Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kentishman

Ornamentals continued

kentishman
9 years ago

Here are Bolivian Rainbow and Numex Twilight.

Comments (43)

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    9 years ago

subscribed

• siouxzin
    9 years ago

ooooo, the Biquinho Iracema look really interesting. What vendor did you get your seeds?

I am also growing bolivian rainbow and newmex Twilight, as well as Black Pearl. Love the colors!

• kentishman
    Original Author
    9 years ago

My seeds for Biquinho Iracema came from a chilehead in a SASBE offer. I'll be saving seeds this year to replenish my stock, if you're interested.

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    9 years ago

Siouxzn: Can you post some pictures of the Bolivian Rainbow and Twilight you have growing. I would like to see the difference between them. I am sure they are different varieties but I see a lot of people that call the Twilight a Bolivian Rainbow. I just want to know exactly what the difference is.
    Thanks,
    Bruce

• kentishman
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Bruce, I'm not sure if I've got true Bolivian Rainbow and Numex Twilight, but that's how they came to me. They are definitely different peppers. As you can see in the first picture at the beginning of this thread, the plant on the left has purple flowers, and the one on the right has white flowers. Doesn't that mean they're different species?

Tom

• drew51 SE MI Z5b/6a
    9 years ago

Here's my Numex Twilight

Purple Flash

Black Pearl

• kentishman
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Drew, I like the Purple Flash. Beautiful foliage!

• drew51 SE MI Z5b/6a
    9 years ago

I'm growing fish too, the foliage and fruit before ripe are nice looking too. A little more useful pepper too. I dry the ornamentals and use them to up the heat if need be in a dish.

• kentishman
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I've got two Fish Peppers. One has excellent leaf variegation, similar to yours, the other has far less variegation, but it's way ahead in pod production. I was wondering if the really nicely variegated plants aren't such heavy producers. Also, do you have any suggestions/recipes for using Fish peppers.

Back to your first picture of the Numex, is that a single plant? And is it a first year plant? You've got a large plant there for this early in your growing season. How are you doing it?

• drew51 SE MI Z5b/6a
    9 years ago

"Back to your first picture of the Numex, is that a single plant? And is it a first year plant? You've got a large plant there for this early in your growing season. How are you doing it?"

It is two. I do use a cold frame in the spring. See if I have another photo...

Here are some of my peppers. On the left, tomatoes on the right. the smaller ones are the more tropical hots that need heat. We had a cool spring, so they are smaller. Part of the reason for growing is to see what works. Aji lemon seems to grow well here (first on left, and also behind that one is a 2nd plant). Also The starfish works well here.
    I have peppers all over in pots, in ground, all over! maybe 20 plants this year. Next year I'm going to focus more on mild peppers, see what works. Also peppers for paprika. I might overwinter some hots, but no new starts next year. I'll have enough dried to last at least 2 years.

• kentishman
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Drew, Your pepper growing is tracking along with mine: I'm laying off the superhots and growing more mild ones that are useful for cooking. Also, next year I'd like to try some paprika varieties. There was a thread on here a while back that mentioned several of them. If anyone reading this has any paprika varieties, I'll be interested in doing some trading.

• siouxzin
    9 years ago

"My seeds for Biquinho Iracema came from a chilehead in a SASBE offer. I'll be saving seeds this year to replenish my stock, if you're interested."

I am very interested! I will post all the seeds I have towards the end of the season (I have some now but it is mostly the Christmas pepper) and would be more than happy to exchange!

Exo, I will post some photos when I get home from my business trip (I get home Thursday evening). Mine are still quite small but I will take some photos of all the ornamentals I have. I also have some varieties from the new mexico institute (easter and christmas peppers etc) I am also saving those seeds.

I have a garda fireworks and numex centenial that are still very very small. I plan on bagging the blooms of those once I get my order of organza bags in from Amazon.

• siouxzin
    9 years ago

Also, I cannot tell from your fish pepper Drew, but are the peppers also variegrated? I am noticing on mine that the variegation is evident on the pods as well. I will take a photo when I get home but be warned that the plant is still small as I had a later season and some were initially stunted.

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    9 years ago

Yes, fish pepper pods should be verigated as well. Mine showed more variegation as the plant matured.

• drew51 SE MI Z5b/6a
    9 years ago

."Also, I cannot tell from your fish pepper Drew, but are the peppers also variegrated?"

Yes, but turn all red when ripe. Two have ripened.

• siouxzin
    9 years ago

Ok, I am back at home. This photo is the twilight (it is still very small)

• siouxzin
    9 years ago

And the Bolivian Rainbow...also still small (I started both of these late)

I have three of these growing and all look the same with purple pods. Now I am wondering if they are indeed bolivian rainbows. I also have the purple flash and the Black Pearl and they are all definitely different than those, so I am not sure what I have.

• drew51 SE MI Z5b/6a
    9 years ago

Pimenta de Neyde is an interesting pepper. Beautiful plant.

It has yet to fruit, but has a number of flowers

A description from Trade Winds....

Pimenta de Neyde Pepper - (Capsicum x) An extremely rare pepper
    originally from Brazil with dark purple fruits and beautiful, colored
    foliage. The hot fruits grow to a couple of inches and remain dark
    purple-almost black for much of their ripening period. When ripe,
    fruits change color subtly, with a neon purple tint. A gorgeous plant
    to grow, with spicy edible fruits! Believed to be a cross between C.
    annuum and chinense

• drew51 SE MI Z5b/6a
    9 years ago

Duplicate deleted.

This post was edited by Drew51 on Fri, Aug 1, 14 at 11:52

• kentishman
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Drew, Do these grow true from seed? If so and you save seed, I'd love to get a few.

Tom

• drew51 SE MI Z5b/6a
    9 years ago

Yes, I think they are open pollinated. Sure, not a problem.
    It looked in trouble, but just kept getting bigger and bigger. It survived a cool spring, and still grew bigger than most of my peppers. But most of my peppers have fruit, so a little late producing. Maybe because it stalled in the spring? Still plenty of time to produce. Pods are forming. I got it from trade winds, but they no longer have it listed. For sure we need to spread this around.

• siouxzin
    9 years ago

I would love a few as well (if you have any to spare). If you see any on my trade list you would like let me know!

• kentishman
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Drew. I'll send you an email.

• drew51 SE MI Z5b/6a
    9 years ago

Email me yeah, trade list etc, if you have one no big deal. . I may not want anything,but will send seeds along anyways. many people send me free seeds, so you just have to send free seeds to somebody else.
    Well all I have is original seeds for know. Not sure how many? We are counting our eggs before they hatch. it should produce plenty of seed for anybody who wants some, just email me so i remember. Hey leaving for a week, and questions I will answer when i get back...

• siouxzin
    9 years ago

Christmas Pepper (I have a TON of these seeds, and it is a really pretty ornamental)

• siouxzin
    9 years ago

Garda Fireworks

• siouxzin
    9 years ago

And.. the Easter pepper. These seeds came from the New Mexico pepper institute.

This one, like most of my ornamentals got a very late start and is still quite small.

Also, Since I am only home on weekends my poor plants have been suffering. :(

• DMForcier
    9 years ago

Soosie*, way to go!

Please consider contributing seeds to the upcoming mass swaps. I see a couple I want for next year.

Dennis

* "Hah? You're Jewish? Love your nails!"
    - with apologies to Uncle Frank - 10 points for identifying the song. (It actually got air play!)

• siouxzin
    9 years ago

Of course! I am saving all I can!

• Andrew
    9 years ago

Here's my Bolivian Rainbow

• centexan254 zone 8 Temple, Tx
    9 years ago

I am doing Tequila Sun Rise this year. If I can find them I am also going to be doing Calico. They are a very pretty plant. The pods have a good bit of heat in them, though no flavor. They are perfect for when you want to add heat without altering the flavor.

• Seysonn_ 8a-NC/HZ-7
    9 years ago

Very good. 2014 thread, revisited.
    I am also growing few ornamental this year

== Cumari du Para
    == Black Pearl
    == Tepin
    ==Sangria
    == Numex Twilight :
    Still inside NT has pods. This is the fastest podding pepper I know. My Chenzo also has pods. started them around January 5. , almost 10 weeks ago. TOOO early. I have more stated 3 weeks later. These are not too big. So I learned my lesson well. 7 weeks before LFD is good timing for me.

Seysonn

• Andrew
    9 years ago

Ornamental Peppers · More Info

My ornamental pepper garden

Bolivian Rainbow

Explosive Ember

Numex Twilight

Numex Halloween

Numex Verterans Day

Purple Flash

Chinese 5 Color

Filius Blue

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    9 years ago

I might have to try one of those Bolivian Rainbows next year. Very similar to the Twilight but that is a beautiful shade of dark purple on the Rainbow.

Bruce

• Andrew
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Bruce,

I have plenty of seeds for Bolivian Rainbow if you would like to try them.

• ronnyb123
    9 years ago

No ornamentals for me this year unless you call fish hybreds an ornamental. How are those Chenzo pods looking Seysonn? Nice and black?

• Seysonn_ 8a-NC/HZ-7
    9 years ago

Hi Ronny,
    Chenzo pods have dark chocolate color, not black. The plants look similar to Numex Twilight in shape of leaves and size.. Maybe smaller.

Seysonn

• ronnyb123
    9 years ago

sounds right.

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    9 years ago

Yah, Andrew, I would take a few of those BR seeds if you don't mind. But I won't start them until next year now. I haven't figured out how to message on this forum yet. Do you know how?

• Andrew
    9 years ago

Email me Andrew.hopper2012@gmail

• Seysonn_ 8a-NC/HZ-7
    9 years ago

Bruce,
    In order to send and receive messages, you have to choose "Follow" option. So you chose the members that you want to follow and they can follow you.

Seysonn

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    9 years ago

OK, now i see the "MESSAGE" button show up...thanks.