Return to the Hot Pepper Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
lost patience tried a green ghost

Posted by andyandy 6bMI (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 22, 14 at 9:08

I finally lost patience yesterday and picked one of my ghosts (and one of my reapers). I have ghosts, 2 differnt Habs, a reaper, bananas, and a cayenne. All still green. The ghost was HOT!!!!!!!!!!!. hotter than the Reaper. i can't wait to see what they're like when ripe. I'n not sure weather to read anything into it being hotter than the reaper. I guess we'll find out then they actually ripen.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: lost patience tried a green ghost

I did the same thing last year and there was a world of difference between a green super hot and a ripe red one for me anyways. The red was much hotter as it should be. So like you said dont read to much into the difference right now.

o

Isn't it scary to know they WILL get hotter!

Tim

o

Yep, cant wait. I'm going to have more peppers than i know what to do with. I usually dry them and grinf them into powder.I may just keep 1/2 dehydrated and grind up the rest. I don't really know anyone that can handle them. Habs are about as hot as any of my friends can take

o

Andyandy,
Here's something to do with your ghosts and habs:
Xnipec Sauce

• 5 green onions, chopped (scallions)
• 1 garlic clove, skins removed and chopped
• 1/2 cup Goya bitter orange juice (substitute lime if necessary)
• 1 Habanero chile
• 1 bunch of cilantro (optional)
• Salt to taste
Preparation:
Finely dice the green onions (scallions) and garlic and pour the bitter orange juice over them. Roast the Habanero chile over fire (or in a broiler or on a hot comal) until the skin becomes charred. You may want to put on a pair of gloves to protect your skin from the Habanero at this point. Slice the charred Habanero in half, cut off the stem and scrape out the seeds. Finely slice the remaining Habanero and add into the green onion mixture. Remove as many cilantro leaves as possible and chop them up. Toss them together with the green onion mixture and add a few sprinkles of salt while doing so. Let the mixture marinate at room temperature for about an hour before serving.

If using Numex Suave habaneros, roast two. Use two teaspoons of Ghost pepper puree for heat.

You can also put the garlic, habanero(s) and bitter orange juice in a blender and puree, and then add the scallions and cilantro and pulse until chopped.

o

I food that my first year, especially because I only grew floats the first year, and I heard that in that part of India, that eat them green anyway. That isn't all that unusual, we all eat immature jalapenos all the time. I also figured they might not be all that hot since there is that lady who are 50+ ghost peppers in one sitting. It WAS super hot mine tasted like those small snap beans when you pick them real early. I thought it was may tasting and nothing like a pepper taste.
Don't worry, it won't be long now till your pods start turning color. Sometimes this can be the longest 2 months of the year!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Pepper Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here