Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wolph_gw

orange carolina reaper???

wolph
9 years ago

So I got 2 pepper plants from a co worker one is a Trinidad scorpion and looks it, the other is a carolina reaper, but when I picked the pepper it was green and turned orange after a day. Every reapor I have ever seen online is red with a tail thing. Thank you all!!!!!!

Comments (17)

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    9 years ago

Not a Reaper, I'm sorry to say.

Josh

• toolstack
    9 years ago

Almost looks like a starfish but wrong color.
    Randal

• wolph
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ugh the guy seemed like he new his super hots when he gave them to me. The moruga Trinidad scorpion he gave me looks like a scorpion pepper has a little tail

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    9 years ago

Yah, that pepper above is definitely not a Reaper. Not even a variation. Many times peppers will ripen soon after picking them if they were close to begin with. And many peppers turn orange before turning red and fully ripe. I have a couple Reaper pods right now that are turning orange but I am expecting them to turn red after a few more days.
    Bruce

• wolph
    Original Author
    9 years ago

K thanks. You guys think the bottom one is a Trinidad scorpion

• toolstack
    9 years ago

Looks pretty close to one. I'd say yes.
    Randal

• wolph
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ok cool at least I have one super hot. Does a pepper changing its final color signify its finished growing in size or can it turn. Lets say red really early on and still grow larger? I have peppers that turn red berry fast while peppers on the same plant stay green and grow a lot larger befor turning red. Sorry new to growing.

• wolph
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Is the orange pepper I have a scotchbonnet ??

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    9 years ago

in my experience, once a pepper ripens, it won't grow any bigger. Not sure what that pepper is for sure but it could be. Do you have any other pods on the plant? Scotch Bonnet's are pretty hot too. Did you taste it?
    Bruce

• wolph
    Original Author
    9 years ago

A friend tried it for me says it was about the same heat as a habanero. And no its my only one.

• brian6464
    9 years ago

Not a Scotch Bonnet in my opinion.

Here is an Orange Scotch Bonnet I picked last week. I picked it a little early, so it was just changing from yellow to orange.

• TNKS
    9 years ago

Looks like the store bought scotch,nothing close to a scorpion strain IMO

• Bob_Mc
    9 years ago

Here is a photo of one the one and only Reaper I have getting near ripening. Hope it is of some help. Does have an orange color now, but expect it to turn red in a few days......I hope....I hope....I hope. I'll post another photo when it does.

• brian6464
    9 years ago

TNKS - "Looks like the store bought scotch,nothing close to a scorpion strain IMO".

Unless I am completely missing the boat on a variation, Scotch Bonnets are like HABs and should not look like Scorpion Peppers. They will have smooth skin as opposed to the more wrinkled skin of a Scorpion pepper.

• TNKS
    9 years ago

The one being held in hand is what I was referencing
    I have a 10lb sack of those exact peppers sitting here waiting on a sauce batch this weekend.
    I gave $6.00 for the sack at a local open air market,couldnt resist.

Neither of the OP's strain references match the pod in hand

• brian6464
    9 years ago

$6 for 10 pounds is a good price. Hopefully they have a good taste.

• TNKS
    9 years ago

Ate two for/with lunch today,very clean with typical flavor
    They will be cold smoked with debarked post oak before processing.

Simple sauce of garlic,granulated onion and Acote' paste

Sponsored
Premier Home Services, Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars19 Reviews
Loudoun County Complete Turn-Key Contracting Solutions