Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kuvaszlvr

municipal compost

kuvaszlvr
10 years ago

I came across something I thought you guys might find interesting. I was going through a book of Geological Society Abstracts from a recent meeting, there was an abstract about municipal compost geochemical fingerprints and metal loading. They stated that in Germany they realize the value of compost as a soil enhancer therefore the federal government is in charge of quality control. Here in the US that is not the case and thus municipal compost can be contaminated with lead and other toxic heavy metals making it unfit for urban gardening. They tested some compost from Boston, MA and the lead concentrations ranged from 330-389mcg/g, which is 2.4x higher than the German benchmark. German compost ranged from 15-50mcg/g. (authors: FItzstevens, Maia G., et al)

I just thought it was interesting, especially since the guy I get my compost from for my raised beds uses municipal sources to make his compost.
Pam

Comments (7)

• smokemaster_2007
    10 years ago

Here we have compost from 3 sources.
    The electric company(tree trimmings etc) the green trash cans and the sewage treatment plants.
    I don't like any of them.
    The first 2 have a lot of trash in them,glass etc,You have to screen it,but there is still small sharp and nasties in it and here it might contain different toxic wood chips.

The sewage stuff they cut with sand etc. so it meets safety standards but if you use it every year the toxins will collect and your yard becomes a hazardous waste site.

Years asgo we used a lot of Kellog Grow mulch tilled in the soil under sod for new homes.
    Growmulch made things grow great.
    It is composted sludge from sewage treatment plants.
    Now the bag has a warning on it about possible health concerns.
    I don't think the amounts we used would be a problem but back then people used it in their garden.

Now toxic metals are only part of the story.Drugs flushed in a toilet and benzene etc. that bonds with just about anything are a real concern.
    A lot of stuff bonds with whatever and never really goes away.It just changes form according to whatever it is exposed to.
    Some states Etc. are really pushing the sewage sludge ,it's cheaper to get people to use it than it is to have to haul it away.

Everything is advertised as safe until tons of people get the nasties from it,years later.
    I think you are wrong about the lack of testing.They just dillute the stuff until it meets standards.
    As I said IF you used it once you might be OK,but long term use is going to cause you problems for sure.

They sell a product and don't give you the whole facts.
    They sell the waste treatment stuff that technically is semi cool as sold to you.What is in your pickup.
    BUT you might be putting 5 loads in your backyard that total make some real nasty soil.
    If you use it for a few years you are really screwed.

How does that kid of yours like his 3rd eye and are you still in cancer remission?
    Kinda nice that your garden glows in the dark though.Easier to check out what keeps eating your vegies.

• sjetski
    10 years ago

I never trusted the sewage sludge either, and i've seen treated woods cut up in some sources as well (pallets etc),

A quick cheap way to build up compost in your soil is to use leaves in the fall. Get it from trusted sources, like friendly neighbors, sift out any tree branches, then cut it up with a good lawn mower. I would stay away from walnut leaves though because they might contain that growth inhibitor.

A secondary source would be leftover bags of pine bark mulch, some stores practically give it away in the month of september (walmart $1 a bag). Lay the mulch over your pile of autumn leaves, and you'll have some kick-butt soil come next season.

• kuvaszlvr
    Original Author
    10 years ago

>I think you are wrong about the lack of testing.

Not me smoke, I just regurgitated what the authors wrote (no ad libbing, I had the abstract in front of me and just wrote - slight paraphrasing in order to keep it legal- what they stated. I haven't taken the time to look into it (not interested enough really, heck, I grew up with lead paint, I'm still alive so I'm not that worried, but I thought there might be some people interested in the abstract - I did think it was interesting).
    Pam

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    10 years ago

I never use community compost/mulch due to the transmission of pathogens from unhealthy plants/trees, as well as toxins and other chemicals that folks use indiscretely in their yards. It's just not a risk that I'm willing to take, especially when I care so diligently for my own plants.

Josh

• seysonn
    10 years ago

There are different municipalities that do thing differently. Just want to give you two examples:

1- Westport , CT. They have a separate strict dump just for garden waste, trees, shrubs, fall leaves etc. The residents , landscapers,.. dump the stuff for free. The city makes mulch and compost and sell it at a very low cost.

2- Cobb County , GA. the county offers free mulch for its residents : It is made from the sewage and the trash collected from houses.

I am sure there are other municipalities with similar methods. My friends live in Westport, Ct and I have been to the dump facilities many times. They have very strict control. There are probably more than 4 categories of dumps, one is just for mulching and composting. VERY RESPONSIBLE. I admire them.

• woohooman San Diego CA zone 10a
    10 years ago

Mine's like the 1st one you mentioned seysonn.

I use it. At 12/yd, it can't be beat. I do make my own also though. My plants look fine and the worms are happy.

I hear all kinds of stories on GW about organic compost(which, by the way cost me 2.5 times as much recently and they gave me just ONE yard -- the dump always fills my truck and then some) tainted with herbicide and my plants never look like theirs.

I smoke, add sugar to my 2 huge cups of coffee each morning, occasionally drink, and love fatty foods with my chiles and veggies --- I'll die of heart disease or diabetes before my pretty good soil gets me.

Besides, who the hell wants to grow to be 90???

Kevin

This post was edited by woohooman on Fri, Jul 26, 13 at 14:00

• kuvaszlvr
    Original Author
    10 years ago

BWAHAHAHAHAHA!!! my thoughts exactly Kevin (although I quit smoking many years ago - made me nauseous, seems stupid to continue to do something that makes you sick to your stomach ;-)) I also love my Godiva Chocolate liqueur with raspberry liqueur. Given the option, I'd rather die now than live my final years in a nursing home. Come on heart attack!

Pam

Oh yeah, and I used treated lumber for my raised beds, oh dear, am I going to die? sorry couldn't resist.

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio