Return to the Hot Pepper Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Curly cayenne

Posted by scott123456 5 (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 3, 14 at 23:31

My golden cayennes are as straight as an arrow. However, I also have a different variety of cayenne that I got in a trade and they are very curly. I have found conflicting information on the internet about whether this is a characteristic of the variety or if it is due to environmental stress. What is your thought? Also, if it is a characteristic of the variety can I tell which variety I have?

Thanks,
Scott

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Curly cayenne

Pictures would be nice.

I believe you could have the Ristra Cayenne. Curling is characteristic of this hybrid species.

Here is a link that might be useful: Curling Cayenne

o

Golden cayenne

o

Mystery cayenne

o

yea, looks like Rista Cayenne. thats how they looked when I grew them. Very Curly.

o

Not sure exact species, but I have a red cayenne that does that too. Doesn't seem to affect the nice flavor or heat that it has..

o

I have Long Red Slim Cayenne and they do that all the time. I just picked 3 that looked like that.
Pam

o

Ok thank you. It doesn't really matter I was just curious. It looks like the straight one might be the outlier.

o

I grew some that looked like that a few years ago. The tag said they were "Hybrid Hungarians"

o

Mine looked like that when they were small and I thought nothing of it as I've always seen curly peppers before.

Not sure on specific genetics, but I got these cayennes from a rather respected local greenhouse (that does mostly organic and some hybrid plants).

They curled around everything, stems, leaves, each other, and even the cage, so might want to check them once and a while to make sure that you won't need to break them to get em free.

o

We were visiting a farm yesterday. They were selling peppers tagged as Cayenne that were all curly. I was thinking that they are mislabeled, as I have always envisioned Cayenne as smooth and straight. BUT now I know that I have been wrong. Live and learn !

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Pepper Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here