Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jutsfl

I've been banished :/

jutsFL
9 years ago

Well, I was really excited from a massive pull of peppers today. I got TONS of superhots and just as many savina's. Filled over 4 gallon ziplock bags to the brim with them.... But the excitement ended about an hour later. I decided that I was going to save some seeds from my reapers and nagas, which I did. Washed my hands and the counter and all utensils I used. My hands started to burn minuted later (and still are), but I knew this would happen - and I'm quite used to it. The problem came about an hour later when my fianc� started to complain that her lips were burning - not good - I know I'm in trouble now! Well it escalated to her tongue too... Oh, did I mention that she hates spicy food. Well somehow a bit of superhots oil got to her mouth, she is MIGHTY ticked!

...her decree is now "all peppers hotter than a habenero are never to be inside the house!" I've been banished to the back patio with my pepper dealings now. No amount of "I'm sorries" made a difference. The patio shall now be my sauce lab I suppose, cooking them down on the side burner of my grill.

Here were the peppers though -

Jay

Comments (24)

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    9 years ago

hahahaha, sorry, all I can do is laugh.

Bruce

• seysonn
    9 years ago

Bruce, this ain't no laghin matter. Jay is in a real trouble !
    But he's got the pod though.

seysonn

• scgreenthumb1987
    9 years ago

Could be worse. Last year I was seeding chocolate bhuts, about a one pound worth, and my wife started "playing" (doing this as polite as possible). One thing led to another. About 2 minutes later she's on fire from the inside out and I'm not a happy camper myself. Now , when she starts fussing about something I simply ask her ,"hun, where are your tampons?" :-)

Ps. A shower doesn't help. Makes it worse.

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    9 years ago

:-) It's amazing what a little oil can do, eh?
    A beautiful harvest....great shots of the peppers!

Scgreen, a couple of my friends ran into a similar issue on Fajita night.....

Josh

• jutsFL
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks guys :)

...and Scgreenthumb - I think yours has mine beat! Wheeeew, now that must've been BAD!!!

Jay

• plantsman56
    9 years ago

You are not the first person to have their pepper work banished from the house. I have to do all my powder making in the garage, so at least i get to stay under cover and not get eaten up by mosquitoes. I still get to cut them up on the kitchen, but I have to wait until my wife goes to bed on the back room before I start cutting. I'm usually drying about 4 pounds at a time so it takes me most of the evening. She at least knows I'm making money every time I am finishing a batch, but I know as soon as i can afford an out building to do my pepper stuff in, I will no longer be allowed to do it on the house.

• kuvaszlvr
    9 years ago

scgreen, did it to myself a couple of weeks ago (no, not self inflicted, just gotta be careful what you touch). I had checked my hands, by licking fingers to see if there was any heat. Didn't seem to be, but then I forgot I'd eaten some peppers earlier and I guess I couldn't feel the heat. Awhile later in bedroom, hmmm.... things seem to be heating up a bit (for both of us).
    Pam

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    9 years ago

I think that we all have dealt with the residual hand, eye, face and "other parts" burn. We all know we should wear gloves when dealing with super hots but a lot of times we think we will be OK if we are careful. And even when we do use gloves, we still get stung. I can't say I have ever passed it on to someone else though. Sounds like a new class of STD to me. haha
    Probably the worst I have done is dry some super hots in a dehydrator in the kitchen. We had to evacuate for an entire night leaving the windows on and fans running. My wife was not happy with that. Now my work bench in the garage gets cleared off when it is pepper drying time. I am still allowed to process the fresh ones in the kitchen. But I am sure that will end if my wife some how gets a hand full of 2 million scoville.
    Bruce

• kuvaszlvr
    9 years ago

I guess we shouldn't complain, cops have to get pepper sprayed in the face during training, I don't think our experiences can even come close to that (even the 2 mil scoville ones) ;-).
    Pam

• User
    9 years ago

Man those look good!

9 years ago

I've been pepper sprayed and you're right, Pam, it doesn't compare!

