Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
phildeez_gw

Hot Cherry Bombs

Phildeez
12 years ago

My first hot cherry peppers are ready to be picked. I figure two or three peppers is not enough for much except stuffing and baking. I remember hearing about a famous Cherry Bomb recipe a month or two ago and would love to hear about that or any other ideas anybody has.

Thanks!

-Phil

Comments (16)

• shoontok
    12 years ago

Hollow out them peppers, stuff em with prosciutto and provolone, and dress em up or marinate em in olive oil.

Eat, enjoy.

Jim

• simsedward
    12 years ago

Sounds about right...

• Phildeez
    Original Author
    12 years ago

You don't blanch them first or anything?

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    12 years ago

There it is, Jim's Cherry Bomb ;-)

I am counting down the days until I get to try 'em out!
    The first Hot Cherries I'm going to eat fresh with a buddy of mine.
    The next batch I'll stuff and soak in olive oil.

Josh

• Phildeez
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Now I am excited, a couple have been red for like a week now. I am testing my self control and trying to let them get nice and deep red before I try my first homegrown cherry pepper. Only had pickled ones up to now, which quickly replaced my fondness for pickled jalapenos.

• shoontok
    12 years ago

Nope, you dont have to blanch em. Just eat em raw or soaked in olive oil. They are quite delicious.

I ate a few small red ones this year, and they are delicious. They have a nice crisp fresh texture to em and they have a fruity like taste to em, maybe cherry-like in taste. Im not so great at describing flavor characteristics. And yep they have a nice pleasant little burn to em ;)

Im hoping my Hot Cherry plants will kick it up a notch and start producing, I dont have that many pods on the plants that i have growing. And yep i like em better then Jalapeno's too, but then again cheddar stuffed, bacon wrapped Jalapeno's aint that bad ;)

Jim

P.S.
    Let us know how them homegrown Cherry peppers turned out Phil.

• redshirtcat
    12 years ago

So after reading that recipe I thought I should invest more heavily in hot peppers for next year. I went to Tomato Growers Supply (just googled) and had my cart all full of 60$ worth of seeds when I thought to check their rating at gardenwatchdog and etc. They offer no warranty and go out of their way to say so all over the website and the reviews for 2010 say they had terrible germination rates.

Where do you guys buy your hot pepper seeds? I'd like to start a collection so I have some options for trading and to make some tasty bacon-wrapped prosciutto-stuffed treats.

Thanks!

12 years ago

Jim,
    I've been starin' at three big Hot Cherries for days now...I wish they'd start to turn red!
    I think I'll probably be growin' these again next year, too. Thanks again, man!

Redshirt,
    I got most of my hot seeds from the good folks here. Bill hooked me up with three kinds of hot,
    Jim hooked me up with the Hot Cherries for the Cherry Bombs, and another fellow, Zander, traded
    me some Trinidad Scorpion seeds. One of my buddies shared his Chocolate Hab seeds with me last year,
    and so I'm growing from my own seed stock now. He also gave me a Black Pearl this year, as well
    as the seed for a Naga Morich from Neil at the Hippy Seed Company.

Stick around, and I'm sure you'll score some seeds ;-)

Josh

• Phildeez
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I picked a couple red ones and upon tasting found them to be a bit mild and under ripe. I will be leaving the next ones on a bit longer and hoping for more heat. Still, they were plenty good, but I did not invest in prosciutto because I want to save Jim's recipe for more deserving peppers. I put feta in one and provolone in the other and drizzled EVOO and they were not bad, just not hot enough. I can see how decadent they would be with pork!

• Phildeez
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I picked a couple red ones and upon tasting found them to be a bit mild and under ripe. I will be leaving the next ones on a bit longer and hoping for more heat. Still, they were plenty good, but I did not invest in prosciutto because I want to save that recipe for more deserving peppers. I put feta in one and provolone in the other and drizzled EVOO and they were not bad, just not hot enough. I can see how decadent they would be with pork!

• Phildeez
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Stupid phone, sorry for the double.

• shoontok
    12 years ago

I picked two ripe cherry peppers today. I dont have the ingredients to stuff em yet.

I put them in a small jar (whole) and filled the jar with olive oil. My question is... Is it safe to leave this jar out at room temp? If so, how long? or should i refrigerate?

Jim

• chile_freak
    12 years ago

in vinegar it would be safe, w/ dried peppers in oil it would be safe, I would not leave fresh peppers in oil @ room temperature more than a day, bochulism is some nasty shite!

• nico_idaho
    12 years ago

I read from someone's post some time ago to let my cherry bombs wait until they are really red, but I can't find that post so I will share with you all. I found a plant with four very red cherry bombs on it today after coming home from a week out of state and OMG they are sooo good! My hubby and I ate them stuffed with cottage cheese and they were sweet and hot and awesomely worth the wait. I took the seeds out of mine but he ate it whole. I will try them stuffed with brie next (and plant more plants next year). :)

• isawyoushine
    12 years ago

I am just now for the last week been getting ripe peppers from my cherry bomb plant. Just wanted to say that I have come to like them on a salad or sandwitch. They are nice and crispy, and tastey, and hot!
    Last year I pickled some, They did fine with that too.

They seem to be about as hot as a serrano in my opinion. is that what you folks have found?

12 years ago

I would say they have a serrano heat, but it's been awhile since I've tried a serrano.
    Going from memory, I'd have to say that I greatly prefer the Hot Cherry pepper.

Josh

Sponsored