Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tattoooedlex

pepper ID help?

tattoooedlex
10 years ago

good morning,
so a lil over a year ago I bought one of those ghost chili in a can things. and only recently has it roduced its first fruit. only problem is I do not think it is a ghost chili at all. Does anyone know what it is I might be growing? and if so at what point will it be harvested?
thank you for any help

Comments (10)

• tattoooedlex
    Original Author
    10 years ago

here is a close pic of the pepper

• tony469
    10 years ago

I have a similar mystery pepper .the one i have I taste tested and its some kind of a habanero cross..it's a real tongue burner

• tattoooedlex
    Original Author
    10 years ago

At what color should I pull it?

• habjolokia z 6b/7
    10 years ago

Red, it's just about there. You could pick and eat it today, unless you want to save the seeds then I would wait until its all red. Let us know how it taste and the heat level.

I grow true ghost peppers, I will have some more ghost pepper seeds at the end of the season if you are interested shoot me a reminder email at the end of the season.

Mark

• Calcat36
    10 years ago

Ghost chili thing in a can? Was it more expensive than a legit pack of seeds? If the leaf color is true, it needs less watering and a bit more ferts in a watering after it dries out. Not many flowers or other pods there, and it looks like the leaves have been dropping.

What else, may I ask, do you have growing?

• tattoooedlex
    Original Author
    10 years ago

That's all I have, I saw the chili can at the flea market and picked it up for two bucks. Never really took it to serious until recently. I have always been a why grow it when I can just buy the finishes product kind of guy.But after actually seeing a pepper grow from it, I have more satisfaction from growing than just buying it. The plant does produce a lot of flowers but the all drop off. Havent noticed any leaves falling off. Everything above the horizontal branches is new growth that has grown in the past two months or so. Here in NY we have been in the mid 90's for about two weeks now, so yes I am probably over watering.this is the first plant of any kind I have grown on my own. I am hoping next season to do a lot more. I have an area picked out where I plan on creating a new garden

This post was edited by tattoooedlex on Sun, Jul 21, 13 at 10:10

• tattoooedlex
    Original Author
    10 years ago

this is the chili in a can that I am referring to. I know it may look a lil ridiculous since what I am growing definitely is not what they claim it is. the way I look at it is at least it has opened me up to something I am gonna take a lot more seriously and hopefully start to produce some good stuff in the future.

This post was edited by tattoooedlex on Sun, Jul 21, 13 at 10:14

• habjolokia z 6b/7
    10 years ago

Glad you are interested in the pepper addiction, welcome! Please research on this forum on how to grow from seeds, and when to start. Few tips, heat is key for super hots, don't over water, and have fun and post about your experiences.

Mark

• rdback
    10 years ago

Hi Tat and welcome.

This pepper-in-a-can thing came out a year or two ago and, as I recall reading, the pepper turned out to be a red habanero, not a bhut/ghost pepper.

Still plenty hot though, for most folks.

Rick

• tattoooedlex
    Original Author
    10 years ago

So plucked the Lil guy today and immediately popped half in my mouth. That was about half hour ago. Love that my mouth is still burning. Good flavor, lots of heat. One seed came out so I'm gonna try and plant it and see what happens.