Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
madcat1118

What kind of disease is this?

MadCat1118
10 years ago

So here is some background on what I have seen in this disease. I have a some sweet and hot peppers in pots, and notice this only in the red bells, but not in the yellows that are in a pot directly next to them. It started with the edges of a few leaves browning (or rusting) then a few dark spots in the middle of a few leaves. Then we got terrible rain from the remnants of the tropical storm. During the storm I noticed the spots became holes. The leaves are starting to look like swiss cheese! The next day, I discovered that my pots weren't draining like they should have been. Both bell pots were swimming, almost overflowing, but the hots weren't as bad. Drilled holes in the drip tray thingy on the bottom and all the pots drained a lot of water. The same day all of the plants perked back up like nothing happened. Nothing worsened on the red bells. Come today, we get another rain storm, and the red bells looke significantly worse! I don't know what the deal is, but my father in law is having the same issue with his green bells and cubanelles, and a little on his hots. All plants are from the same place. My yellow bells and hots don't have any issues other than a few deformed leaves and apparently overwatering.

Anybody have any ideas or insights? And what do I do to control it?

Comments (9)

• cheezdoodle12
    10 years ago

My guess is bacterial spot.. but I could be wrong.

If you do a Google image search for "peppers with bacterial spot" they look just like that. I don't know anything else about it though.

• sjetski
    10 years ago

I'll defer to the experts on the board here, but to me it resembles something entirely different, septoria leaf spot.

Unfortunately i do not know of the appropriate products to treat it with off the top of my head. But if memory serves me correctly, it's going to need quick attention.

• smokemaster_2007
    10 years ago

I have the same thing on some of my plants this year.
    Same leaf damage and spotting.
    I haven't figured out what it is but it seems to look worse than it is-so far.
    Plants dropped the effected leaves and started growing new,un effected leaves.
    It didn't spread to other plants,BUT I grow in pots so if it is soil born you might be out of luck.

I'm speculating/hoping it is something that whatever bug caused the leaf damage just weakened the leaves it ate and made them get whatever does the black sopt thing.

The leaf damage looked like cabbage moth caterpillars but they usually don't do more than eat a plant down.

I've never had the black spot thing before the way it is now on a few plants.
    I always thought the black thing was a fungus or something that usually went away once the weather got hot and dry.
    It never got more than a few plants at a time.

We have had no wet weather so it mustn't be the same type of fungus or whatever i had before.
    I sprayed with BT(caterpillar Killer) and the leaf damage stopped and no new damage,spots or leaf damage has occurred since.
    I had a massive invasion of leaf miners a while back.

I wonder if,like sucking insects they spread a disease.

I've got so many beneficial bugs this year that usually by the time I see any damage they already took care of the problem.
    I haven't seen an aphid that wasn't mummified in a couple seasons due to my resident aphid wasps i let go years ago.
    This year I had broad mites on a couple plants and was worried.
    BUT now almost every leave on the 2 mite infected plants has green lacewing eggs on it.
    No more yellow leaves...
    All new green growth now.

I have tons of syrphid flies around too.

Ya I paid big $ a few years back buying about every good bug in the book BUT they seem to have stayed around.
    I love seeing aphid mummies,eggs on caterpillars and hover flies(syrphid flies) on my plants.
    I hardly see Japanese beetles anymore due to the nematodes I put in my soil.

If you figure out what it is post about what did or didn't work.
    There are sprays that have copper in them for some similar looking diseases.Maybe try one but you have to be careful about using them,same with sulfur sprays.
    Heat ,Sun and moisture can make the cure as bad as the disease-READ the directions...

Good luck and keep us posted.
    I'd guess it was some bug caused the leaf damage and disease was caused by the weakened plant afterwards.
    It might be like my plants,IF they were healthy they come back.

• chilliwin
    10 years ago

No idea, good luck to find a good solution as soon as possible.

Caelian

• MadCat1118
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The weird thing is the holes appeared during the rain, and did not get worse between storms, which suggests disease and not pest to me. They are in pots with miracle gro potting soil. The ones my father in law has that are the worst are also in miracle gro, but his hots have this mildly and they are in old soil, again all in pots.

• kuvaszlvr
    10 years ago

I'm having similar issues with 4 plants (sadly one is my Scarlet Lantern). Thing is, with mine, the ones with the issues were all in the same area (many of mine are in pots). I have separated them from the others. We've had a lot of cool weather and rain the last few weeks, little sun, so I wondered if it was due to that. I will take some pics tonight to post.
    Pam

• MadCat1118
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Well today I lost a large amount of leaves off of those bells. Noticed a little bit of browning on the edges of a few leaves on my yellow bells. Hope this didn't spread! I moved the red bells away from my other pots in case. I am seriously considering cutting my losses and pulling these plants, hopefully can still find replacements.

• lkzz
    10 years ago

Same problem here in Upstate South Carolina. I think it is from the deluge of rain we have gotten the past few weeks. As we all know, peppers do not like too much water - too much water is an understatement as of late.

Mine are in the ground - if we are to get more rain I think I will find a way to shelter the plants. That should be interesting considering the rain has been coming down in buckets.

• MadCat1118
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I decided these were too far gone and pulled them. They might have made it, but I didn't want to take that chance. Decided to put a Poblano and an Ornamental Thai in their place (wife got a little mad that there were more hots and less sweets). My yellow bells have this a little but I pulled the affected leaves. Heres hoping these storms coming soon don't put me back in the same boat!

Sponsored
A.I.S. Renovations Ltd.
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars15 Reviews
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County