Return to the Hot Pepper Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Short Stubby Peppers from my 1 year old plant

Posted by jsidhu none (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 15, 11 at 23:36

I bought some of these already started plants from the local store. IT started out allright, but then the fruit started turning short and stubby. I thought it was due to the temperature last year. Well, this plant survived from last year and is pretty big, looks like a miniature tree..

There are a lot of flower on it, and some small peppers.. but the peppers are short and stubby.. I think this plant was either Habanero or Jalapeno or something along those liens...

What can I do to fix this? There are so many blooms on this plant and I fear that its all going to goto waste..

I have three plants, they are all showing the same symptoms..

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Short Stubby Peppers from my 1 year old plant

Looks like a cherry pepper to me. Hard to tell from the pics.

o

My Jal produced weird fruit at the start of last year but the fruit became normal in shape, size, taste and texture as the season wore on. Give it some time.

o

I have that problem when the temp is to cold or to hot. Peppers are picky . Like Farnell said they will eventually turn around. You can pinch off the deformed peppers. May help the others get bigger.

o

• Posted by esox07 4, S. Cent Wisc (My Page) on
    Thu, Jun 16, 11 at 16:57

If they were short and stubby last year and short and stubby this year, then I would rule out weather as you are not having identical weather too last year. I would guess two things: 1) They are normal the way they are 2)Some other condition such as light, nutrients or other factors that have not changed from last year. Those plants look pretty big and green, you might try a fert with a bit more phosphorus in it and a bit less nitrogen. But I pretty much a novice so take my thoughts for what they are worth.

o

My plants did that when i over fertilized them, all the peppers stopped growing..and stayed small untill the ferts wore off. Too much nitrogen i think. Once the ferts wore off the peppers resumed growing...It was weird...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Pepper Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here