Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
woohooman

Update -- no color but plenty of pods

My annuums are pretty loaded. As soon as I get more maters, I'll start harvesting the green ones. Here's a few pics until some large harvest pics.

The jungle

Cascabellas -- a little bit of orange on one of them

Jalapenos

Chiles De Arboles

Red Bells

Poblanos

Chilhuacle Negros

Guajillos

Big Jim Anaheims

Black Pearl --- flowering

And last but not least, a Chocolate Bhut and Red Bhut just about ready to burst with pod formation. Probably be September before I see any ripe pods though. Never worried though... I still have plenty of sauce and powder from last year.

Kevin

Comments (16)

• User
    9 years ago

Man those look good! I like the way you have "the jungle set up. I've been wondering about the black pearl. How hot are they? There definitely a cool looking plant.
    Randal

• stoneys_fatali
    9 years ago

Awesome Kevin!

Great looking plants.

My plants are not that close. From what I've heard..no need to worry about cross pollination. 1% chance :-)

Stoney

• torikul024
    9 years ago

Wonderful looking plants.
    My plants are certainly not that close. From precisely what I've heard.. no should worry about cross pollination.

Here is a link that might be useful: Some TV displays blogspot

• seysonn
    9 years ago

Nice plants. Look at the color of foliage !
    I like your selections, Kevin.
    I would munch on most of those as they are now.
    But some of them will taste better when get color.
    The one thing I like peppers that they can be used at any stage. This is a departure from tomatoes.

• sandysgardens
    9 years ago

Kevin - Great garden and peppers. Agree with Seysonn, the foliage is great - very Healthy and Happy looking plants.

Keep sharing your success with us!

Sandy

• jutsFL
    9 years ago

Plants look nice and full, nice and dark green too!

Jay

• habjolokia z 6b/7
    9 years ago

Kevin,

Awesome looking plants and pods! Are those twist ties on a few pods? Are they identifiers for crossed pods or isolated pods for seeds?

Mark

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    9 years ago

Man, such a great load of pods! My plants will never come close to that kind of production! Glad to see the Chile de Arbol...those are some of my favorites for drying and powdering.

Josh

• DMForcier
    9 years ago

toolstack, Black Pearls are not very hot, but they are seedy and tough. I consider them ornamentals only. They don't get very big - 12-14" tall and wide, so don't take much room.

Worth growing even if you don't eat them.

Nice jungle, Kevin!

Dennis

• woohooman San Diego CA zone 10a
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Randal: Thanks. The Black Pearl is an ornamental, but I did try a couple pods and they got a bit of heat. Maybe Serrano level. Too bad I can't get mine to look as good as guys like Josh and Bruce.

Stoney: Thank you. I'm not too sure about that 1%. From my readings on the forum, it seems it happens quite often.

Seysonn: Thanks. Somewhat generic, but I like the old classics. There's a reason why popular is popular. As far as fresh and green uses, a lot of my varieties are primarily used dried. Gaujillo, De Arbol, Chilhuacle are definite red and dried. The ones I use green and fresh are Anaheims and Japs.. Cascabella and Japs for pickling. Poblano/Ancho, fresh green or red dried(ancho). Bhuts, sauces and powders. Bells, red and fresh... I hate GREEN bells.

Sandy: Thanks. Will definitely try to post more when winter hits to get you through the doldrums. ;)

Jay: Thanks. Not like your jungle of Superhots, but Summer's just got here.

Mark: Thanks. Yeah --isolation. I had a roommate sew me up some tulle bags, isolated branches, and then pulled them off after setting pods. Using some old telephone wire to mark them. Need to get some on my Bhuts and Piquin soon.

Josh: Thank You. Also, thanks for the seeds, again. I call foul on production statement. Your plants always look so pristine NOT to do well. Agree on the De Arbol. People are missing out if they're not growing this variety!

Dennis: Thanks. How's that god forsaken Texas heat treating your plants?

Kevin

• obchili
    9 years ago

I like what you have going on there. I am glad someone else asked about the wire on the pod stems, cause I was thinking you were choking your peppers to change color..... Also, I really like the Chiles De Arboles peppers. They look like a great pickling pepper with many pods to use. Where did you get your seeds?

Original Author
    9 years ago

ob: lol. Actually, I had to readjust the wires as the pods grew larger to keep them from choking.

Chile de Arbol is a Mexican mainstay. Not sure I'd pickle them though. Down here in SoCal, the Mexican taco shops and restaurants have pickled carrots with Jalapenos and sometimes Japones(Japanese)(a thai like variety) that's dried red and thrown in the brine. but have never seen De Arbol used for pickling The De Arbol is almost always dried red and used in anything from chili to salsas to enchilada sauce to hot sauce. it's a true workhorse. It really doesn't get any heat until it's dried red and even more when it's toasted. It is an awesome pepper, imho. A lot of commercial picante sauces use it as one of their chiles

I've harvested seeds out of pods from the grocery store, but i got these from a member here. Hit me up later this season and I'll get some to you.

Kevin

• romy6
    9 years ago

Plants look super healthy. Keep up the great work :)

• DMForcier
    9 years ago

Kevin, my "fatalii" showed a little wilt one day but basically doesn't seem to care about the upper-90s heat. Last year on hot (upper-90s) days in Atlanta I'd see a little wilt, but no attributable drop or interruption in production. (Letting them dry too long had more effect, as one would expect.)

Of course, we haven't peaked yet - it will get over 100 soon - but I don't anticipate any real problem.

Dennis

Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Jamie. Means a lot coming from the likes of you.

Dennis: No slow down yet on flowers? That's cool.

Kevin

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    9 years ago

Hey, my plants might look pristine with their shiny foliage and symmetrical forms....but in my shady garden, there's no way that I can match the productivity of your plants! :-)

Josh

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio