Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kclost

It's time for WAR!!!

kclost
9 years ago

I ordered some Trichogramma Wasps yesterday.. The BT-K is not working fast enough for me so now it is time for hand to hand combat.

Nothing pisses me off more that finding a perfectly formed, ripe pepper with a freaking hole in it!!!

Caterpillers, your dead!!!

Comments (5)

• scott123456
    9 years ago

I know, what's the deal? Last year it didn't happen to me at all. This year I have found at least 7 pods with holes in them. I haven't found anything in the pods though. Is it worth combating?

• kclost
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I thought I wouldn't have that many to worry about. But I think I have found about 25-30 pods now, so it is quite obvious that they aren't going to stop. Once they reproduce, hatch, there is no reason for them to leave. They have everything they need in one place, from larve to adult moth.

• scott123456
    9 years ago

Tell me more about these Trichogramma wasp lol. How do you treat with BT-K?

• kclost
    Original Author
    9 years ago

They are a very, very small wasp that lays their eggs on the egg of a moth. So when they hatch the wasp feeds on that egg, no more caterpillers. I think I ordred 5000 wasp eggs for $12.50...

The BT-K is an organic bacterial insecticide that you spray on the entire plant and fruit. It is suppose to destroy the caterpillar from the inside after it eats some of the sprayed foilage or fruit. I have been using it for a couple of weeks but I am still finding peppers with holes so there must still be moths laying eggs.

• woohooman San Diego CA zone 10a
    9 years ago

You're being too impatient on the BT, kclost. What you're seeing is the generation that was laid prior to using the BT.

Just keep spraying and they'll eventually diminish. I'm not saying the wasps aren't a good thing. In fact, they'll be playing double duty. The problem is keeping them going after they've done their job. The adults will feed on nectar of particular flowering plants, so it's best to incorporate an "insectary" that will attract the good guys and keep them going all season long, year after year.

One great thing about Bt, and the reason it's still part of my arsenal, is that it doesn't harm the good guys.

In the meantime, you might want to go get a 6 pack of marigolds and/or cosmos and maybe some alyssum -- three already flowering plants and readily available at nurseries that can carry you over the rest of the season.

Do some research and find out the best time to plant these in your area. There are many more, so check out the link.

Kevin

Here is a link that might be useful: beneficial attractors

Sponsored
EA Home Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars69 Reviews
Loudoun County's Trusted Kitchen & Bath Designers | Best of Houzz