Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
judo_and_peppers

thai pepper? probably not.

judo_and_peppers
10 years ago

so here's another picture of the first thai pod to grow. or at least that's what it's supposed to be. it doesn't look like one. it's the first pepper on the plant, and from what I understand the first pepper is often a runt. well, this guy isn't a runt. he's still quite green (only a few days ago he was still a flower) but he's twice the size of a normal thai pepper. it's like 2.5" long if not longer. so what do you think it is?

I'm thinking there's a chance the person I got the seeds from had it too close to another plant, and this is a hybrid. which is totally cool, btw.

Comments (11)

• judo_and_peppers
    Original Author
    10 years ago

actually, I went and looked at the site I ordered it from, and their pictures are of semi large peppers. so the size of mine aren't unreasonable anymore. maybe it's my father in law's peppers that I'm comparing it to that aren't regular thai peppers. now I'm just confused. his peppers are the size of christmas lights.

oh well, I'll eat them anyway. and judging from the plants, I'm gonna have a lot of them.

• daniel-1
    10 years ago

Thailand has a number of different size peppers and the one in the picture looks like the ones my wife buys at the local market.
    One of the most well known peppers is the Birdseye pepper the little hot fiery one, may be the one you are thinking of.
    We also have a pepper that looks like the sweet banana pepper but it is very hot and spicy.

Good luck with you peppers;
    Cheers:

• tsheets
    10 years ago

Yes, there are several varieties of Thai peppers. Yours looks similar to the ones I got from tomatogrowers.com but are different than the ones many here post.

Personally, I am happy with the ones I have. The size/shape is what was looking for (as Daniel said above...like the ones you get from the chinese market/grocery) and they are perfect for stir fry.

• habjolokia z 6b/7
    10 years ago

Here are what a friend of mine picked up at a Thai market and gave me four plants the pic is the results at every color change.

Mark

• judo_and_peppers
    Original Author
    10 years ago

so how hot are they? I'll be pretty disappointed if I find out they're a sweet pepper.

I love the little ones, that's what I was hoping I was getting.

the seed guy calls it a thai birds eye pepper, but searching for the bird's eye pepper shows small peppers.

Here is a link that might be useful: where I bought them

• tsheets
    10 years ago

Well, that link is a totally different pepper.

See how the ones in the picture are growing downward and yours are growing upward?

I would be very surprised if what you have is sweet. I think that you will be happy with it.

Below is a link to where I got mine and here is a pic of mine from last year.

Here is a link that might be useful: Thai Hot

• Djole
    10 years ago

"Thai peppers" is a broad term that includes various peppers in both annuum and frutescens class.

• judo_and_peppers
    Original Author
    10 years ago

well, I'm glad it's not a sweet pepper.

just to be on the safe side, when I was at lowes I saw that they had the 'correct' thai pepper, the one I had hoped I was growing. a $3.50 investment to me is worth it to get the right kind of pepper. so I now have one of those too. he's just a baby, but they all used to be babies...

here's a pic of this mystery pepper as it was yesterday. still looking forward to eating him. you may see there's a few more pods developing, though not all of them are in the pic.

• habjolokia z 6b/7
    10 years ago

I think it's a variety of Thai pepper. They are hot close to habanero range. They are thin walled very seedy peppers. I usually diced and added to soup not much else I could think of, maybe stir fry. I did make a hot sauce with them but was not to happy with them as a sauce pepper.

Here is a pic of the one I grew two years ago.

Mark

• judo_and_peppers
    Original Author
    10 years ago

the plot thickens.

on the pictures I posted, the peppers are growing upward. this was interesting to me because on the picture from the guy I bought the seeds from the pods are pointing downward. well those pics were of 1 of 5 plants. all the others are now starting to show pods of a size worth mentioning, and I'm seeing something interesting.

on 2 of the other plants, the peppers are growing downward. on two of them they're growing upward. and on one they seem to be sticking out sideways.

what the heck is going on in my pepper garden? all of them came from the same bag of seeds!

the one I posted pictures of now has 10 peppers over 1" long on the plant. whatever these things are, I'm excited to eat them.

• tsheets
    10 years ago

Sounds like you've got the right attitude at least. Who knows what you've really got LOL! But, mystery seeds can be fun.

Sponsored