Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
organic_dusty

orange habaneros......any recipes?

organic_dusty
14 years ago

Well a friend at work today gave me a zip lock full of orange Habanero peppers, there are about 25 of them! Any one have a good recipe that won't get me in too much trouble?

We are trying to grow a little plant but I don't want these little 25 peppers to go bad.....HELP.......

Comments (16)

• johnpo
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I've been wanting to try this hot sauce recipe called Habjapeno Hot Sauce By Danielle:

(See link below)

Here is a link that might be useful: Habjapeno Hot Sauce

• bob_in_pc
    14 years ago

If you have a dehydrator, dry them and make some powder.

• justaguy2
    14 years ago

It's pretty difficult to use 25 habs if you don't have recipes on hand already. I likes me some heat every now and then, but honestly 1 hab will be enough to make 4-6 quarts of jerk sauce for me.

I would go to a place like allrecipes.com or similar and just start trying those that look interesting to you. You can make hot pepper jams, sauces etc. that will store well, but as far as fresh recipes 25 habs is just too much for... well anyone who isn't massively addicted to the endorphin rush ;)

The suggestion to dry and powder them is a good one. It buys you time to find uses for them.

• travis_in_va
    14 years ago

I made a variation of this, it's not too bad.

Here is a link that might be useful: Chili Garlic Sauce

• brien_nz
    14 years ago

Here is the recipe that got me hooked on chiles, specifically Habaneros.
    Grilled Salmon with Habanero-Lime Butter
    SUBMITTED BY: Mike Smith
    "Grilled salmon marinated in orange juice, lime juice, tequila, and habanero peppers, then served with a habanero-lime butter. Remove the seeds from the peppers to tame the heat. You may wish to wear rubber gloves while chopping peppers to protect your hands from the spicy oils."
    PREP TIME25 Min COOK TIMEÂ 16 Min READY INÂ 2 Hrs 41 Min

INGREDIENTS
    60 ml 1/4 c vegetable oil
    120 ml 1/2 c orange juice
    45 ml 3 tbsps lime juice
    15 ml 1 tbsp tequila
    1 tbsp grated lime zest
    1 tbsp minced habanero pepper (or 1 1/2 dried peppers minced and soaked in hot water for 10 mins.)
    1 clove garlic, minced
    4/150 g salmon steaks
    55 g 1/4 c butter, softened
    1 g 1/4 tsp garlic salt
    15 ml 1 tbsp lime juice
    2 tsp minced habanero pepper (or 1/2 dried pepper).
    2 tsp grated lime zest

DIRECTIONS
    In a bowl, stir together vegetable oil, orange juice, 3 tablespoons lime juice, tequila, 1 tablespoon lime zest, 1 tablespoon habanero pepper, and garlic. Reserve a small amount to use as a basting sauce, and pour the remainder into a shallow baking dish. Place the salmon in the shallow dish, and turn to coat. Cover, and refrigerate for 2 to 4 hours, turning frequently.
    In a small bowl, mix together softened butter, garlic salt, 1 tablespoon lime juice, 2 teaspoons habanero pepper, and 2 teaspoons lime zest. Cover, and refrigerate.
    Preheat grill for medium heat.
    Lightly oil grill grate, and place salmon on the grill. Cook salmon for 5 to 8 minutes per side, or until the fish can be easily flaked with a fork. Transfer to a serving dish, top with habanero butter, and serve.
    And here is another that I requested and got from this forum.
    Chocolate Habenero Ice Cream Sauce
    From rootdoctor
    Ingredients

2 habaneros diced very fine
    4 T butter non salted
    1/4 cup brown sugar
    1/2 tsp vanilla extract
    1/4 cup milk or cream
    1/2 cup fresh sliced strawberries

Method
    Melt butter over low heat, add diced habs (no seeds). Cook and mash the habs for 3-5 minutes, add brown sugar stir constantly until melted, add vanilla and cream, cook stirring constantly until caramel like consistency.
    Add strawberries and serve over vanilla or chocolate ice cream.
    the combination of HOT and cold and HOT and sweet is simply amazing.
    I like it better when I used my Red Savina hybrids - they have a slightly cinnamon after taste.
    I sent a recipe to Ben and Jerry's but the bas..rds just now claim to own it and say they will prosecute me if I send it on to anyone, so here it is for everyone.
    Even folks that are afraid of chili peppers enjoyed this, most asked for seconds heheheheheh.
    Enjoy it!! TiMo
    BrienÂs Variation
    Make Habanero butter by adding the finely chopped pepper to softened butter. Mix well and leave for the flavours to be absorbed (24 hrs or so). Then proceed as above. If using dried Habaneros, chop finely and soak in about 2 tsps of boiling water before mixing. The Habanero butter is delicious on baked potato, grilled salmon or even just toast!
    Btw you could search the recipe exchange forum, or ask there.
    Brien

• organic_dusty
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Brien,

This looks great and we love salmon I think I will give it a try for sure.

Travis and John Po thankies very much they look awesome. I certainly won't let these babies go to waste.
    Thank all of you for your input:)
    Dusty

• hmacdona1
    14 years ago

If you can't use them up right away, you may also want to try freezing them whole. They freeze great and it's easy to grab one or two for a recipe, chile or anything else any time you want it. I just slice them or dice them while they're still frozen and they seem to retain their texture very nicely.

Glad you posted this thread. I was able to get a couple of new recipes out of it too :)

• pepper_d0g
    14 years ago

Hey guys,

I found the ultimate pepper recipe website: Pepperfool.com

I am impressed with the sheer number of recipes. Can't wait to check some of them out!

Pdawg

• rdback
    14 years ago

Hi Dusty,

That's a nice friend you got there! Your post made me shuffle through my "Clippings" file looking for Hab related recipes. Below are a few. I haven't tried ottawapepper's sauce yet (forgot I had it), but I did make readinglady's Hot N' Sweet Confetti Jelly. First time I every made jelly in my life. Everybody that tried it said it was pretty darn good. "Enter it in the County Fair" they said. So I did (first time I ever did that too).

Enjoy - Rick

{{gwi:940440}}

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    posted by: ottawapepper on 01.14.2008 at 09:34 pm in Hot Pepper Forum

I use Orange Habaneros in this sauce and it really turns out nice. First you get the fruity pepper / citrus / sweet flavor and then its followed up by a kick!

Bill

Caribbean BBQ Sauce

2 scotch bonnet chilies (or whatever you can handle), fresh or dried
    1 cup orange juice
    1 cup honey
    1/3 cup soy or Worcestershire sauce
    1 TBS ginger
    1/2 tsp allspice
    2 cloves garlic
    1 tsp dried thyme (1 TBS fresh)

Blend together well in a blender and then simmer in sauce pan for 5-10 minutes.
    Let stand in fridge overnight for fullest flavor
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    posted by: annie1992 on 10.02.2006 at 12:10 am in Harvest Forum

here are two versions. The first is the original Habanero Gold, but it makes a small amount. The second is Readinglady's adaptation of it, it makes twice as much. Of course, it takes liquid pectin which I often have a problem with, but I can't figure out how to make it without the pectin.

Habanero Gold Jelly

1/3 cup finely sliced dried apricots
    3/4 cup white vinegar
    1/4 up finely diced red onion
    1/4 cup finely diced sweet red pepper
    1/4 cup finely diced habanero peppers, including seeds
    OR 1/4 cup diced, combined jalapeno and Scotch Bonnet peppers
    3 cups granulated sugar
    1 pouch Certo liquid pectin

Cut apricots into 1/8 inch slices. Measure into a large deep stainless steel saucepan with vinegar; let stand 4 hours. Individually, cut onion and seeded peppers into 1/8 inch slices; cut slices into 1/4 inch dice. Measure each ingredient; add to apricots. Stir in sugar.
    Over high heat, bring to a full roiling boil. Stirring constantly, boil hard 1 minute. Remove from heat. Immediately stir in pectin, mixing well. Pour jelly into hot jar, dividing solids equally among jars and filling each jar to within 1/4 inch of top rim. Wipe rims. Apply lids.

Process 10 minutes in BWB. Cool upright, until lids pop down, about 30 minutes. When lids are concave but the jelly is still hot, carefully grasp jar without disturbing lid and invert, twist, or rotate each jar to distribute solids throughout jelly. The jar can be inverted temporarily but do not allow it to stand upside-down for prolonged periods.
    Repeat as necessary during the cooling/setting time, until solids remain suspended in the jelly.

Yield: 3 half pints

Hot 'N Sweet Confetti Jelly

1 cup minced dried apricots (1/8" dice) Note: Could use dried peaches or pears instead.
    1 1/4 total cups minced red sweet pepper and minced red onion (1/8" dice), approximately half-and-half.
    1/4 cup Habanero peppers
    Note: For extra-hot, increase Habaneros to 1/2 cup and reduce red sweet pepper/red onion combination to 1 cup total.
    1 1/2 cups white vinegar
    6 cups sugar
    1 3-oz. pouch liquid pectin (I used Ball, which I've decided I like better than Certo.)

Prep apricots, peppers and onion. Place in a large, stainless or other non-reactive pot. Add sugar and vinegar. Bring to the boil and cook 5 minutes. Pull off the burner; allow to cool, cover and let sit overnight.

Stir occasionally if convenient.

Note: 4-6 hours would be plenty, so the time doesn't need to be any greater than the soaking time for apricots in the original recipe.

Next day, bring the mixture back to the boil. Stir in liquid pectin. Boil hard 1 minute.
    Pull off the heat. If necessary, skim foam. (I did need to skim a bit.) Let cool 2 minutes, stirring to distribute solids. Pour into jars. Stir to distribute and remove air bubbles. Do the usual with the jars and lids, BWB 10 minutes.

When jars are sealed, "agitate" to distribute solids throughout the jelly.

Yield: 6 8-oz. jars.

• organic_dusty
    Original Author
    14 years ago

rdback- the confetti looks like a real winner for sure! Thank you very much and congratulations on your win:) I would love to try to make it. What do you use it on??? My husband made some Liquid Fire with 12 of the Habaneros so it looks like we would have enough to make the confetti jelly too.
    Here is a recipe for the sauce, it is excellent and rated 5 star!!!
    Bob's Habanero Hot Sauce - Liquid Fire
    Rated: rating
    Submitted By: R. B. Miller
    Photo By: Caroline C
    Prep Time: 15 Minutes
    Ready In: 8 Hours 15 Minutes
    Servings: 64
    "Using fewer habanero peppers can reduce the spiciness in this extremely hot habanero hot sauce. The sauce works wonders as a pick-up for Bloody Mary drinks. Flavors meld wonderfully and the sauce keeps nicely for a long time. Warning: A dash is all you need and it is best to use gloves when handling the habanera peppers."
    Ingredients:
    12 habanero peppers, seeded and chopped
    1 (15.5 ounce) can sliced peaches in heavy
    syrup
    1/2 cup dark molasses
    1/2 cup yellow mustard
    1/2 cup light brown sugar
    1 cup distilled white vinegar
    2 tablespoons salt
    2 tablespoons paprika
    1 tablespoon black pepper
    1 tablespoon ground cumin
    1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
    1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
    1/2 teaspoon ground allspice

Directions:
    1. Place the peppers, peaches, molasses, mustard, brown sugar, and vinegar into the container of a food processor or blender. Measure in the salt, paprika, pepper, cumin, coriander, ginger and allspice. Blend until liquefied. Pour into clean jars, and refrigerate overnight before using.

ALL RIGHTS RESERVED © 2009 Allrecipes.com Printed from Allrecipes.com 6/9/2009

• booberry85
    14 years ago

I don't have anything to add, but I love the Habanero Gold Jelly!

• ottawapepper
    14 years ago

Hi organic dusty,

LOL, I was going to post the Caribbean Hot Sauce recipe for you but Rick beat me to it.

Youre probably running low on habs by now but I thought Id post a few other things you may wish to try.

Ive made a batch of this Hot Cranberry Jelly the past two years. Its been a hit at the regular turkey events, Christmas, Easter, Thanksgiving etc. I tell guests its "the Turkeys revenge.

Habanero Cranberry Jelly

Ingredients:
    3/4 cup cider vinegar
    3/4 cup white vinegar
    2 cups 100% unsweetened cranberry juice
    1/2 cup finely diced habanero pepper
    1/2 cup finely diced red onion
    1 3/4 cups fresh cranberries, coarsely chopped
    1 pkg liquid pectin
    5 cups sugar

Procedure:
    Finely dice peppers and onion and coarsely chop cranberries
    In a large sauce pan, combine cranberries, pepper, onion, vinegars, and juice
    Bring to a boil and reduce heat to low
    Simmer 15 20 minutes to allow flavors to blend and to soften up cranberries
    Add sugar and return to a hard boil for 1 minute
    Remove from heat and stir liquid pectin in well
    Add jelly to hot sterilized jars
    Wipe rim of jars with a clean damp towel
    Position lids as per usual instructions
    Process in a hot water bath for 10 minutes
    Remove jars and allow them to cool
    During the cooling, periodically "gently" invert jars to distribute solids.

Yield 7 or 8 - 250ml (1 cup) jars

If ice cream is your thing, I found the following recipes on another Hot Pepper Forum. I havent tried them yet but they appeared interesting enough that I copied them. Ill be giving them a shot this summer.

Posted by: Sauceman51

Here's another recipe you might want to try.
    I made last week n it's very good.

1 Pint Heavy Whipping Cream
    1 Pint Light Whipping Cream (or Half n Half)
    1 Cup Sugar (i used Pure Cane Raw)
    1/2 Tsp. Pure Vanilla Extract
    1/8 Tsp. Salt (i used Sea Salt)
    2 n 1/2 Tbs. of any granulated Hot pepper (i used Fresh Ground Red Savina)
    If you want a lot of heat, use a hotter pepper. Makes about 1 quart.

