Return to the Hot Pepper Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What is wrong with these peppers

Posted by isawyoushine none (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 27, 12 at 1:33

All of my anaheims are developing brown spots toward the bottom of the pepper as they aproach ripening size. Then it developes into a kind of rot. Sometimes it looks like sunscald, but it is on shaded peppers too. Don't think it's bugs. It is showing up on ALL of the peppers on my only anaheim plant, and something looking quite similar is starting to show up on a few cheyannes and garden salsa peppers. Any help, much apreesh.
[IMG]http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q72/suckerking/IMG_2499.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q72/suckerking/IMG_2498.jpg[/IMG]

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What is wrong with these peppers

Sorry, image code doen't work, copy paste for pics. How do you get the pics to show here?

o

Copy the HTML code below the photo in your album(instead of the IMG code)and paste directly into your message.
The photos should show up in your message preview. HTH

o

• Posted by esox07 4b Wisconsin (My Page) on
    Fri, Jul 27, 12 at 1:52

Use the HTML Code to post photobucket images on this forum. Not the IMG code.

I am going to guess Blossom End Rot is your problem. Do a search for "Blossom End Rot" on this forum and you will get a bunch of info on it. You can also google it. But basically, it is a lack of Calcium available for the plants. If you do the searches, you will get a lot of information on how to correct this problem. It seems this is a common problem but one that I have yet to deal with.

Bruce

o

let's try this:

Photobucket

Photobucket

o

I'm guessing Blossom End Rot. My Big Jims (as well as some tomatoes) are doing the same thing.

o

thats looks more like sun damage, hows the foliage on the plants?

o

They also look like they've been set for quite a while. Are you waiting for color?

o

• Posted by t-bob west wa (My Page) on
    Sat, Jul 28, 12 at 18:31

@ DMForcier, i am curious why you think they have been set for a while? I am not disputing you, just curious. Too me, for being anaheims, they don't look large at all.

whatever the problem is, i hope you get it worked out
isawyoushine....it really bites, or rather doesn't bite to see your pods go bad after salivating watching them grow and waiting to chow down on them....good luck with it
tx bob

o

That is blossom end rot. Add some bone meal for calcium.

o

Bone meal takes too long to become available.

Use something more soluble to provide immediate Calcium.

Josh

o

Quicklime. Anaheims are prone to do this more than some, in my experience. The lime helps but I finally gave up on them.

o

You're not going to cure BER now with either foliar or soil applied calcium if your Ph is bad.

Check and fix the Ph, then worry about the calcium.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Pepper Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here