Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
scgreenthumb1987

You know your a chili head when..... (place to tell stories)

scgreenthumb1987
9 years ago

Inspired by a conversation I'm having on facebook. I just wanted to start a thread for us to share out funny and entertaining experiences with chilies over the years.

Like you might have a problem when the local sub shop knows you bring your own peppers...

Or that none of your coworkers are willing to taste ANY sauce you offer anymore....

Or you can use hosting a cookout as a threat lol

Comments (32)

• stoneys_fatali
    9 years ago

I offered some co-workers some superhots and their exact words were, "All yours stoney..we'll watch you eat them".

We are talking about a few guys that have had Ghost wing challenges.
    Had two and were done.
    These guys never heard of Fatali, Scorpion, Reaper..etc.

Losers.

Stoney

• tomt226
    9 years ago

You know you're a chili-head when you insist on bringing your own bottle of Trinidad Scorpion Stinger in your pocket when you go out to eat...

• jutsFL
    9 years ago

...when you eat Thai food and they look at you funny because you bring your own peppers because they aren't able to make it hot enough for you. You're fiancé appears somewhat ashamed. And the owner wants to try one of your so called hot peppers.
    ...then proceeds to admit defeat after trying a SMALL piece of one.
    This actually happened.

Jay

• scott123456
    9 years ago

You know your a chili head when your coughing, sneezing, and blowing your nose while you prepare something your about to eat.

• Mecdave Zone 8/HZ 9
    9 years ago

When you're having a tough time at work your go-to Happy Place is imagining being in your pepper garden.

• scgreenthumb1987
    Original Author
    9 years ago

When you eat 2 yellow fatali, a chocolate bhut, then, feeling brave, end up looking like this after throwing a moruga uv on top of it. Whole pods.

• jutsFL
    9 years ago

Classic pic SC, you know you were hurting after that!

Jay

• scgreenthumb1987
    Original Author
    9 years ago

First moruga uv.......ate moruga but that was a different animal all together.

• Oystereater
    9 years ago

You know your a chili head when.....
    Hazmat teams evacuated the entire block after you made sauce..

The DW refuses to let you in the same bed for a couple days after seed saving..

An entire dinner party was relocated outside in -20 degree weather after someone stuck a sauce jar in the dishwasher..

The Neighbors aren't alarmed to see you wallowing in the grass muttering nonsensical curse words and foaming at the mouth..

You keep a roll of toilet paper in the freezer.

• jutsFL
    9 years ago

I've seen some talk on the UV (unknown variety) strain SC, but I've got to ask - how's it compare to other supers in your opinion?

Jay

• tomt226
    9 years ago

Oystereater
    Keep some round popsicles in the freezer next to the TP.
    Instant relief.
    Just don't flush the stick... :-)

• andyandy
    9 years ago

it's not what made me a pepper head but it is ironic I became one. When i was about 9 two of my buddies and I dared each other to eat these little red peppers off of a plant my mom had as decorative. two of us ate one whole (the other wuss took a nibble). We were on fire. My mom almost called poisen control. I drank so much water it came right back up. Now I grow Habs, Ghosts, Reapers, and more. I don;t eat them raw but I do cook with them.

• scgreenthumb1987
    Original Author
    9 years ago

When your neighbors are scared to ask if you have anything ripe in the garden your willing to give away.....had a 7pot bust under a tomatoe in the basket I gave them(wasn't intentional)

And jay. I'm not sure if it was just the moruga uv, or the fact I ate 3 peppers before that one so hard to say.

• scgreenthumb1987
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Aloe toilet paper......

• northeast_chileman
    9 years ago

When you're cooking anything at our heat level the rest of the family starts to choke with eyes watering and they complain they can't breathe or see clearly. My sister-in-law claims her nasal passageways and throat constricted to the point she needed medical attention.... Thankfully she has great medical insurance!

• scgreenthumb1987
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I just loaded the dehydrator with supers and left for work. Without warning the wife...... should be a funny phone call in a few.

• The_tinman
    9 years ago

You wipe the sweat off your brow, smile and continue to eat.

• scgreenthumb1987
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The fact that thanks to Chili's I'm probably on a government watch list....Grow lights, little baggies (for seeds) and digital scales all purchased off the Internet lmao.

• ronnyb123
    9 years ago

You know your a chili head when the burn from a Habanero seems no hotter than a Jalapeno and you start looking for hotter and hotter sauces.

• tomt226
    9 years ago

You KNOW you're a chili-head when nobody believes you when you say, "that's not hot..."

• seysonn
    9 years ago

Tom,
    That should qualify me as a chili head.
    I am glad I found a qualifier, finally. hehe

• OKgrowin
    9 years ago

When people are afraid to touch cooking utensils after you used them.

When someone says their food is hot you wonder what peppers are in there.

When people stop asking for your homemade salsa/sauce because it's too spicy.

• toolstack
    9 years ago

When your girlfriend won't try peppers anymore because you've told her they are "really sweet like candy" one too many times.......man that still makes me laugh.
    Randal

• tomt226
    9 years ago

seysonn,
    It's kinda like bein' a "Stranger In A Strange Land."
    OKgrowin,
    Those are priceless...BTDT...

• scorion1
    9 years ago

When you go in Dollar General and buy all the Mini greenhouses for $0.45 and seed starting mix for $0.30 a bag.

• judo_and_peppers
    9 years ago

you know it...

when you're about to cook, and your wife, who was born in Trinidad, tells you the to make a less spicy batch for her.

when you have a small flask filled with your own hot sauce that you take with you everywhere

when your back yard is full of weeds, but not a single one is in one of your pots.

when you have no idea what all these people are talking about in terms of burning at both ends, because you've never had that problem.

when this time last year, the idea of eating a habanero whole was terrifying, but now you're not even growing habs because they're not hot enough.

• scgreenthumb1987
    Original Author
    9 years ago

When your friends watch you eat a Carolina reaper fresh off the bush waiting for you to flip out.... and you blow your nose, sip a beer, and start cooking stir fry.....just did that. Nice gut burn tho....warm and tingly feeling lol

• Skie_M
    9 years ago

Yes, I hear the call of Dollar General ... definitely plan to be growing jalapenos indoors later this year. :) I LOVE eating stuffed jalapenos!

I may not be a chili head, but nobody asks me for my black pepper jerky anymore, much less my SPICY peppered jerky ... It's always, "Do you have any more of that sweet terriaki jerky left?"

• MikeUSMC
    9 years ago

-when your wife tells you she feels "neglected" because you spend more time with your plants than her and the kids...

• SoCarRob (Zone 7)
    9 years ago

Does it count when you go to the Mexican restaurant, ask for the really hot salsa, they bring out a bowl of dark, thick, hot smelling salsa and you eat the whole bowl without feeling a tingle? Happened to me last night. I was quite disappointed.

• Orekoc
    9 years ago

Greenthumb - Oddly enough I found the little baggies at Cash and Carry, a restaurant supply store. For the life of me, I can't figure out why they have them.

• tomt226
    9 years ago

When you go to your favorite Chinese restaurant and you look at the menu and see five "peppers" next to the "Spicy Shredded Beef & Vegetables," and tell the waitress to double the "spicy."
    When she brings the check and sees your plate is clean and you're eating the last of the hot mustard, she says "you clazy, clazy..."

Sponsored