Return to the Hot Pepper Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bell peppers- are they also perennials?

Posted by noamsmom Israel (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 10, 07 at 8:13

I know they're not strictly *hot* peppers, but I thought I might get more answers here than on the veggie forum. We only rarely get frost here, and I understand hot peppers can be treated as /are perennials. Is it possible to overwinter bell peppers outside and have viable peppers next year as well?

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bell peppers- are they also perennials?

All peppers are perennials. I have not tried overwintering bells but I don't see why not.

john

o

• Posted by jonv 4b to 5a (My Page) on
    Tue, Jul 10, 07 at 16:27

well im in omaha and the winter gets pretty damn cold....im new to gardening, and maybe this is a bone head question. what is over winter?....or what do i have to do to the plants?

o

Bring them inside! :)

o

Well, John F and I are waaaayyyyy north of Omaha and we both overwinter chiles inside with success.

Grow the chile in a pot during the summer and when cold weather comes, prune the plant back and bring it inside the house. Keep it warm and give it as much light as you can.

The chile will flower and fruit much earlier next summer.

o

LOL.......i thought you all meant i could leave the plants outside!!!.....hahaha i thought there is no way these suckers will make it through the winter no matter what i do to em

o

The original poster lives in Israel and ,perhaps does not have to deal with frost.

Johnf

o

Hi all
Tropically speaking,I find bell peppers to be very difficult to grow on past the 6 month period. I like to consider them annuals because even if they press on past 6 mts, they look miserable and fruit size and quality diminish rapidly. Pruning only gives a little extension on life span. I suggest anyone trying to grow bell peppers as a perennial use an open pollinated variety. The hybrids produce heavily early and then are spent and deteriorate very quickly after that.They also seem to genetically self destruct.

o

while not a bell pepper, i have successfully over-wintered carmen, which is a sweet bull's horn variety. gypsy is another sweet non-bell to consider.

o

I have an orange Bell Pepper on my South-facing enclosed-porch that has blooms/peppers all over it. I brought it in last fall before a frost because it had a dozen peppers on it which all ripened. After we harvested them, I just let it be and was surprised when it suddenly began to put out huge blooms and now has numerous peppers. It has a tomato plant next to it that I brought in...we have collected a half dozen tomatoes in the last 2 weeks or so. I'm really pushing my hubby for a greenhouse!

Peggy

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Pepper Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here