Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
scgreenthumb1987

jalapeños way to hot!?

scgreenthumb1987
10 years ago

Hello everyone. I've got a rather weird thing going on here. I planted my garden this year as normal. Being a chili head I've got pepper plants galore. From bell all the way to bhut and everything in between. I started some from seed and some I purchased at different stores. Most of the peppers are doing great but at the beginning of the season I fought with deer who would not stop eating my pepper plants near the field. One jalapeño really drew the short straw. Was eaten down to the ground 3 times, and still came back. Now it's a strange looking plant that just started producing. I picked a few yesterday and quickly found out that they're easily hotter than my habanero, Scotch bonnet and Cayenne. I've never felt more than a tingle from a jalapeño but these are rivaling some of the hottest peppers I've eaten. What gives? Also want to add that I have 4 jalapeño plants and this is the only one that's this hot.

Comments (13)

• woohooman San Diego CA zone 10a
    10 years ago

Well, if you're eating the hotter varieties green, and not ripe, I can easily see that happen. Other than that, are you sure it's a jalapeno?

Kevin

• scgreenthumb1987
    Original Author
    10 years ago

My habanero, Scotch bonnet and ghost were started under lights indoors last December. Already got several ripe peppers ( except for the ghost, first time growing them and had no they're so slow) and yes I'm 100% sure it's jalapeño.

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    10 years ago

Picture....

• scgreenthumb1987
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I get off work at 6am. I'll take one then

• Calcat36
    10 years ago

Bhut was hot in 2006. it is 2013 now and Guinness has a hotter pepper as the champ. If deer are eating your plants, there must be no other greens around. Which is hard to believe.

While Jalapenos can and do get hot, NONE of them match a habanero. I grow both. Biker Billy is the hottest Jap, and the starting point for the Habanero.

From there, we go Fatalii.

• scgreenthumb1987
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I feel the deer eating them was very odd as well. Especially seeing as my garden also contains carrot, lettuce, squash and several other vegetables. I fully understand it SHOULDN'T match a habanero but none the less it does. I eat habaneros daily. My wife hates the taste and it's to hot for her so I grow her jalapeños and bananas. Been growing peppers for years and this is the first time in my life I've ever called a jalapeño hot. (Think I may slip a bhut into her salad this year) :-D

• scgreenthumb1987
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Pics

• scgreenthumb1987
    Original Author
    10 years ago

This is one plant

• habjolokia z 6b/7
    10 years ago

If I remember correctly, a study of worm castings that contained the contents of root eating/invading organisims and the plants responded by increasing capsaicin. I think in a similar way this could be a response of getting chomped down three times, in order for the plant to successfully put out seeds it does what it knows to protect it self and increased the heat. I am no scientist but that's my take on it.

Mark

• kuvaszlvr
    10 years ago

Actually calcat, Jaloro and Jalastar are just as hot and can be hotter than Biker Billy. I grow all 3, and Jalastar are not only as hot, but taste as good and are a bit bigger than Biker Billy, and honestly, I never thought I'd say something like that about Biker Billy (Biker Billy is really big too). Some places say Jaloro scoville are 30,000-50,000, I think they are wrong, I think they are more at the Biker BIlly level.

And curious, what do you mean by? "and the starting point for the Habanero."
    Pam

• willardb3
    10 years ago

Deer eating the plant is stressing it.....its defense it to make more picante chiles.

• PepperGuy222
    10 years ago

Welllllll, we have to atleast bring this up to the table. Is it possible the jalapeño and one of your super hots cross pollinated? If they did they obviously contain dominant jalapeño traits but the taste and heat trait could be owned by a different superhot. It's possible....and so far maybe the front runner for what's going on as I could NEVER see a jalapeño being scotch bonnet hot. Imagine if a distributor messed that up and Walmart didn't catch it......hahahahaha

• scgreenthumb1987
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Lol that would cause a lawsuit. Anything is possible but I don't think it did. Want even aware that it would.

Sponsored