Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
toolstack

one of my tiny reapers is toast

toolstack
9 years ago

Title says it all. This is what I came home from work to find.
So disappointed. I have one left they both just got their true leaves this weekend.
Randal

Comments (18)

• northeast_chileman
    9 years ago

Another case of "Damping Off". Link below for recent advice on prevention.

Here is a link that might be useful: Damping Off Thread

• toolstack
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yeah I figured it was dampening off. I only watered from the bottom and had cinnamon sprinkle around them I guess sometimes it ain't meant to be. I have a couple more seeds I can try again. I read on the link northeast chili man posted about the chamomile tea spray to use sterile planting media. How do you sterilize it? Pop it in the oven?

• DMForcier
    9 years ago

Hydrogen peroxide 3% solution. Apply lightly to the soil.

Try not to water until the plant shows some droopage.

Dennis

• woohooman San Diego CA zone 10a
    9 years ago

Randal: did you use FRESH soil? Is that a peat pot?

Kevin

• toolstack
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Well I don't know how fresh it was potting soil i bought mixed with perlite and vermiculite.

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    9 years ago

Watering from the bottom will often cause damping off. If your potting mix doesn't allow you to water from the top, you should probably reconsider your potting mix selection.

Josh

• sandysgardens
    9 years ago

Randall - Move your survivor to a non-peat pot. They are to hard to control moisture.

Sandy

• woohooman San Diego CA zone 10a
    9 years ago

Ok. So, it wasn't RECYCLED soil? If so, follow Dennis and Sandy's advice. Though Josh's is fine, most potting mixes are fine for starting seeds.. as long as you don't overwater.

With peat pots, overwatering is easy to do. So, don't use them. Regarding the peroxide, I use 4 parts water to 1 part 3% peroxide every 2 weeks But the best way is to not overwater and have a fan on them to prevent this.

Kevin

• toolstack
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks folks, I'll have to repot it when I get home from work. I have the small pots made of coconut husks are they ok. And I got some mg starting soil. I don't think IL use the other for starting any more.
    Randal

• scott123456
    9 years ago

With all due respect I strongly disagree with Josh. I had a problem with damping off my first year. I tried the cinnamon, chamomile tea, peroxide, the whole bit. Although everything seemed to help a little, the only combination I found to be fool proof is using a STERILE seed starting mix and always watering from the bottom. With this combo along with not overwatering, I have never had a problem since. YMMV

9 years ago

Strongly disagree? That's fine :-)

Of course, you're disagreeing with a guy who's never had a single case of damping off....and who waters exclusively from the top. I don't use a fan, either. The key is a porous, well-aerated mix that allows one to water thoroughly without fear of damping off or root-rot.

Josh

• scott123456
    9 years ago

Sorry, Josh I should have clarified. I strongly disagree that bottom watering is the cause of damping off. It keeps the water off your seedlings ( stops water from pooling before it is absorbed into the mix and it eliminates splashes) . Seed starting media is a entirely different story. If you have extremely porous homemade media, then bottom watering might not be necessary, but saying it is the cause of damping off is not what I have experienced. Now for most of us that do not have homemade extremely porous mix, I believe bottom watering is absolutely necessary, along with a sterile seed starting mix, good air circulation, and not overwatering.

• DMForcier
    9 years ago

Bottom watering in a peat pot is dangerous. Bottom watering is self-regulating if the soil drains well. A peat pot soaks up the water but permits very little drainage.

Dennis

• sandysgardens
    9 years ago

Randall - I'd not use the coconut husks pots for your reaper. I'd put him in a dark colored nursery type pot if you have. I've been starting my peppers and tomatoes for over 30 years and haven't had damping off problems - I bottom water (don't let them just sit in standing water though), and have an osculating fan on low.

Keep us posted on the little fella.

Sandy

• toolstack
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I re-potted this morning I hope this one makes it, I used the mg starting soil mixed with perlite and vermiculite. The thing I don't like about mg is they put fertilizer in the soil.
    Randal

• DMForcier
    9 years ago

MG in-soil fertilizer is good stuff. Make big strong plant Tarzan afraid of.

Why you not like it?

Tarzan

• toolstack
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Lmao I really hope your right. I should probably plant a couple of more seeds in case this plant dies and so I can have a choice if it is unstable. I guess it's not that I don't like the mg.....it's just one more thing I don't have control of.
    Randal

9 years ago

I would not recommend vermiculite - it turns to a spongy mess after a few waterings and holds excess moisture in the soil.

Scott, what I wrote is that "bottom watering will often cause damping off"...I certainly didn't write that it is the sole cause.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with getting seedlings wet...when I water seedlings, they get soaked from top to bottom. So, again, if the potting mix doesn't allow the most basic of treatment, one might consider a different selection.

Josh