Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
punkrotten

Need a Pepper Identified

PunkRotten
10 years ago

Hi,

Is anyone able to identify this pepper? I planted Feher Ozon, Cayenne, Chimayo, Puya, Douce D'Espagne, and Peppadew this year. Also, if anyone has grown the aforementioned peppers could you post a pic of them? I made the dumb mistake of not marking my peppers.

Thanks!

Comments (12)

• don555
    10 years ago

Looks like a Hungarian.... now be prepared for the debate between Hungarian vs banana pepper...

• kypepperman
    10 years ago

hahaha, banana

• vermiman
    10 years ago

I thought that Hungarian wax peppers and banana peppers were one and the same. I know that the hot Hungarian wax pepper is also call the hot banana pepper.

• don555
    10 years ago

There was a huge debate, um, "discussion" about Hungarian vs banana last year. Some say they are the same, some insist they are totally different. I don't think it was ever resolved one way or the other.

• PunkRotten
    Original Author
    10 years ago

My yellow peppers have rough bumpy skin rather than smooth and shiny like the Banana/Hungarian peppers. So are you guys positive it isn't any from my list atleast?

• PepperGuy222
    10 years ago

Those look like, without a doubt got Hungarian wax peppers. Iran, I grew them last year and this looks like you took my picture out of my photo library. Practically identical to what I grew, except, my Plant was a lot taller than yours. But as for the plants you mentioned I don't believe it's any of those peppers...maybe a weird cross?

• sromkie
    10 years ago

Where did you get the peppadew seeds you mentioned? I've been looking to get a hold of some, but can't find them anywhere.

• jifjifjif
    10 years ago

Sromkie, shoot me an email (you can find my email by clicking on "My Page" next to my name and location. I have Peppadew seeds I can send you.

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    10 years ago

Hungarian Wax and Banana peppers are similar, yes.
    But they are also easily distinguished from one another. Hungarian Wax set upright/erect pods that eventually become pendant with weight - whereas Banana peppers set hanging/pendant pods from the start.

There are other key differences, as well. Hungarian wax, as the moniker implies, has a more waxy and smooth skin. The Hungarian is also more uniform from shoulder to tip, and generally less curved than the typically longer Banana pod.

These days, I have no doubt that Hungarian wax and Banana peppers have freely crossed, giving birth to numerous hybridized plants that further confuse the issue.

All that said, I don't know what these peppers are, Punk. Did the pods set downward? If so, we can rule out Hungarian.

Josh

• PunkRotten
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yes they set downward. These are probably a hybrid. I got them from another gardener/trader. That sucks. Now I won't be getting one of the pepper plants I planned on having.

• sjetski
    10 years ago

Josh is right. Been trained long ago by the parents to know the difference between banana and hungarian, didn't realize that people debated it on forums. The pods look different, even off the plant, there are some differences with the raw flesh as well. The only time i can't tell the difference is after they've been roasted/fried. Mind you this comes with 42 years of familiarity with both plants :)

I can see how hybrid banana/hungarian would be confusing though, and create a debate.

To the original poster, no worries, it might be a mislabeled seed, but it may also be a unique cross. I'd suggest plugging your pepper varieties into google images and studying the pics that come up, you might be bale to narrow down one of the parents. A quick look suggests it might be a Chimayo or Cayenne crossed with something else.

This post was edited by sjetski on Fri, Jun 21, 13 at 9:10

• rdback
    10 years ago

PunkRotten said: âÂÂIs anyone able to identify this pepper? I planted Feher Ozon, Cayenne, Chimayo, Puya, Douce D'Espagne, and Peppadew this year. Also, if anyone has grown the aforementioned peppers could you post a pic of them?âÂÂ

Hi P.R.

Crosses are always a possibility, especially from home gardeners. ThatâÂÂs not necessarily a bad thing. Some of the hottest peppers in the world are crosses that have been stabilized. *smile*

IâÂÂm not sure what it is but, assuming you do NOT have a cross AND itâÂÂs one from your list, I can tell you what itâÂÂs NOT. IâÂÂve grown several Cayenne varieties, Chimayo, Feher Ozon Paprika and Peppadew. ThereâÂÂs a chance it could be a cayenne variety, but itâÂÂs not any of the others.

I havenâÂÂt grown Puya or Douce DâÂÂEspagne, but looking at pics on the web, I think theyâÂÂre both possibilities, with Puya looking the most promising.

You might just have to wait until theyâÂÂre ripe and give them a taste. Douce DâÂÂEspagne is a sweet pepper, Puya is mild and Cayenne is more of a medium-hot. That first bite should be fun!

Rick

Cayenne

Chimayo

Feher Azon Paprika

Peppadew

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH