny, I will have a ton of seeds and you can certainly have some. Hit me up in about a month from now.
    Bruce

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    Original Author
    9 years ago

RonnyB123: I have seeds ready to send out if you still want them. Check your email.
    Bruce

• ronnyb123
    9 years ago

Thanks Bruce.

Email sent.

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    9 years ago

Bruce,
    the Aji Limon that we're growing at the Farm are producing different pods than yours....ours are thinner, not quite as pointy. I took a pic yesterday, though, which I think you'll enjoy :-) These plants have made an Aji hedge through the middle of the bed. I warned them about spacing, but did they listen to me? Nope...

Josh

• toolstack
    9 years ago

Bruce I have been trying to figure this out myself but still have no clue. I want to grow some next year though and I am looking for seeds now.
    Randal

• kuvaszlvr
    9 years ago

Those are weird looking aji limons Bruce. Mine look like Tom's. They look just like my Lemon Drops from past years that I got from Totally Tomatoes. Here's a pic of mine. Mine are growing upright and pendant.
    Pam

9 years ago

Pam, that's exactly how ours are, as well.

Josh

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hmmmm, mine look pretty close but they are all growing pendant.
    Bruce

• kuvaszlvr
    9 years ago

Similar shape, but I agree with Josh, they seem fatter and more pointy, plus, they seem a bit darker green. Don't know, not an expert. I can check and see where I got my seeds last year.
    Pam

• peppers_galore
    9 years ago

I have both. The ones that Pam and Josh have look like the Aji Limon Peru from PepperLover. The ones like Bruce's I got from Scorpion John called Aji Limon. The Peru's are more citrus and less heat. The Aji Limon are more heat less citrus. There are pics of both in this post from July 5.

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ahhhh, Scorpion John may have been who I got mine from as well. OKBruce

9 years ago

Interesting....so, Bruce, yours will have more heat....exactly what you want ;-) hehehe

Josh

9 years ago

Was at the Farm, and remembered to snap a pic....

Josh

• seysonn
    9 years ago

I have one " __ Lemon __". Add prefix or suffix as you wish. It will take me a while to differentiate between "Limon" and "Lemon". Never mind if it drops, stands up. hehe

Anyway, it is fruiting now. I will have to wait till the pods get the color of "lemon". Right now they look like lime.
    Have I got a "lemon" ? :-)

• alynne68
    9 years ago

First year I've done Lemon Drop. Lots of fruit!

Broke a branch so this is ripe and green. Not as hot as fatali, but great flavor. Should make great balance in sauce. Last year I did all super hots which is not too conducive to balanced sauces.

Alison

• alynne68
    9 years ago

The green are considerably hotter than the ripe! Yikes!!

• Orekoc
    9 years ago

Oh great. Now I have to try and get seed of both to see which I prefer. I've got a place to plant a bunch of them as it sound like it meets the requirements of the planting space. But which one?

Thanks every one for adding to my problems. I'll remember you in my curses!

"May the fleas of a thousand camels infest your armpits." Klinger

• northeast_chileman
    9 years ago

I have been following this thread and investigating each pepper variety that has popped up here as I am planning a grow out of the best variety. The one I grew a few years back was a C. baccatum that was quite prolific, pendant fruit, nice heat and had the citrus flavor expected:

LEMON DROP - hot; Andean Aji Type; 2 to 3 inches long by 0.5 to 0.75 inches wide; medium thick flesh; matures from green to bright yellow; pendant pods; green leaves; 24 to 30 inches tall; Late Season (80-90 days); C.baccatuum. 20 seeds.

But I am also looking at a C. chinense variety:

LIMON - very hot; 1.5 to 2 inches long by 0.5 to 0.625 inches wide; medium thick flesh; matures from green to yellow; pendant pods; green leaves; 12 to 18 inches tall; Early Season (60-70 days); Uses: Prolific; from Peru; C.chinense.

Maybe I'll have to grow both? I realize there are variants, look how many yellow varieties are available at PepperMania, so I'm still looking.

NECM

• DMForcier
    9 years ago

I can't imagine that a chinense could be any better than the baccatum.

Dennis

• northeast_chileman
    9 years ago

There are a number of reasons I was considering the chinense variety, short growing season to maturity noted in the description above, compact plants and heavy fruit set noted here Semillas Limón Limón is the most productive variety with do have. Small shrubs are completely stuffed with light yellow, drop-shaped very hot and tasty pods.

• seysonn
    9 years ago

I am in the game.
    My Lemon Drops are going strong. The pods start upright and then when the get bigger become pendant.
    Anyway, mine are still green with no lemony color in sight yet. LD is doing much much better than habs. Even my Thai Hots are better than habs. I want to shoot them but I have no guns. hehe

• DMForcier
    9 years ago

Sensimilla Limón ?

I'm there. Got seeds?

- Furtive Guy

9 years ago

Seysonn, eat one of those nice green pods...they are excellent.

Josh

• seysonn
    9 years ago

Thanks Josh. I sure will try one green Lemon Drop. I eat a lot of green mild/semi hot pepper. Actually I ate a tiny RED Habanero yesterday. It was hot. No kidding.
    I will post some pictures of my peppers. They are on my cell phone.

EDIT: added picture

This post was edited by seysonn on Wed, Aug 13, 14 at 23:50

Sponsored