Return to the Hot Pepper Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
orange carolina reaper???

Posted by wolph none (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 26, 14 at 0:49

So I got 2 pepper plants from a co worker one is a Trinidad scorpion and looks it, the other is a carolina reaper, but when I picked the pepper it was green and turned orange after a day. Every reapor I have ever seen online is red with a tail thing. Thank you all!!!!!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: orange carolina reaper???

Not a Reaper, I'm sorry to say.

Josh

o

Almost looks like a starfish but wrong color.
Randal

o

Ugh the guy seemed like he new his super hots when he gave them to me. The moruga Trinidad scorpion he gave me looks like a scorpion pepper has a little tail

o

• Posted by esox07 4b Wisconsin (My Page) on
    Sat, Jul 26, 14 at 21:02

Yah, that pepper above is definitely not a Reaper. Not even a variation. Many times peppers will ripen soon after picking them if they were close to begin with. And many peppers turn orange before turning red and fully ripe. I have a couple Reaper pods right now that are turning orange but I am expecting them to turn red after a few more days.
Bruce

o

K thanks. You guys think the bottom one is a Trinidad scorpion

o

Looks pretty close to one. I'd say yes.
Randal

o

Ok cool at least I have one super hot. Does a pepper changing its final color signify its finished growing in size or can it turn. Lets say red really early on and still grow larger? I have peppers that turn red berry fast while peppers on the same plant stay green and grow a lot larger befor turning red. Sorry new to growing.

o

Is the orange pepper I have a scotchbonnet ??

o

• Posted by esox07 4b Wisconsin (My Page) on
    Sun, Jul 27, 14 at 10:36

in my experience, once a pepper ripens, it won't grow any bigger. Not sure what that pepper is for sure but it could be. Do you have any other pods on the plant? Scotch Bonnet's are pretty hot too. Did you taste it?
Bruce

o

A friend tried it for me says it was about the same heat as a habanero. And no its my only one.

o

Not a Scotch Bonnet in my opinion.

Here is an Orange Scotch Bonnet I picked last week. I picked it a little early, so it was just changing from yellow to orange.
Orange Scotch Bonnet photo OrangeScotchBonnet.jpg

o

• Posted by TNKS none (My Page) on
    Tue, Jul 29, 14 at 1:25

Looks like the store bought scotch,nothing close to a scorpion strain IMO

o

Here is a photo of one the one and only Reaper I have getting near ripening. Hope it is of some help. Does have an orange color now, but expect it to turn red in a few days......I hope....I hope....I hope. I'll post another photo when it does.

o

TNKS - "Looks like the store bought scotch,nothing close to a scorpion strain IMO".

Unless I am completely missing the boat on a variation, Scotch Bonnets are like HABs and should not look like Scorpion Peppers. They will have smooth skin as opposed to the more wrinkled skin of a Scorpion pepper.

o

• Posted by TNKS 7b (My Page) on
    Tue, Jul 29, 14 at 16:18

The one being held in hand is what I was referencing
I have a 10lb sack of those exact peppers sitting here waiting on a sauce batch this weekend.
I gave $6.00 for the sack at a local open air market,couldnt resist.

Neither of the OP's strain references match the pod in hand

o

$6 for 10 pounds is a good price. Hopefully they have a good taste.

o

• Posted by TNKS 7b (My Page) on
    Tue, Jul 29, 14 at 21:05

Ate two for/with lunch today,very clean with typical flavor
They will be cold smoked with debarked post oak before processing.

Simple sauce of garlic,granulated onion and Acote' paste

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Pepper Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here