Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bill_missy

So mad I could $^%*^$$#$

Bill_Missy
10 years ago

Hello all,

We had a real bad thunder storm/rain etc last night. I pulled what I could under the patio before I went to work, did a quick once over and all looked good with some minor leaf damage and "beat up" plants but nothing so bad that they would not survive. All good.....

Until.... I get home from work, go look at all my babies and I see a lot of leaf damage (Okay, wind and rain) until I go in the garden where I have 20 or so plants in the ground.... WHAT, I am missing an entire Jalapeno Plant except the stems and two almost ripe Jalapeno peppers. I yell.......

Then I start looking closer and to my surprise it is fricken HORNWORMS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

After looking at the Jalapeno and removing the Hornworm with hast, I start looking at the other plants. 6 Hornworms on 5 different plants. They ate 2 Jalapenos, 1 Ghost pepper and 1 Reaper pepper and the leafs.

I have had Hornworms on tomato's but as a first year pepper grower I did not think they would ATTACK super-hots. They did not just eat leafs, they ate some peppers....

What is the remedy and/or prevention to this?????

I have used 7-Dust and have plenty left, but is it okay for peppers? Is there any other remedy or prevention that others on here do???? I work long hours at times and a day or two may go by before I can really inspect them, by that time an entire plant could be gone.

I have worked too hard and to much sweat to get to where I am... HELP!!!

Sorry for venting so much but I am PISSED!!!!

Thanks in advance for your help and/or advice.

Bill

Comments (10)

• woohooman San Diego CA zone 10a
    10 years ago

Get All the big ones. Then spray with BT or Spinosad. The reason I say all the big ones is because BT is ineffective against the big ones. Spinosad is, I believe, more effective against the big ones, but it can harm bees. No need for Sevin -- bad stuff.

If you see any hornworms with little white egg sacs on their backs, pluck the worms and relocate them to another part of the yard. Those egg sacs are parasitic wasp larvae which is a "natural" control for hornworms.

And yes. Hornworms will do a number on superhots. Last year, one got my Naga over night.

Now that you know you have them, make sure you spray every two weeks. The maters also.

Kevin

• Tiarella
    10 years ago

There will be a second wave of hornworms in 6 weeks or so. Keep watch. It's so disappointing to have crops destroyed.

• Bill_Missy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks guys.

Kevin, I have never heard of BT or Spinosad. Is this something that you can get al Lowes, HD or Walmart?

Bill

• habjolokia z 6b/7
    10 years ago

I leave the hornworms with parasitic wasp eggs on my pepper plants as the worms are paralyzed by that time and then I have an army of wasps at the ready. Any live horn worms get plucked and stomped on and guts left for any worm as a warning cross the line and you die. Using this method I only had 4 total all growing season 3 with parasitic eggs and one I smashed. I would look into what plants may attract parasitic wasps.

So far I have stayed away from any chemical and let me and natural preditors handle the pests. Your plants once all worms are rid of will bounce back.

Mark

• TColl
    10 years ago

keep the spinosad off the flowers and it will not harm bees... this toxin needs to be ingested to be at all effective as long as you arent directly spraying the bees.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spinosad

10 years ago

Bill: Yes. Home Depot has both. For BT, look for caterpillar killer( Safer brand, I think) or Thuricide( AG Southern brand). For Spinosad, look for Monterey Garden Insect Spray... or just ask for BT or Spinosad -- they change vendors from time to time.

TColl: this is true, but since you want to spray all parts of the plant, leaves and underside, it'd be difficult to not spray flowers. However, I've read that one way of getting around this conundrum is to spray in the evening when bees are back at the hive.

Bill again--- like Mark says, look into planting companions that attract parasitic wasps(and other good guys). This probably won't do you much good THIS year, but something to look at for the future.

Click on the link. A decent list to get you started.

Kevin

Here is a link that might be useful: Beneficial attractors

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    10 years ago

Apply for a concealed carry permit and then go out there and defend your home and property.

Bruce

• Bill_Missy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Again, Thanks guys.

I do not get bee's around here at all. Yellow Jackets, Wasps, Dirt Dobblers, Horseflies and Dumb bugs is it besides Mosquitos. I have never seen a Bee here in 7 years living here.

I pick them off and smash them in place with diligent hast but there has to be another way (Chemical I am okay with). My big concern is what happens when you go away for 3-4 days and no one to attend to them??? You come back to NOTHING then.

Again, thanks all.

P.S. Bruce, FYI I thought about Bird-Shot in a shot-gun...

Bill

10 years ago

Bill: Keep in mind, though Spinosad MAY be more effective on the bigger caterpillars, it's also a lot more broad spectrum of a pesticide. So, you end up killing OTHER good guys also, not only bees.

This manner of pest control can do more harm than if you didn't do anything at all.

On the other hand, I use BT all year round, even as a preventative since the only pests it targets is caterpillars. From day 1 that I set out my tomatoes and peppers(AND my brassicas( they get a drenching every 2-3 weeks. Not surprising, I've had very good success with it. I think the only reason my Naga got it last year was because it was in my FRONT driveway and I forgot a treatment or something.

I ,myself, am in the midst of doing what Mark has accomplished -- Integrated Pest Management. Google it.

BTW, chemicals aren't necessary. The above mentioned REALLY do WORK

Good luck.

Kevin

• smokemaster_2007
    10 years ago

I use BT Worm Killer by Green Light.
    MUCH cheaper than safer brand.
    $13.00 a pint rather than $12.00 for 8oz. of caterpillar killer by safer brand..
    Both are the same B.T.
    One bite of your leaf covered with BT stops them from eating.
    The caterpillar dies from a combination of starvation and exposure to the sun...
    A fitting death to ANY critter that messes with my peppers....
    Sun is supposed to mess with BT so you have to spray a couple times for a few weeks to get all the new hatching critters but it works,
    Works great on Hornworms and inch worms.
    Inch worms are really bad here.
    My Horseradish leaves are their favorite chow.
    BT stops them real quick.

Don't get Pissed,get even+. :)

Sponsored
Pierre Jean-Baptiste Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars76 Reviews
Award-Winning Interior Designer in Loudoun County | 12x Best of Houzz