Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
scgreenthumb1987

superhot pricing questions

scgreenthumb1987
9 years ago

I will be selling superhots this year. (Locally)
While I'm not looking to go big business just simply let my hobbies pay for itself I can't seem to find any guidelines for pricing them. I have a coworker offering 1$ a pod for anything over a million Scoville. Seems high but I don't know.

Again I'm not trying to make a living. Just help get the wife off my back next time I start buying lights, soil, timers, heating pads,.... well yall know the drill lol.

What would be yalls thoughts on the matter?

Comments (19)

• stoneys_fatali
    9 years ago

Never sold any but I don't think 50 cents a pod is out of the question.
    Heck, you went through the trouble of growing them.

Just my 2 cents.

Stoney

• scgreenthumb1987
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks. This arose from the amount of plants I have and got caught looking at led lights. .....lol

• Slimy_Okra
    9 years ago

A vendor at our market sells Naga Jolokia at $0.75 each.

• scgreenthumb1987
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Nice. Here the hottest pepper I've ever seen for sell is Caribbean red habs. Hand that's rare. Normally you've got to drive around just to find orange habs.

• ronnyb123
    9 years ago

I have never seen super hots for sale, but Orange Habs go for 5.99 a pound here.

A dollar for a super hot sounds about right. I guess the price could also depend on how much you have this year to sell and how much your trying to get out of it.

• scgreenthumb1987
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Been looking on ebay. Some of those people should be ashamed. 2 7pot Dougla(you know what I'm trying at here) for 14$ plus 2$ shipping.....so 8$ a pepper.... I need some of what they're smoking.

I'm thinking 50 cent for most and 1$ for moruga and reaper. Does that sound fair to all?

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    9 years ago

Well, depending on the season, Bhut Jolokia can go for $10 - $40 a pound. Somewhere in there sounds about right.

Josh

• seysonn
    9 years ago

They are mostly sold by the piece. But Habaneros, for example, sometimes are sold by the pound ( ~ $7/lb).
    With super hots they should sell like Slimy -Okra suggested. Put one or two in a small zip bag. You will need to educated your customer. Make a poster, like comparing Jalapeno, Habanero, Ghost, .. in shu numbers. It should sell like a novelty. People are fascinated by numbers: Make it a fun item.

--THIS SINGLE GHOST HAS MORE HEAT THAN ONE THOUSAND JALAPENO PUT TOGETHER . WOW
    (ONLY $1.25 hehe)

• scgreenthumb1987
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Most the people beating down my door at the moment are friends and coworkers. Some have found out the hard way not to use my sauces or ask to taste my lunch lol. And that's why they want them.

• kuvaszlvr
    9 years ago

BWAhahahahaha! BE careful what you say! That's EXACTLY what a coworker friend and I said when we decided to sell pepper plants in the spring, so that when we went out and spent tons of money on plants and gardening supplies the husbands wouldn't complain. First year sold around 350 plants, I was shocked, wow. jump ahead 4 yrs, yep, 4 measly years, I sold over 2100 plants this last spring with plans of germinating at least around 4000 next year. So, be careful what you wish for. ;-) Hey, but we're having fun!
    Pam

• scgreenthumb1987
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Lol. Wow. If that's the train that is boarding. ...I'm more than willing to ride. But that's not the ticket I'm buying. (if you understand that lol) I just love doing it. So it's just in fun. And if I can make some money to feed into it, well, more funds for more fun.

• StupidHotPeppers
    9 years ago

I asked the same question and my most frequent answer was $30 a pound. If the pepper is hard to find then don't worry about it being too costly. They would have to order them off line if they want some. Your the direct source for them. I'm going to be doing the exact same here.

• jifjifjif
    9 years ago

Because they are superhots and not easy to grow, I would say about $1.00 each. I'd put 5 in each baggie and write "$5.00" on the bag in black sharpie.

• kuvaszlvr
    9 years ago

hahaha, boy, you sound just like us. We do it cos it's fun and we enjoy it. We joke that we actually have a hobby that MAKES money. It's fun, but it sure is a lot of work. Although the most fun is interacting with the people at the herb fairs... although again, a whole lot of work, and when we have a line of people out the tent all holding an armful of plants, it's overwhelming trying to keep up. Plus, we're going to be doubling the size of the greenhouse this fall... work work work... are we having fun yet?
    Pam

• jutsFL
    9 years ago

For the variety, I'd say .99/pod would be just right (for large pods). I know a lot of my reapers and scorpions put off a bunch of runt size pods too. I suppose if it were me I'd put the small ones as .50/pod.

...and i don't think these poor people at the markets have any idea what their getting into either :D

Jay

• seysonn
    9 years ago

Don't under sell them. The stores sell small orange habs 35 cents each. So, in comparison a super hot should for a buck or more. A green bell pepper is often sold for $1.00
    JMO

• scott123456
    9 years ago

If your area is anything like mine you can name your price. Our options at the grocery store are jalapenos, multicolor bells, maybe Hungarian/ banana, and maybe orange habs if weâÂÂre lucky. At a farmers markets you might be able to find something as exotic as say a cayenne. So really you have all the power. People sell seeds for a dollar a piece plus shipping online, because for most of us if you want superhots you have to grow them. Since there are 25 or so seeds in a pod you could sell them for at least $30/ pod lol. Seriously though I know I would pay premium price if I had a superhot dealer near me. I would imagine it is mostly a niche market, with most of your customers being one time novelty buyers so definitely do not under price them. If they complain about $1.00 a pod tell them to go online and spend more than a dollar a seed and spend 6-8 months growing them. IâÂÂm not telling you to rip anyone off, but there arenâÂÂt too many of your kind out there and we need you to stay in business.

• scgreenthumb1987
    Original Author
    9 years ago

If I could get 30$ a pod I'd quit my job lol. My goal At the moment is I want to make about 1500$. I desire a full led grow set up that can support a thousand plants . (Seedlings to about a foot tall) I have around 250 super hot plants in the ground now. The only reason I don't have more is I ran out of lighting during the winter .I have room tho.

• Mecdave Zone 8/HZ 9
    9 years ago

Note: Peppers in a plastic bag will deteriorate quickly. They need to breathe. Better to use paper lunch bags open at the top until sold. Place an example outside the bag to generate interest.

Sponsored
Fine Designs & Interiors, Ltd.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Columbus Leading Interior Designer - Best of Houzz 2014-2022