Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
obchili

Rain Overwatering My Plants?

obchili
9 years ago

Hi there. I just took a few pictures of a few of my plants. The leaves are getting lighter green than the dark green I am used to. As well, the leaves have holes in them, and are slightly torn. We recently had a 3 day rain with over 3" of that wet stuff. The location of the raised bed is in the north-east corner of my yard with a south view. Also, the raised bed is filled with topsoil, just under 2 yards to be exact. Unfortunately I will not be able to add anything else till next years grow. So, I was just wondering if all will become well for my plants? Would My Miracle Gro Tomato Ferts or a calcium additive be required, or even an Epsom salt drink? This problem appears to be a problem with only my super-hots, with the exception of a Trinidad Perfume. My Hungarian wax, Jim Nardellu, Rocoto, and Early California peppers seem to not be affected by this. Also, plants in pots also do not show any signs either. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you very much in advance for any help and time.

This picture is to show the color difference between the healthy looking plants and the non-healthy looking plants.

Comments (9)

• sjetski
    9 years ago

3 inches of rain in 3 days?

Sounds about right, that will yellow up certain plants. A mild Epsom salt spray may green them up a little quicker, it certainly wouldn't hurt, otherwise the plants will rebound on their own.

If you were considering fertilizing ahead of schedule, then maybe apply a milder dose.

Steve

• GatorDave
    9 years ago

Looks more like slugs/snails to me. Look for things that look like white air soft bb's. Those are eggs. I had similar issues, stumbled across an article about snails/slugs that happened to show the eggs, and realized my seedling pepper plants were being used as a buffet for snails! I went out late at night and pulled 10+ snails off the peppers and found a crazy amount of eggs around the plants.

• obchili
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Where would I look for those said eggs? In the raised bed? In 22 years here in town, and the last 5 gardening, I have not ever seen a snail or slug so I have no clue. I look at the plants daily and have not seen anything attached, unless they come out at night. Thank you.

• GatorDave
    9 years ago

They definitely come out at night. Look on top of the soil around the plants. I think I see a few in the pictures you posted. If it is perfectly round, pick it up and see if it pops. :). If it does, it was an egg.

• obchili
    Original Author
    9 years ago

ok, well they were not eggs. That was a good sign. I looked last night as well as checked the white things in the bed as well. Thank you.

• sjetski
    9 years ago

The holes in the leaves probably are slugs, they would be hiding under the wood at soil level and come up at night. Your plants are now big enough where they can withstand a "normal" amount of them. But if you start losing lots of leaves, then throw a bunch of coffee grounds, or diatomaceous earth on the ground around each plant stem.

Too much moisture can cause leaves to stick together and rot, eventually leaving some holes behind. The brown rotted portions would be a giveaway, and i'm not seeing much of it on your plants.

Also, slugs won't cause plants to suddenly turn light green, that would be the constant rain as mentioned prior. Some pepper types are more tolerant of it, others less so.

Steve

This post was edited by sjetski on Wed, Jun 18, 14 at 22:41

• obchili
    Original Author
    9 years ago

That makes sense then. I will look for slugs again tonight. Also it would appear that the super-hot varieties, and their types are less tolerant to the water than the regular heat level peppers.

• stoneys_fatali
    9 years ago

I water my super-hots way less frequently than my sweet and mild varieties.

They seem to be doing well because of it. Probably hit them with some water tomorrow.

• Ohiofem 6a/5b Southwest Ohio
    9 years ago

The damage on your leaves looks like what I have seen on my peppers and other plants with thin leaves after hail. Even a few minutes of small hail can damage pepper leaves. If you think there's any chance it's slugs or snails, sluggo is a safe organic slug killer you can sprinkle on the soil around the plants. It's cheap and doesn't hurt any beneficials or your plants.

Sponsored