Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bob_mc_gw

First Ghost Pepper of the season.

Bob_Mc
9 years ago

This one almost got me thinking about divorce. I went out earlier in the evening to check on its progress and decided to take a photo of it on the plant. I returned to the house and came back with my camera. It was gone. I found it in the basket my wife was carrying around the garden with the other veggies she was harvesting. Needless to say, we had a heated argument about what she could and could not harvest.

Comments (11)

• StupidHotPeppers
    9 years ago

Haha that is funny. I don't blame you though I would have done the same. To be honest I am skeptical that that is a Ghost pepper. I'm not saying it isn't but the shape of it makes me wonder. If you look online at photos you will see that they are a little bigger in size and more longgated. But maybe it is.

• BrewJolokia
    9 years ago

That does have more of a scorpion look to it for whatever reason. Either way that is a big one!

• Bob_Mc
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I do believe you're right. My other ghost peppers, which I grew from seeds, look nothing like this. I bought this plant from a local nursery. I consider them very reputable, but even the nurseries can have a mix up now and then. I just compared the plant this pepper came from and a Caribbean Red Habanero bought at the same nursery. The pod size and shape, plus the leaf structure are very similar, if not identical.

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    9 years ago

Yes, you are right to be skeptical - that is not Bhut Jolokia.
    Most likely a Hab variety or a Hab cross of some sort. Nice and big, though!

Josh

• BrewJolokia
    9 years ago

Here is why I thought trinidad. I'm growing one myself and found it to be strikingly similar. Not to say it couldn't be something else. But I don't see that shape being bhut.

• DMForcier
    9 years ago

Don't be too hard on the wife. She has accepted your weaponized fruit as a vegetable and not just an expression of your male mid-life crisis.

So be nice to her.

Dennis

• siouxzin
    9 years ago

It looks exactly like my Trinidad Scorpions.

• Bob_Mc
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I thought I'd add a photo of the plant I've been calling a Ghost Pepper. Maybe this photo will be more helpful in identifying what it actually is.

As for my little disagreement with the wife, I hope everyone realized it was just an attempt on my part to be humorous. It's going to take a lot more than a pepper to undo what we've had for the past 40 years. Actually, my wife was just trying to be helpful as I've been unable to hold my end up with the garden chores. I've been battling cancer for the past 5 months and some days I just don't have the energy to get the job done. She's a great lady.

• DMForcier
    9 years ago

Like a pet, the garden is a great place to take your mind off your problems. Everyone should have one.

Good fortune!

Dennis

• John A
    9 years ago

Bob, et. al., Here's a good, concise link on the ghost pepper. Click on the photo to enlarge and note the ripply skin.
    John A

Here is a link that might be useful: Ghost Pepper

• Bob_Mc
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the link John. This was my first year growing ghost peppers, and I now realize this plant is not what is was labeled at the nursery. I do have some chocolate ghosts that do display the proper shape, size, and skin texture. No comparison between the two.

I'm not completely sold on the thought it is a Trinidad Scorpion, though. I've grown these in previous years and mine all had a very bumpy skin texture. These are almost smooth. They also don't display the "stinger" shape that gave the Scorpion its name. I'm inclined to agree with one of the earlier posters that it is a habanero or hybrid.

I have a Caribbean Red, with a few pods getting ready to ripen. I'll post a side by side shot when they do, as I think these two plants are one in the same.

Whatever it turns out to be, the recipients of the peppers I grow will still be happy. Most of my garden harvest goes to a church run food bank, but the super hots go to a relative of a work associate that makes one mean hot sauce with them. He usually reciprocates by sending me back at least one small bottle of the sauce. I won't be able to try it this year, but hoping to do so next season.

Sponsored
Fourteen Thirty Renovation, LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Professional Remodelers in Franklin County Specializing Kitchen & Bath