Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tivo532

Need help ID this pepper

tivo532
12 years ago

Hello there! I need help ID this pepper. My vietnamese friend gave me a pepper several years ago and was able to grew several plants from it. From previous years, the pods will start as green will turn black and then red when ripe.

Strange thing happen this year. It came out black! It looks like it's catching up with the season! LOL!

Do you know the exact name of this pepper? Thanks!

{{gwi:1187383}}>"

Comments (11)

• smokemaster_2007
    12 years ago

Vietnamese Black Dragon.

Similar to Goat Weed , Chile Negro De Arbol , Black Cobra ,Black Chile Verde and a few others I've grown.
    Different ones have either a Brown Black color or a purple black color in the sun.

Black Cobra-Mexico

{{gwi:1185785}}

{{gwi:1187384}}

{{gwi:1187386}}

Unknown-pendant pods-bush like not tree like

{{gwi:1187388}}

• sworegonjim
    12 years ago

Smokemaster, I think you nailed it. I guess the "Eclipse" is less bush like as that plant appears to be.

• smokemaster_2007
    12 years ago

I have the Black Chile Verde and Black Cobra outside now.
    Black Chile Verde is tree like,no lower branches.About 3-4ft. tall and growing.
    I have a collection of Gray Fuzzies.
    They are different than each other when put side by side.
    Either pendant pods,pendant pods that start out upturned or pods that stay upturned.
    Some pods are bigger or rounded tipped ,others are longer and skinnier ,thicker or thinner fleshed,fatter etc.
    Plants range from smaller tight bushes to multiple stemmed tall bushes to tree like.
    Peppermania is selling seeds this season for both the Chile Negro De Arbol and Goat Weed.

Black Chile Verde-last night

{{gwi:1187390}}

Black Cobra-last night

{{gwi:1187392}}

Here is a link that might be useful: Peppermania seeds

• tivo532
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Wow! So many names! I'll call it then Vietnamese Black Dragon since it came from my Viet friend. : )

• smokemaster_2007
    12 years ago

Vietnamese Black Dragon - Vietnam
    Goat Weed - Venezuela
    Chile Negro De Arbol , Black Cobra , Black Chile Verde - Mexico
    Black Thai - Thailand (Prik Kee Nu chanda dal)
    If I remember right there is also a Chinese version and a Brazilian one too.

Like any other pepper there are several different strains out there.
    Some only have minor differences than the others.
    Pods,how fuzzy they are etc.

• tivo532
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Is this a good candidate for making pepper flakes? Like the one for Pizza.

• smokemaster_2007
    12 years ago

Makes great powder or flakes.

• tivo532
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Can't wait to get this turn red and tried it last night. Wow it's hot! and makes me sweat all over my face! Is the scolville for this pepper 15K-30K only? I have a long way to go! : )

• melanie_671
    12 years ago

Does anyone know what is the name of this hot pepper tree. It starts out green then purple then red. it is extremely hot and points straight up to the sky.

• melanie_671
    12 years ago

Does anyone know what is the name of this hot pepper tree. It starts out green then purple then red. it has a furry kind of stem ,it is extremely hot and points straight up to the sky.

• melanie_671
    12 years ago

Does anyone know what is the name of this hot pepper tree. It starts out green then purple then red. it has a furry kind of stem ,it is extremely hot and points straight up to the sky.