Josh

• kuvaszlvr
    9 years ago

oh goodness, now I gotta ask, either you're a cop or WHAT DID YOU DO???
    Pam

• peppernovice
    9 years ago

Great looking harvest! I too am curious Josh. Please enlighten us. I have been hit with CS Gas, but that was during training when I was in the Marines. I've never dealt with pepper spray.

Tim

• Acadiafun
    9 years ago

Great story! And your peppers look outstanding!

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    9 years ago

Yah, I also thought back to the Army and CS gas in training. In never thought that stuff was all that bad. Other guys came out of the chamber puking and rolling around on the ground. It certainly sux but it also doesn't linger all that long either, once you get some fresh air. If I had to choose, I would opt for the CS gas.
    When I went through in Basic Training, my Drill Instructor was standing inside the chamber with no mask on at all the whole time while reciting instructions to us. I was thinking, "how bad can it be" until I inhaled that first teeny, tiny bit of gas.
    Bruce

• woohooman San Diego CA zone 10a
    9 years ago

Nice haul Jay! Nice to see you got some milder varieties in there... they can bring whole lot of flavor to the party.

So, the fiancee doesn't like the new "warming" oil you picked up?

;)

Kevin

9 years ago

I'm not a cop, not military, and I wasn't doing anything wrong, exactly....

One of my buddies had just turned 18, and we were all at a party. Well he showed up with a 15 year old girl, and we said no way. He locks himself in the bathroom with her (what a gentleman), until he gets tired of us pounding on the door calling him a pedophile (not technically accurate, but the point wasn't accuracy). So he takes the girl up to his car. Another buddy and I went up to the car to convince our friend the error of his ways. After pounding on the car windows, this friend eventually gets out and yells at us. At that point, my other friend pulls out a can of pepper spray - not a stream but a cloud for crowd control - and sprays a huge cloud of it into the wind.

The cloud expands, sort of stands in the air a moment, and then blows right back at us. Almost cartoon-like. We inhaled this cloud and the effect was immediate - ripped out feeling lungs, raw throat and sinuses, incredible mucous production, drooling, and eyes that can't open from the stinging and the tears. We were laughing through the snot and the pain, though....just our luck, try and do a good deed....

We were fine in about 15 minutes.

Josh

• kuvaszlvr
    9 years ago

No good deed goes unpunished. But sheesh, Josh, what a stickler, when I was 13 my boyfriend was 19 (didn't hurt that I looked 18). That will teach to not play with items that can cause you severe pain. I once rubbed pepper spray in my eyes by accident... yow!
    Pam

9 years ago

Yeah, I don't tolerate predators....13 and 19 is criminal in my book. But I digress....

Josh

• peppernovice
    9 years ago

Hey......at least you accomplished your "mission". I can't imagine anyone attempting to be romantic in a cloud of snot, slober, tears, and pepper spray.

Tim

• kuvaszlvr
    9 years ago

well, it wasn't really his fault, my friend set us up and told him I was 17. It was several weeks before he learned the truth. So, in all honestly, I'm the only one to blame. ;-) And, I was a wee bit wild as a teen.
    Pam

This post was edited by kuvaszlvr on Fri, Jun 27, 14 at 16:06

• woohooman San Diego CA zone 10a
    9 years ago

That's hilarious Tim!

On a side note...Pam was a teen trollop! LMAO Not "Barely Legal," but VERY ILLEGAL.

Kevin

• kuvaszlvr
    9 years ago

Hey, what can I say, I'm from OK. ;-) Actually, as I tell people, that's why I never wanted kids, if I had a kid like me, I'd just kill em no way I'd put up with the cr*p.
    Pam

• DMForcier
    9 years ago

Hey, in OK you can get married at 13 (at least, that's what I heard). So how trollopy can she be?

[sorry about the syntax, but it didn't scan in past perfect subjunctive...]

Pam, when a tiny child, did you get the birds and bees lecture using plants and flowers as illustrations? (I did.) Might have had the ultimate effect of re-directing our wild tendencies into feats of gardening.

Dennis (aka The Bee)