Return to the Hot Pepper Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need help ID this pepper

Posted by tivo532 9/CA (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 26, 11 at 3:12

Hello there! I need help ID this pepper. My vietnamese friend gave me a pepper several years ago and was able to grew several plants from it. From previous years, the pods will start as green will turn black and then red when ripe.

Strange thing happen this year. It came out black! It looks like it's catching up with the season! LOL!

Do you know the exact name of this pepper? Thanks!

Photobucket>"

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need help ID this pepper

Vietnamese Black Dragon.

Similar to Goat Weed , Chile Negro De Arbol , Black Cobra ,Black Chile Verde and a few others I've grown.
Different ones have either a Brown Black color or a purple black color in the sun.

Black Cobra-Mexico

Unknown-pendant pods-bush like not tree like

o

Smokemaster, I think you nailed it. I guess the "Eclipse" is less bush like as that plant appears to be.

o

I have the Black Chile Verde and Black Cobra outside now.
Black Chile Verde is tree like,no lower branches.About 3-4ft. tall and growing.
I have a collection of Gray Fuzzies.
They are different than each other when put side by side.
Either pendant pods,pendant pods that start out upturned or pods that stay upturned.
Some pods are bigger or rounded tipped ,others are longer and skinnier ,thicker or thinner fleshed,fatter etc.
Plants range from smaller tight bushes to multiple stemmed tall bushes to tree like.
Peppermania is selling seeds this season for both the Chile Negro De Arbol and Goat Weed.

Black Chile Verde-last night

Black Cobra-last night

Here is a link that might be useful: Peppermania seeds

o

Wow! So many names! I'll call it then Vietnamese Black Dragon since it came from my Viet friend. : )

o

Vietnamese Black Dragon - Vietnam
Goat Weed - Venezuela
Chile Negro De Arbol , Black Cobra , Black Chile Verde - Mexico
Black Thai - Thailand (Prik Kee Nu chanda dal)
If I remember right there is also a Chinese version and a Brazilian one too.

Like any other pepper there are several different strains out there.
Some only have minor differences than the others.
Pods,how fuzzy they are etc.

o

Is this a good candidate for making pepper flakes? Like the one for Pizza.

o

Makes great powder or flakes.

o

Can't wait to get this turn red and tried it last night. Wow it's hot! and makes me sweat all over my face! Is the scolville for this pepper 15K-30K only? I have a long way to go! : )

o

Does anyone know what is the name of this hot pepper tree. It starts out green then purple then red. it is extremely hot and points straight up to the sky.

o
help ID this pepper PLEASE

Does anyone know what is the name of this hot pepper tree. It starts out green then purple then red. it has a furry kind of stem ,it is extremely hot and points straight up to the sky.

o
Please help me with the name of this hot pepper

Does anyone know what is the name of this hot pepper tree. It starts out green then purple then red. it has a furry kind of stem ,it is extremely hot and points straight up to the sky.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Pepper Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here