Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
calvin79

Transplants not growing

soraystud
10 years ago

HI there folks

Newbie gardener here, trying to grow simple jalapenos from seed. Got them to sprout perfectly, 3 seeds to a Jiffy cube. Read somewhere that I should leave two seedlings to grow together as they work best in pairs (is that true?).

Per instructions, let them grow as a pair and transplanted when they were about 3" high and had their first true leaves.

Problem is, that was exactly a month ago and they might have grown only about 1" since then, and added barely another pair of leaves.

The soil in the vegetable bed is fertile and well-drained (everything else is thriving!), the pairs of pepper plants are well-spaced out (1 pair per sq ft), the leaves look healthy and there are no bugs or anything.

What am I doing wrong??

Comments (18)

• judo_and_peppers
    10 years ago

there could be many factors. but when in doubt I add fish fertilizer, and sit back and watch the green explosion.

for all the advertising I do, the makers of fish fertilizer oughta start paying me!

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    10 years ago

Make sure they are getting plenty of direct sunlight and warmth.
    Bruce

• woohooman San Diego CA zone 10a
    10 years ago

You transplanted to the garden with only one set of true leaves? Minimum 4 sets for me.

Did you harden off properly? Were the roots bound?

Pairs?? Although it's said that peppers like "holding hands," that saying is for when they're somewhat fully grown. 12-18" spacing minimum.

Location: MA? Haven't you had a ton of rain and cool weather for most of Spring? My GUESS is that's the biggest problem.

You could always go to the garden center and find some replacements. How many sets of true leaves NOW?

Got any pics?

Kevin

• soraystud
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the immediate replies folks. They're getting plenty of sunshine, and it's been pretty warm, we've had some 90deg+ days already, and it's been in the 80s otherwise since mid-May, but there has been copious amounts of rain.

I transplanted after the first set of true leaves, I thought if I left them any longer they'd get rootbound. I did harden them off for a week. When transplanting the roots seemed healthy and happy.

Sounds like I misunderstood the 'holding hands' thing, I'll thin them out this evening, and post some pics at the time too.

Thanks for all your advice!

• judo_and_peppers
    10 years ago

my father in law plants them 5 per pot. he swears that this is the best way to do it. I have many of mine 2 per pot, some with 3, and I think they're over crowded. I suffered my first loss last night when one of my 'ring of fire' cayenne went from 3 per pot to 2 per pot. the wind helped with that one.

• soraystud
    Original Author
    10 years ago

This is what they look like, a full month after transplanting.

• DMForcier
    10 years ago

Starting two or more together isn't a terrible idea, but the plan is to abort the puny one(s) at some point.

Your mulch seems to be pure sapwood. I hope it isn't in the soil. As sapwood decomposes it sucks up all the available nitrogen so even fertilizing wouldn't help much. Use pine bark or nothing.

10 years ago

From what I've read, DMForcier is right about sapwood. But, Imo, there's nothing wrong with using wood chips and sapwood for mulch as long as you don't mix it INTO the soil.

Plants look fine. They'll probably take off soon. You may want to pull the mulch away from the stalk about 6" though. At least until they get bigger and it will allow for you to fertilize some without the wood sucking up all the Nitrogen. And allow some of that rain to dry up some.

DMForcier: There's many great mulches other than pine bark. Composted grass clippings, Pine straw, straw, plastic mulches ... to name a few. I say mulch with ANYTHING, just make sure you mulch.

Just my opinion. To each their own.

:)

Kevin

• soraystud
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the tips on the mulch. It was after much deliberation that I ended up choosing hemlock mulch. It seems to be a mix of sapwood and bark. It's on top of the soil, about 1-2" thick. I will pull the mulch back to the drip line tonight.

Also, on the fertilizer - I mixed in plenty of commercial compost and manure when I tilled the soil, and recently added some of those slow-release Miracle Gro pellets. What else should I be using for fertilizer? Anything specific I need to do to replace the nitrogen the mulch is stealing?

Thanks again!

10 years ago

Should be fine for now. A dab of fish ferts never hurts if you notice the leaves starting to pale and you're NOT overwatering.

Kevin

• soraystud
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Sprayed the plants with fish fert this morning, hopefully this kickstarts them a little bit.

Also noticed these spindly mushrooms / toadstools around the edges of the mulch this morning.. we've had some rain and I'm wondering if this is because it's humid and the soil is wet underneath?

I haven't been using the underground drip system that i have for some time now because of the rain we've had, the soil is good per the middle-knuckle-test.

Thanks!

10 years ago

Yep. Just some fungi that have found favorable conditions -- nothing to worry about.

Kevin

• tony469
    10 years ago

I don't know but for me peppers grow slow..till the tip splits into two branches..then they take off and I find myself having to stake them..be patient they will grow..

• scorpion_john
    10 years ago

Years ago I mulched some of my peppers and they hardly grew, I would pitch the mulch, try weed paper or black plactic instead. also, did u take them out of the jiffy pots or plant them pot and all? I wouldn't recommend jiffy pots, I hat them. same with peat pellets, more trouble than they are worth, John

• soraystud
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I read enough before I transplanted to know that those Jiffy pots are no good, so I took them out when transplanting. The roots did not look bound or anything and I was careful not to damage them.

I only just mulched recently, like about a week before I took that pic. I'll move the mulch back some more tonight.

The only other thing that I can think of is that I didn't harden the seedlings properly - all I did was crack the window a few hours at a time on the windowsill they sat on.

• soraystud
    Original Author
    10 years ago

It's been about two weeks since I sprayed the fish fertilizer on the peppers, they definitely look better with lots more foliage and have grown another few inches, but how far am I from getting pods? I don't see any signs of flowering even!

• MadCat1118
    10 years ago

How big are the plants? Post a picture, I would bet you are close to getting flowers. Were you affected by the recent heat wave? Some of my plants were flowering less during the heat wave.

• Calcat36
    10 years ago

Get rid of the mulch and use grass clippings and/or pine needles. They will be more beneficial. Mulches too often contain chemicals that work against the plant.

Where in MA are you? I am in Bristol County. My peppers are in pots, and I have a new set growing for next year. The recent heat has made the plants explode. My humble advice? Start some seeds NOW and winter them over for next year. Cheat mother nature.

Jalapenos should be no problem, as they grow like weeds, unless they, like all other peppers, are not happy where rooted! Hardening off is more than window cracking.

We need pics to see what you are dealing with.

Sponsored
Trish Takacs Design
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars36 Reviews
Award Winning & Highly Skilled Kitchen & Bath Designer in Columbus