Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
madcat1118

What causes yellow veins in the leaves?

MadCat1118
10 years ago

A little google searching didn't really show up with anything. So my yellow bells have been getting some leaves with yellow veins. What causes this? Nutrient deficiency? They are in pots, weather has been in the high 90s with high humidity lately. The peppers on the are in the process of ripening. Been about a week since I hit them with 5-1-1 fish ferts. Thinking about switching to something less focused on N, like maybe a low dose of MG Tomato.

Comments (8)

• PepperGuy222
    10 years ago

To start I believe those leaves are a little sunburned causing the yellow tint and even the burnt tips. So, that is no worry, and for the yellow veins I would maybe pick up some blood meal from Walmart if you're that worried, blood meal helps with nitrogen deficiency. A but oregon deficiency causes yellowing leaves, so maybe look it up and see if it matches.

Otherwise, I don't think you're plants are looking bad at all, but, if you're worried, $6 on blood meal would help a little.

• MadCat1118
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Didn't know those tips were sunburned. Never worried about them since they didn't get too bad. I've always been a little concerned about over-doing the nitrogen, but maybe I will hit them with some ferts today. I will check the N value on blood meal and see how I feel about that vs a different N source. These have been doing good so I mainly wanted to make sure I didn't miss some sort of serious problem. These are the only ones displaying these symptoms too.

• MadCat1118
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I don't know if this shows the colors well enough... but this was a hot portugal where the yellowing is worse than just the veins. I hit them with a 1/4 dose of MG tomato (18-18-21) yesterday afternoon to see how they would react to more fertilizing. Still look like an N deficiency, or something else?

• PepperGuy222
    10 years ago

The second plant looks perfectly gone, new growth is usually a little yellow, give it time and well see

• MadCat1118
    Original Author
    10 years ago

They are greening up some after the MG, so I think I was just going too light on ferts in fear of N burn. But you're probably right that the second plant is just from new growth. I'm glad I'm getting ripening peppers so I can stress out less about the actual plants.

• PepperGuy222
    10 years ago

Now it's a waiting game which I feel is the worst, I have 30+ Naga Vipers that are green and just sitting there, not red yet. Patience is an awful friend lol

• MadCat1118
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I hate waiting too. I have picked two hot cherries and two bells so far, and have more bells, hot cherries, and cayennes ripening. Finally got the start of some peppers on my Thai, but nothing on the poblano yet... I'm going to have to change my gameplan for next year so I have something to eat at this time while I'm wondering how long it takes for a stupid cayenne to ripen.

• Michael Warren
    10 months ago

I think the yellow veins indicate that it lacks iron, but I'm not sure. If the soil PH is too high, that prevents plants from absorbing iron since it is absorbed at levels below 6.0 PH. Also, too much water can prevent roots from absorbing iron. A little oatmeal mixed in the soil or in the hole may help solve the iron deficiency.

Sponsored
Outdoor Spaces
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars19 Reviews
Experienced Full Service Landscape Design Firm Serving Loudoun County