Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kuvaszlvr

seed drying

kuvaszlvr
10 years ago

Hey guys, just curious to hear how everyone dries their seeds.

Right now I have many paper towels sitting on a table with seeds and names written on the towels. I also have those beads to put into bags to help dry out the seeds, I don't use them much because I am afraid of over-drying the seeds. But, it seems like there ought to be a better, more efficient way to dry the seeds. I also find that a dog's tail swishing by sometimes moves seeds around, I've found a few off of the towels.
Pam

Comments (11)

• tony469
    10 years ago

I dry mine on paper but use plain white printer paper..it's easier to remove seeds if they stick..you want to store them in paper envelopes not plastic baggies.so they stay dry..but then again I only store them a few months and then it's time to plant again..

• kuvaszlvr
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the input Tony. Interesting, I always store mine in plastic as I figured it would keep them sealed better than paper (less porous). But also, I store mine until I use them all. ;-) I actually have some seeds from 1997 (those are in their original packages kept in the freezer), I don't have any collected seeds over 3 yrs old.
    Pam

• mctiggs
    10 years ago

The problem with using baggies for "fresh" seeds is that, if there is even a tiny bit of moisture the seeds may be ruined. I put them in paper envelopes and leave them in a place where there is little/no humidity. I'm more concerned about trapping the moisture in that any getting in through the pores of the paper. Stock up on some "key envelopes" from an office supply company.

• maple_grove_gw
    10 years ago

I put them in little paper Dixie cups. It's a good way to keep them contained and separated when drying multiple types at once. I put the cups in my basement next to the dehumidifier for ~a week.

Alex

• habjolokia z 6b/7
    10 years ago

I dry mine on a plate with a paper towel covering them. Then store in a plastic bag, I do tear a piece of a paper towel and drop it in the bag, I guess that would absorb any lingering moisture. This method has not failed me yet.

Mark

• judo_and_peppers
    10 years ago

so when I try to dry seeds, I need to find a place with no humidity. so I should store them outside of florida? I don't think there's too many places I can think of without humidity around here.

• MadCat1118
    10 years ago

Judo, if your house has air conditioning, the humidity in there should be low enough to air dry seeds. I would just put them by a sunny window if possible.

• woohooman San Diego CA zone 10a
    10 years ago

Judo:

LOL... Just don't put them in a bathroom or above the sink. I'd do what madcat recommended, but I'd take the temp of that windowsill -- they can get hot.

Kevin

• kuvaszlvr
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Judo, you can also get some of the seed drying beads, put 1 or 2 in a bag for a week. I'm in OK and we have horrible humidity too, (it was 81 last weekend- unheard of for July- and 90% humidity, it was too miserable to do anything outside ;-() I dry mine in the sunroom, with no problems, other than dog tails.

Thanks for all the ideas guys. I like the cup idea, I have tons of little dixie cups, I'll try that. Paper towels on a table, with big dog tails and a ceiling fan isn't optimal.

Pam

• scorpion_john
    10 years ago

Judo, just spread them out thin, on a paper plate you don't want piles of seeds. they will dry anywhere it will just take longer if its more humid. just make sure the wind don't grab the paper plate. it takes a lot less of a breeze than you think, (i learned the hard way) now i just thumb tac the plate down since i dry them on my work bench in the garage. John

• noinwi
    10 years ago

I've used coffee filters(the bowl shaped ones). I write the name on them, add seeds and stack them loosely in a colander for better circulation and they don't take up much space.

Sponsored
A.I.S. Renovations Ltd.
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars15 Reviews
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County