Return to the Hot Pepper Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hot peppers are not hot??

Posted by trsinc 8 tx (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 25, 06 at 9:19

I know that sometimes peppers will be milder than others, but this year they might as well be bells. I'm growing Jalapeno, Serrano, and Chile Petin. Not a hot one in the bunch!! They are very healthy and producing like crazy though.

Does anyone know of a trick to make them hotter? Like more or less nitrogen, or something of that sort?

Thanks,
tr

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hot peppers are not hot??

Genetics, which at this point you can't do any thing about. And letting them get fully ripe helps. Other than that I don't know. I've heard that stressing the plants can make them hotter, but I've never heard any hard facts about it.

o

• Posted by byron 4a/5b NH (My Page) on
    Tue, Jul 25, 06 at 21:17

Excess nitrogen can "cool them"

o

Sulfur in the form of epsom salts is often recommended, especially dissolved in water and sprayed on the foliage every couple of weeks. Also, keeping the plants dryer or warming the plants up is supposed to help.

Contrary to the general rule I've heard, I've found serranos to be somewhat milder and sweeter when fully ripe.

o

Thanks everybody.

Well, I know they don't have too much nitrogen and the plants are plenty warm. Last week we got up to 106 degrees! I haven't been watering them a lot, but I'm going to see if stressing them helps along with the epsom salts.

Maybe I've just burned the heat sensors off of my tongue? lol

o

All of my peppers turned out mild this year too. I grew habs that tasted like bells and almost all of my others turned out sweet tasting. Don't know waht it could be.

o

Add epson salt to the ground, stress them out, try not watering foliage just the ground.let mother nature water foliage. Jalapeno and Serranos fully ripe take on a softer flesh and a sweater taste but still should have a burn. Growing for 35 years
bowhunter

o

Michael Bailes the Austalian author of "The Fragrant Chilli" claims that adding a little detergent to the water will make peppers hotter.

o

Keep in mind that chiles cross-pollinate freely. This is why you may often have chiles from the same plant with varying degrees of hotness.

I had a buddy of mine give me a bag of habaneros...'cuz he said that they were WAY too hot. Got them home and asked one of our sons if he'd like to try a really hot pepper...cut him off a piece and he chewed on it. He said "Not hot at all...nice flavor but definately not hot". So I cut a piece from another pepper...he tried it...same reaction. I tried a piece, no hottness at all.
So the next day, I chopped up a bunch of 'em to add to my eggs...HOLY MOLEY! Good God...get me some milk, now!!

o

lol! I thought that kind of stuff only happened to me.

o

I am growing a Ghost Pepper plant, supposed to be the hottest pepper you can grow. We picked one a little prematurely, it was still green. But it wasn't even remotely hot. I don't get it. I figured the hottest pepper you can grow should at least have a little sting to it.

HELP!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Pepper Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here