Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
scott123456_gw

50-300SHU peppers

scott123456
9 years ago

So I am already thinking about what peppers I want to grow next year, I know it's a sickness. I have figured out a lot of the super hots, but I was wondering if you all could recommend some peppers in the 50-300 thousand ish scoville range? So far I have Fatali , Datil, Banda man jacques and cayenne.

Thanks,
Scott

This post was edited by scott123456 on Tue, Jun 3, 14 at 23:21

Comments (23)

• stoneys_fatali
    9 years ago

Next season, it's monkey face for me.
    I heard they are about right there 300-400 grand.

Red and Yellow. I'm going red.

Stoney

{{gwi:1186209}}

• seysonn
    9 years ago

50-300 thousand ish scoville range?
    i think I know one ; Habanero @ 150k to 350k

• ronnyb123
    9 years ago

Stoney,

I dont believe monkey face are that hot. It is more about taste on this one. Most sites say about 5-10k scoville, but probally no more than 50,000.

Still a nice pepper to grow I hear.

Here is a link that might be useful: Monkey face

• ronnyb123
    9 years ago

Try the Caribbean Red Habanero Pepper. Fruity and around the 300,000-400,000 range. Easy to grow too.

• stoneys_fatali
    9 years ago

Oh ok, thanks! Yeah, I've always wanted to try one :-)

My Fatali should be podding up soon. Can't wait to try that one. I hear a little fruity but around 400,000 Scoville.

Stoney

• scott123456
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Monkey face huh? Very interesting stoney I have never heard of it. Oh yes, I forgot to mention the habs I grew and overwintered. I believe what I had was a Caribbean Red Hab, typical orange hab, and a red savina. I attempted to grow scotch bonnets this year but they didnâÂÂt germinate for me. I am also growing aji limon this year.

• stoneys_fatali
    9 years ago

Yeah. Known for their appearance as a monkey face on its skin.
    Some look different.
    I hear they are tasty!

If I get seeds, I'll send you some!
    I'll only buy from a reliable source.

Stoney

• kentishman
    9 years ago

Congo Trinidad

• habjolokia z 6b/7
    9 years ago

Chocolate habanero, great flavor.

Mark

• scott123456
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Stoney that is very generous of you. I have some seeds that may interest you as well. All open pollinated of course.

Congo Trinidad that's why I love you guys. From the name I would have guest it was a blistering hot super. Not that there is anything wrong with that :).

Mark- I am attempting to grow choc habs this year but I thought they were in the 500,000 range. Glad to know others like it. I can't wait to try it.

• Big Kahuna
    9 years ago

I've already got most of my seeds for 2015 and I'm thinking about 2016 already...

How about:
    rocoto
    bird's eye
    bahamian goat
    wiri wiri
    pimenta de neyde

• kuvaszlvr
    9 years ago

Lemon Drop! it's at the lower end of your scale, but it's worth it. Really good flavorful pepper. I found a recipe for Lemon Drop sauce that I plan to make this year.

Golden Cayenne, again, at the bottom of your scale, but it's really good too.

It's funny, our marketing manager came back from the OTC (Offshore Drilling Technology Conference) and there's a company that gives away cayenne hot sauce at the conference (this year the label is "Seismic sauce"). He always brings me back a bottle. I had never had sauce made from cayennes before... I love it. SO, guess what? yep, I'm going to make me some cayenne sauce this year (well, the sauce he brought back for me is rapidly dwindling).
    Pam

• seysonn
    9 years ago

I am also growing Lemon Drop, Red Hab, Orange Hab, Serrano, Thai, Chinese 5-color ... all in the same SHU range, I think.

• kentishman
    9 years ago

I agree with Pam on the Lemon Drop. It's one of my favorites.

Pam, please give the recipe or a link for the Lemon Drop Sauce. I used Lemon Drops in a mango sauce I made last year.

Tom

• sjetski
    9 years ago

Paper Lantern. They ripen a few weeks earlier than regular Habs and are heavy producers. It's a good bulk filler for mashes, sauce, powder blends etc.

Aji Omnicolor always ranks high. It will be at the low end of your heat scale but the Baccatum flavor notes are worth it. They always remain crisp when pickled, no leathery skin etc. Edit: Lemon Drop is in this family too.

