Return to the Hot Pepper Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Jalapeno Golden Cayenne cross??

Posted by BrownThumbMike 7 (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 21, 14 at 9:00

Last year I had a Jalapeno and Golden Cayenne plant in containers right next to each other. Both were Bonnie plants purchased from a big box store. Both plants produced well and I decided to save seed from them for this year.

Both batches of seeds had terrible germination rates. I never got the golden Cayenne to germinate and only got one jalapeno plant to popup. This plant was slow to grow but started producing pretty well lately. Now to the question.

The Plant looks like a Jalapeno, same leaves, color, structure, etc. The pods on the other had look like a mix of both. They are have the deep green of the jalapeno but are shaped more like a chunky Cayenne. The flesh is thinner like a cayenne and full of seeds. I only ate two that were not full ripe and they were very mild. Less heat than a normal jalapeno. The taste was similar to a jalapeno. My other peppers of the same age (Thai and Birds Eye) were also very mild at the time of tasting. This has changed in recent weeks so the initial heat of this cross might have changed with maturity. I will have to test a more mature pod.

Do you think this is a result of the bonnie plant being some hybrid and the second gen is showing mutations or did my Cayenne and Jalapeno make nasty talk last year?

Maybe they will turn Yellow when mature?? It will be interesting to see how these play out.
The pepper pictured below is 5" long and about 3/4" across.

Any ideas?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Jalapeno Golden Cayenne cross??

I think it's a hybrid. I too have grown jalapeno and cayenne (and serrano) side by side and gotten the "chunky cayenne" or "long jalapeno" volunteers the next year. So they seem to like each other quite a bit as the "let's do the nasty" rate is relatively high.

Good peppers, too. Low heat but lots of tasty jalapeno-like flesh.

BTW, your germination rates should be well over 90% with last-year seeds from these plants. How are you drying and storing your seeds?

Dennis

o

good info. Thanks

I collected seeds from Ripe pods and laid them on a paper plate and set them in a cool dry location for several months. I then transferred them to a zip lock bag after they fully dried.

I used the same process for other peppers last year and i had no issues with their germination rate. (Bells, Thai, etc...)

Maybe it was a handling issue or i just happened to pick all the dud seeds from the batch i saved :)

o

The only thing I'd do differently is store in the fridge. But that really shouldn't make much of a difference over so short a time.

This post was edited by DMForcier on Tue, Jul 22, 14 at 14:03

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Pepper Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here