Then just follow directions on Ice Cream Maker

Posted by: JungleRain

just substitute the chilli for Habanero chilli

White chocolate & chilli ice-cream with tropical fruit;

300ml thin cream
    1 cinnamon stick
    4 egg yolks
    85g caster sugar
    100g white chocolate, finely chopped
    2 small red chillies, seeds removed
    2 small green chillies, seeds removed
    1 small yellow chilli, seeds removed
    300ml thick cream
    1/4 cup (60ml) Malibu*
    Fresh tropical fruit, to serve
    Method
    Heat the thin cream and cinnamon stick in a saucepan to scalding point. Set aside to infuse for 30 minutes. Beat the egg yolks and 50g sugar until pale, then add the chocolate. Remove the cinnamon stick from cream and discard. Reheat the cream until hot, then stir into the chocolate mixture until the chocolate melts. Return to pan and cook, stirring, over low heat until slightly thickened. Don't boil. Cool, then refrigerate until cold.
    Finely chop a green and a red chilli. Whip the cream, then fold into chocolate mixture with the Malibu and chopped chillies. Pour the mixture into a shallow contained and freeze until frozen at edges. Remove from the freezer, beat with an electric beater, pour back into container and re-freeze. Repeat 2 or 3 times. (Alternatively use an ice-cream machine following manufacturer's directions.)
    Cut the remaining chillies into very thin strips. Place the remaining sugar in a pan with 1/2 cup water and stir over low heat until the sugar dissolves. Add the strips of chilli, cook for 5 minutes or until the chilli is sticky and caramelised, then cool. Garnish the ice-cream with the chilli and serve with fresh tropical fruit.

Posted by: bowhunter

pineapple,habanero,vanilla ice cream

3 or more habaneros deseeded chopped fine(you pick kind)
    1-2 cups fresh chopped pineapple
    1/2 gal vanille ice cream(soften enough to work with)
    mix all together put back in freezer to set (1-2 hr)
    use a cinnamon sugar coated tortilta chip for dipping no spoon

• organic_dusty
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi Ottawapepper, well I just know I will be making the cranberry sauce for Thanksgiving!!! How cool is that? Thank you so much for the awesome recipes one and all:)
    I hope I have some then, guess I will have to hope my small plant grows big enough or beg for some more from my friend at work that gave me the 25 Habs. I brought her in some of the Liquid Gold today at work so I probably can get some more.

He He...

• organic_dusty
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Here is a picture of one of my husbands hot sauce recipe:)

Can't wait until ours get ripe again as now we have our own monster plant.

Happy Eating:)

Dusty

• travis_in_va
    14 years ago

Looking good Dusty, what recipe did you end up using for the sauce?

• organic_dusty
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi Travis, here's that recipe:

Forbidden Fruit Fire Sauce

6 whole Mango, peeled and seeded
    6 whole Kiwi, fruit peeled
    10 whole fresh Orange Habanero chile peppers, stemmed and seeded (NOTE: leave seeds in at least 4 if additional heat is desired)
    2 whole fresh Red Carribean Habanero chile peppers, stemmed and seeded (OPTIONAL)
    3 whole Lime, juice of
    3 whole Lemon, juice of
    5 tablespoons Blood Orange Juice (frozen concentrate can be used)
    1/2 jar of red Maraschino Cherries, including juice (16 oz. jar)
    15 golden cherries, fresh and depitted
    1/3 cup distilled white Vinegar
    1 teaspoon Salt
    2 cups Water
    1.5 oz. white Tequila, must be top-shelf - I like Don Julio Blanco (OPTIONAL)

In a 4 qt. stock pot add Habaneros, water and salt. Boil very slowly for 15 minutes. Remove from heat then carefully drain, saving 3/4 cup of water.

Place all of the ingredients (EXCEPT VINEGAR and CHERRIES) along with the saved water in a blender and puree until smooth. Return mix to the stock pot and simmer on medium low heat for 10 minutes. Stir frequently.

Remove from heat and stir in the vinegar. Allow to cool for a bit then pour back into blender. Add the Mararchino Cherries (and juice), the fresh golden cherries, and the tequila (optional) and puree until very smooth. Pour into bottles and store in the refrigerator.

Preparation suggestions: Make sure you wear kitchen gloves when handling the Habaneros and have proper kitchen ventilation when boiling them. Red Carribean habs are twice as hot as the orange habs so use caution. This sauce is oh-so smooth, mildly sweet and seriously hot. A tropical delight with a devilish sting.

Sponsored
Custom Residential Homes & Full Service Renovations