Return to the Hot Pepper Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
hornworms on bhut jolokia pepper plant

Posted by steven1032 none (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 16, 12 at 0:02

i have never had hornworms before and the only plants in my garden are pepper plants. i tried bhut jolokias this year and am getting a lot of hornworms on my bhuts. is this normal for bhuts to get hornworms.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: hornworms on bhut jolokia pepper plant

hornworm larvae generally come from the soil and will go after almost every plant(peppers and tomatoes are generally first)

The best way to get ride of them, is kill them as you see them, you could spray but it'll take multiple sprayings

also if you see one that looks like it has white worms on it, let it live those "worms" are actually parasitic wasps

o

Hornworm eggs are laid singly on top of the leaves. They are small and milky white. Dust the plant with a product containing BT like Dipel or thuricide. If you see any worms with the white cocoons, leave them alone to spread the tiny parasitic warps. While you're at it dust any other solanums you have, like tomatoes, eggplants or other peppers. Repeat after a rain.

o
RE: hornworms on bhut pepper plants

I forgot to say BT can be used up until the day of harvest, just wash it off and eat.

o

there is a product at most garden centers called BT worm killer by green light it is a liquid that you put like 1 teaspoon per quart of a spray bottle and spray your plants and ground at bottom of plant about every 5 days or so and after rains. when a worm bites a leaf, he will die the next morning. I had a huge infestation on tomatoes and after spraying a couple times they disappeared. no more holes in my tomatoes.

o

there is a product at most garden centers called BT worm killer by green light it is a liquid that you put like 1 teaspoon per quart of a spray bottle and spray your plants and ground at bottom of plant about every 5 days or so and after rains. when a worm bites a leaf, he will die the next morning. I had a huge infestation on tomatoes and after spraying a couple times they disappeared. no more holes in my tomatoes.

o

I used BT earlier in the season and have no hornworms at all this year on tomatoes or peppers.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Pepper Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here