Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sam_hawkins_gw

Mottle Virus??!! :(

Sam_Hawkins
10 years ago

Hi guys!
I have been following this forum for a while since I am a novice hot pepper grower, this year growing my first peppers.

I have noticed some curling in new leaves on some of my plants so i wanted to ask someone who has experience with Pepper Mild Mottle Virus (PMMoV) if this is the case.

As you can see, I have topped them a few weeks ago.

Also, I should note that I failed to distinguish my plants when planting, there could be some habaneros, bell peppers, jalapenos...

I water them every other day, feed them with 5-5-5 fert once a week accompanied by crystalic fert containing the trace elements...

Below are pictures of 3 of my plants. The first one is what I am concerned the most about - The leaves are curled the most, the plant is smaller and sprouts A LOT of new leaves (I thought it was due to the topping). It also shows some brown spots on the new-grown leaves. The old ones are all fine though.
The second one is kinda yellowing and possibly showing some signs of yellowing patterns on the leaves. The yellowing could also be a problem with feeding/watering.
The third one is just sprouting quite a bit new curly-leaves at the top.

Excuse me, I am a begginner so I dunno if it is normal or not...From what I read It could also be a calcium defficiency...

To the pictures
1) 2)The first plant, the curly leaves
3) A lot of new leaves sprouting
4) Brown spots
5) 6) 7) Second plant, yellow leaves (also notice dark red stem)
8) The third plant, small curly leaves
9) Overview of the 3 plants

Please if anyone has experience with the PMMoV, please let me know.

Thanks!

Here is a link that might be useful: Photos of the plants

Comments (6)

• jean001a
    10 years ago

Virus seldom hits all plants.
    Not calcium deficiency. That would kill new leaves.
    Suspect the regular doses of trace elements is excessive.
    What rate does the package of 5-5-5 say to use? And how much are you adding every week?

Another question for you: Why are the plants indoors?

• Sam_Hawkins
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi, thanks for the response.
    I'll take it one by one:

Virus seldom hits all plants.
    Those are only 3 of my 18, only that look kinda could-be-ill, others are just fine

Not calcium deficiency. That would kill new leaves.
    What do you mean? For example this guy seems to have similar problem

Suspect the regular doses of trace elements is excessive.
    Aight, I will cut back the ferts...also, I found somewhere it could be a water PH problem, since I did not test my water yet, that could be the case (will buy a tester asap)

What rate does the package of 5-5-5 say to use? And how much are you adding every week?
    They say 15ml to 4litres of water and feed once in 2 weeks, I am giving them small doses (same concentration) once a week.

Why are the plants indoors?
    That was only for the photos, they are normally outside on my windows (I live in a flat). However, some of the bigger plants tend to struggle with direct sunlight (windows are faced to east, so the sun is shining on them ~7am-12am), tilt drastically and seems to have little sunburns, but when they're on the window inside of the room, they seem fine. I also put the one looking the worst away from the others, inside, since I still dunno if it isn't a virus or something.

Thanks again, I bought some Mg and Ca, so will feed it a little with this (can't do any harm, right?) I am also increasingly more suspecting it could be aphids, I noticed some tiny little black dots, so will get an magnifying glass and have a look.

• sjetski
    10 years ago

The plants are fine and healthy, you're perilously close to giving them too much love though.

Water thoroughly, but sparingly and consistently, and allow for some dry time between waterings. Sounds complicated but eventually you'll get the knack for it.

The plant with yellow leaves is either suffering from too much water, inconsistent watering, or low oxygen in the root zone (tightly packed soil with no perlite). There's a small chance it could be something else, like low nitrogen for instance, but i highly doubt it.

Back off on the ferts, and only feed Magnesium and Calcium very sparingly as you can throw off the nutrient balance, or raise the PH too high.

Your plants need more sun, not less. Introduce them to direct outdoor sun slowly. Only 30 minutes on the first day, 45 minutes the second day, 90 minutes the third day, then pull them into the shade afterwards. Most modern windows will filter out certain rays that plants need.

• Sam_Hawkins
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanx guys...I will try to overreact less :)

One last thing, isn't it a leaf spot? Can someone check {{gwi:1187558}} if it isn't the leaf spot? It seems to be getting a bit worse on the leaf...

• sjetski
    10 years ago

Very unlikely, what you have in that picture is harmless in my experience.

Bacterial leaf spot often starts as a small circle, about the size of the number "0" on your keyboard. As the spot ages it gets a brown color fringed with yellow.

Here is a link that might be useful: example pics

• Sam_Hawkins
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks guys, I am happy to hear that :)

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County