Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gro2can

seeds

gro2can
9 years ago

went and bought some seedlings today. very little selection of seedlings. the most exotic was hungarian wax peppers. the others were red, green, yellow sweet bell peppers. got the wax seedlings and some cayenne and serrano seeds. can anyone tell me about ebay seeds from different countries. they seem cheap and exotic tnx aki

Comments (13)

• obchili
    9 years ago

Don't do it. Try pepperlover.com. You will not regret it. I tried the e-bay thing with no success. You usually get a few freebies when ordering through pepperlover.

• stoneys_fatali
    9 years ago

Yup, avoid ebay for reliable seeds. Bought what I thought was Trinidad Scorpion and it looks like my plant will be a Habanero of some kind. Hoping for a Chocolate..we'll see I guess.

I like Refining Fire Chiles too for reliable plants/seeds.

Stoney

• ronnyb123
    9 years ago

I dont know Stoney. I am not too 100% sure about Refining Fire Chilis too. I ordered some plants once and got about 1/2 what I ordered, the others not what I ordered.

He does have a nice selection this year and those Ugandan Habs look very inviting. My wife would kill me though if I bought more.

This post was edited by RonnyB123 on Wed, Jun 18, 14 at 1:15

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    9 years ago

Yep, stay away from EBAY for pepper seeds. Check out the forum seed swaps. They are typically held each fall. Also, a lot of member will trade directly if you ask. Others will send seeds for nothing more than a self addressed stamped envelope (SASE). You will have much better experiences that route.
    Bruce

• scgreenthumb1987
    9 years ago

I buy a few seeds off eBay every year. But I like some surprise in life lol.

• jutsFL
    9 years ago

Heres a link that has many different seed vendors for chilies, there are many options besides eBay (and amazon is of the likes of eBay too btw).

Jay

Here is a link that might be useful: Seed vendors

• peppernovice
    9 years ago

Post what you're interested in. I have some extra seeds I can send your way, if I have what you're looking for. I'm on vacation right now, so it would be next week before I can send them you you.

Tim

• willardb3
    9 years ago

• gro2can
    Original Author
    9 years ago

appreciate the help . hot pepper seeds are not sold by garden centers in this area that i know of. they take to long to grow. will try to trade. not worth my expending funds on seeds that will be really difficult to grow. the info and seller lists were great . thx aki.

• gro2can
    Original Author
    9 years ago

appreciate the help . hot pepper seeds are not sold by garden centers in this area that i know of. they take to long to grow. will try to trade. not worth my expending funds on seeds that will be really difficult to grow. the info and seller lists were great . thx aki.

• BryanP.
    9 years ago

Purchased and am trying to grow Carolina Reapers (10) and Bolivian Rainbows (10) for the first time this year. My excitement is beginning to lean toward disappointment presently. Almost three weeks in the soilless starter mix (following instructions sent from Puckerbutt) and only have two Reaper sprouted (2nd yesterday) and none of the Rainbows breaking ground yet. My concern is it may be a bit late to plant in the garden (Indiana) even if only the two by the time they are ready to transplant. Any suggestions for getting a "better showing", and would it be wiser to go the container versus ground route for this year? All tips from you experienced growers out there would be greatly appreciated. Help save a pepper lovers dream of concocting new hot sauces and hot jams/jellies come fall. Also, any tips or recipes for such would also be appreciated! Thanks in advance to you all. BryanP.

• kentishman
    9 years ago

BryanP,

We don't want all your pepper dreams to turn into nightmares! I think you will be best keeping these seedlings in pots because it is getting a little too far into the season to get much this year, especially the Reaper. Keep them indoors through the winter and you'll get an early start next year. The Rainbow should be a faster grower than the Reaper, but that doesn't count for much if you can't get the seeds to germinate! I'll be pleased to send you Rainbow seeds if you have no luck, and I can give you Numex Twilight and Tricolor Variegata seeds as well. Maybe you won't have your own chiles for sauce making this year, but you should be able to get something at the grocery store to try your hand at sauce making. Last year I bought Orange Habaneros and peaches to make a sauce.

Don't give up, you're learning a lot even though you're not getting the results you wanted.

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    9 years ago

kentishman is right. Grow them in containers this year, prune them back in October and overwinter them in the house. They will be ready to go next May.
    Three weeks is too long for seeds to germinate. Sure, they might still germinate, but I never count on any pepper seed after about 12-14 days. By that time, if I still want more plants than have actually sprouted, I will start more. But for your situation, a couple of each variety is fine. You don't want to have to over winter too many.
    Good luck and show us some photos.
    Bruce

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH