Return to the Hot Pepper Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Looking for peppers (not too hot) that burn lips

Posted by bjdurham z7a GA (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 22, 12 at 22:01

Any suggestions for varieties of peppers to grow next year (not too hot) that give a pleasant burn to the lips similar to the heat in korean food?

I buy powdered korean red pepper at asian markets but have no idea which variety of pepper it is.

I grow tabasco and a half dozen other varieties. Don't care for cayenne which stings the tip of the tongue.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Looking for peppers (not too hot) that burn lips

Jalapeno, Kung Pao, or paprika

o

Good to know about kung pao. I'm growing it this year but it's still green.

o

You could try them at all different stages before red ripe. They are like the Jalapeno in the sense that you can eat them green with out that vegetable green taste with no heat like some of the other varieties.

That way if you think the heat is enough while green or orange pick then, if you want more heat pick when purple/black or red.

Here is a pic of the different stages

Photobucket

o

You could also try Rain Forest or Fresno or Chimayo.
John A

o

I'll make a note of these. I found seeds for 2 Korean hybrids online too.

Trying the Kung Pao green was a good idea. I picked one that was curling and about 6" long. The lower third didn't have any heat but the rest was pleasantly hot. Very interesting heat. It started on the back of my tongue then moved forward to the tip and into my nose and then the final burn was on my lips. Glad I planted these.

Made brownies today from a mix and snipped a ripe tabasco (overwintered) into hot water and let it cool. Removed the pieces before adding the water to the mix. Couldn't taste it at all but it had a cumulative heat. It was good and will try 2 tabascos next time.

o

So, the brownie mix calls for water and you just steeped the pepper in the water you used for the brownies???? I have never thought of going that route! When I've added peppers to cookies or anything like that, I've just used dried / powdered ones and added them directly. But, that's a cool idea. TFS!

o

Yes, steeped is the right word. :)

What kinds of cookies and other goodies do you add powdered pepper to? I have a huge stash of hot pepper powder.

o

Just a plain sugar cookie recipe and mix in some powder in the dough. We add a couple Lemon Drop peppers. You know they are there, but, they're not geared for chili heads. :-) I also add habanero powder to peach pie. 1 is plenty for me. Really, the possibilities are endless.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Pepper Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here