If you are willing to overwinter, or start seed early like in December or January, then consider the pubescens such as Locoto, Rocoto and Manzano's.

Steve

This post was edited by sjetski on Thu, Jun 5, 14 at 10:15

• scott123456
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you all for your suggestions! I am growing an aji limon this year is that the same as a lemon drop?

• DMForcier
    9 years ago

Devils Tongue is rated right with fatalii for heat (around 250K average though my fatalii trended hotter). Grew DT last year. The fatalii performed better - yellow more prolific, red larger, earlier, and more robust.

Lemon drop vs. aji limon is an ongoing controversy. Some say they are the same; others no. Why not add a lemon drop (one of my favorites) this year and add some evidence to the debate?

Dennis

• kuvaszlvr
    9 years ago

Tom,

here's the recipe:

Lemon Drop Hot Sauce
    Ingredients
    1 ounce dried lemon drop chile peppers (about 1 1/2 cups), stems and seeds removed
    1 teaspoon coriander seeds
    1/4 teaspoon cumin seeds
    4 cloves garlic, peeled
    1 cup apple cider vinegar
    1/4 cup fruity extra virgin olive oil
    Honey, to taste
    Salt, to taste

Procedures
    In a skillet over medium heat, toast chiles, coriander, and cumin until just fragrant, about 10 seconds. Remove from heat and transfer to blender along with garlic, vinegar, and olive oil. Blend until very smooth, scraping down sides of blender as needed, for 3-5 minutes.
    Pour hot sauce through a fine-meshed strainer into a bowl. With a rubber spatula, push sauce through strainer to separate all liquid from chunks of pepper and spices. Add honey and salt to taste, starting with about 1/4 teaspoon, then transfer to a very clean bottle or jar. Store sauce in refrigerator, where it keeps well.

Also, I think Josh is supposed to let us know his results of Aji limon vs lemon drop. I'm dying to hear his results. cos, honestly, the Aji Limon that I have growing does not seem the same as my Lemon Drop. Time will tell.

And Steve, Thanks for the note on the Omnicolor! It's on my list to grow next year, mostly due to all the rave reviews (including yours) that I've seen about it.

Pam

• kentishman
    9 years ago

Pam,

Many thanks. I like the ingredients, so I bet it'll be good.

Tom

• kuvaszlvr
    9 years ago

Sure thing Tom. I'm hoping it will be, I just hope my lemon drops do well this year, I can't wait to try it myself.
    Pam

• sjetski
    9 years ago

No problem Scott, No problem Pam.

Scott, i'd say try both. You're growing out the Aji Limon this year, if you like it, then grow it side by side next year with a Lemon drop plant. But i would also try different colored Baccatums to get the different flavor notes. The reds will taste different, aka Aji Omnicolor, and even some of the yellows will taste different, such as Aji Chanca Yellow (a new favorite of mine, scrumptious when ripe).

Pam, glad to hear that you're always branching out. You won't be sorry with the Omnicolor. I remember you mentioning the Aji Cristal and Aji Habanero ... hoping to eventually hear your opinion on those .. both have a subtle but distinct flavor imho. I have one overwintered Aji Habanero in a 17 gallon tub, i'll try to snap some pics of it as i'm munching on the pods, lol.

Steve

Here is a link that might be useful: Aji Omnicolor & Aji Chanca Yellow

This post was edited by sjetski on Thu, Jun 5, 14 at 22:23

• seysonn
    9 years ago

Steve, I have started from seed one Manzano (thanks to Tim ). It is bushy and about 10" in height and it is blooming. But I have not seen any pods yet. I have fallen in love with its special fruit flavor. It is very meaty and juicy to and makes a good sauce. If I get any ripe pods I will make a combo Habanero and Manzano sauce with pineapple.

• kuvaszlvr
    9 years ago

hahaha, Steve, branching out is an understatement (at least for me), I think I'm over 150 varieties now (but I grow to sell plants, not to say I don't keep some for me too ;-)). My Aji Habaneros are doing well, not ready to harvest yet, but they are looking good. I didn't get any Cristals to germinate. ;-( but I do have Aji Limon, Aji Panca, aji Dulce, and Aji Amarillo.

I've been toying with getting some monkey face seeds for years now.. maybe I should bite the bullet, not like I need any more varieties.
    Pam