Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
habjolokia

Tiny ripe habanero pod?

habjolokia z 6b/7
10 years ago

I am growing white habanero, a lot of the pods 90% are very tiny and ripening. The other 10% are only double the size but still small for a habanero. I have never grew this variety, is something wrong or is this how they grow? Do I have a tepin/pequin white Hab?

Don't let this pod fool you, I popped it in my mouth and it had every bit of heat a larger habanero would have in a tiny package whewww it was hot!

Mark

This post was edited by habjolokia on Tue, Jul 16, 13 at 7:45

Comments (18)

• smokemaster_2007
    10 years ago

I had a white habanero called White Pearl that put our round pods.
    They were small too.
    A few were jelly bean shaped but not many.

Might be what you have.
    They were also almost Pure white rather than yellow white like some other ones are.

• habjolokia z 6b/7
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi Smoke, possibly what I have. These are tiny but the one I ate in the above pic had no seeds. The others I will leave on longer to see if I will get seeds or not. I think the larger ones will contain seeds vs the smaller ones. These go from green to yellow white to white. Thanks for the post.

I crossed this habanero parent plant with a Bhut :-) 2014 will see how it turnes out.

Mark

• judo_and_peppers
    10 years ago

no seeds? that's far more interesting to me than the size. I've never heard of that. even the tiniest peppers I've opened up have had seeds. underdeveloped seeds, but they were there. also, how well is that cross gonna work, if there are no seeds?

• smokemaster_2007
    10 years ago

No seeds has nothing to do with pod size,more to do with if the bud was pollinated I think.

I did find the White pearls had thick flesh and only a few seeds per pod.

I like white habs for their strong hab./chinense taste.
    Only Better variety with the same taste is charapita.
    Short heat but long lasting Chinense taste.

But I never considered white habs as being all that hot.
    Hot ,yes but most habs are as hot or hotter with less of taste.

Try Charapita if you like white habs or the generic hab taste but want a heat that isn't as long lasting.

Both are on my favorite list,if you don't mind picking a lot of small pods.

PM me for a trade for seeds or sasbe.

White Habs are cool but Charapita is great.
    Both are small pods but to me their taste is hard to find in most other chinense varieties.
    Kinda like Frutescense,a hot burst of heat with a longer lasting taste.
    Frutescense are a different,hotter burn but the taste lasts about the same time.

• sandysgardens
    10 years ago

I wonder if you have a "White Bullet' Hab. They are small and have good heat. I've been growing them for years now and the size of the Hab always fools someone into not thinking there's much punch until they pop the pod into their mouth like it's a jelly bean. Each plant puts out ton of pods too.

The Charapita sounds interesting, I'll have to look into that one.

Here is a link that might be useful: Chilibase info - White Bullet Habanero

• habjolokia z 6b/7
    Original Author
    10 years ago

It could be but I received seeds for white Hab and white bullet, I planted the white Hab. Could be the same though.

Finally a larger pod contained seeds so I am ok there on my cross with a Ghost.

• Djole
    10 years ago

I've got an orange habanero that grows like that - hundreds and hundreds of minihabs. It's an overwintered plant, a late plant last season which didnt fruit since it became too cold, so i placed it inside, and pruned it twice before taking it out this spring.
    I'll take and post pictures tomorrow.

Cheers,
    Djole

• habjolokia z 6b/7
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, I would like to see a pic to compare. The plant was started from seed so not sure if its an issue or just how this white Hab grows.

Mark

• tony469
    10 years ago

I have some yucatan white habs that look just like those..it's a real short bushy plant.

• habjolokia z 6b/7
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Tony, for an additional possibility. I don't think my plant is short and bushy though.

• tony469
    10 years ago

Mines in the front yard..fits in

• Djole
    10 years ago

Mark, I've just uploaded the photos, since i don't want to spam the thread you can check them out here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/78356559@N08/sets/72157634807162266/

I've compared them on photos to regular sized chocolate habanero, as well as other larger pods of the same plant that mini habs came from. There were around 50 tiny ones, but i picked most of them a couple of days ago, before i took the photos. They have the standard heat one would expect from a hab, but all the tiny pods ripened very early and fast.

Cheers,
    Djole

• cjohansen
    10 years ago

This happened to me as well. I have some orange Habanero plants that never really acclimated well to the raised bed. Plants are small and on the yellow side, but produces quite a lot of fruit. To my disappointment they're ripening while still very small. Heat is there, flavor is there, but the volume is not. Some pods are a little bigger, but still small. Also: No seeds.

{{gwi:1187772}}

• habjolokia z 6b/7
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Djole and cjohansen thanks for the updates and pictures. I wonder if I should pull all my pods to see if I can get the plant to produce larger pods or is this the way the white Hab type I have.

Mark

• User
    10 years ago

Hey Mark, that shot of your White Hab plant looks a lot like the Hab White Bullet I've grown. I vaguely think I may have sent you some Bullet seeds in the past. If your seed source for this plant was me, you've got bullets ;-)

• scorpion_john
    10 years ago

Mark, i would say they look like white bullet if Bill sent you seeds for that. i also have a Peruvian white hab growing this year from free seed that Judy a pepperlover sent me. it looks a lot like that but its a lot lighter white, are you sure those are fully ripe? the Peruvian stayed that color for a long time before it lightened up. John

• judo_and_peppers
    10 years ago

hey, if they taste good, and have the desired heat, why not be happy about a pepper that you don't need to clean the seeds out of? peppers seem rather prone to mutation. kinda cool, IMO.

• habjolokia z 6b/7
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi Bill, I received quite a bit of seeds from you but these were from another member.

John here is a pic of the stages

Judo good point. I wanted to make sure they would have seeds since I am crossing this with a Bhut. But the later fruits do have seeds.

Mark

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville