Return to the Hot Pepper Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Ornamentals continued

Posted by kentishman 7 (king1823@gmail.com) on
Mon, Jul 28, 14 at 9:52

Here are Bolivian Rainbow and Numex Twilight.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Ornamentals continued

And here's Biquinho Iracema. Interesting pod shape.

o

subscribed

o

ooooo, the Biquinho Iracema look really interesting. What vendor did you get your seeds?

I am also growing bolivian rainbow and newmex Twilight, as well as Black Pearl. Love the colors!

o

My seeds for Biquinho Iracema came from a chilehead in a SASBE offer. I'll be saving seeds this year to replenish my stock, if you're interested.

o

• Posted by esox07 4b Wisconsin (My Page) on
    Mon, Jul 28, 14 at 16:45

Siouxzn: Can you post some pictures of the Bolivian Rainbow and Twilight you have growing. I would like to see the difference between them. I am sure they are different varieties but I see a lot of people that call the Twilight a Bolivian Rainbow. I just want to know exactly what the difference is.
Thanks,
Bruce

o

Bruce, I'm not sure if I've got true Bolivian Rainbow and Numex Twilight, but that's how they came to me. They are definitely different peppers. As you can see in the first picture at the beginning of this thread, the plant on the left has purple flowers, and the one on the right has white flowers. Doesn't that mean they're different species?

Tom

o

• Posted by Drew51 5b/6a SE MI (My Page) on
    Tue, Jul 29, 14 at 14:43

Here's my Numex Twilight
 photo 034-1.jpg

Purple Flash
 photo 032-1.jpg

Black Pearl
 photo 033-1.jpg

o

Drew, I like the Purple Flash. Beautiful foliage!

o

Tue, Jul 29, 14 at 17:03

I'm growing fish too, the foliage and fruit before ripe are nice looking too. A little more useful pepper too. I dry the ornamentals and use them to up the heat if need be in a dish.
 photo 005-4.jpg
 photo 006-6.jpg

o

I've got two Fish Peppers. One has excellent leaf variegation, similar to yours, the other has far less variegation, but it's way ahead in pod production. I was wondering if the really nicely variegated plants aren't such heavy producers. Also, do you have any suggestions/recipes for using Fish peppers.

Back to your first picture of the Numex, is that a single plant? And is it a first year plant? You've got a large plant there for this early in your growing season. How are you doing it?

o

Tue, Jul 29, 14 at 22:36

"Back to your first picture of the Numex, is that a single plant? And is it a first year plant? You've got a large plant there for this early in your growing season. How are you doing it?"

It is two. I do use a cold frame in the spring. See if I have another photo...
 photo 034-2.jpg
Here are some of my peppers. On the left, tomatoes on the right. the smaller ones are the more tropical hots that need heat. We had a cool spring, so they are smaller. Part of the reason for growing is to see what works. Aji lemon seems to grow well here (first on left, and also behind that one is a 2nd plant). Also The starfish works well here.
I have peppers all over in pots, in ground, all over! maybe 20 plants this year. Next year I'm going to focus more on mild peppers, see what works. Also peppers for paprika. I might overwinter some hots, but no new starts next year. I'll have enough dried to last at least 2 years.
 photo 011-6.jpg

o

Drew, Your pepper growing is tracking along with mine: I'm laying off the superhots and growing more mild ones that are useful for cooking. Also, next year I'd like to try some paprika varieties. There was a thread on here a while back that mentioned several of them. If anyone reading this has any paprika varieties, I'll be interested in doing some trading.

o

"My seeds for Biquinho Iracema came from a chilehead in a SASBE offer. I'll be saving seeds this year to replenish my stock, if you're interested."

I am very interested! I will post all the seeds I have towards the end of the season (I have some now but it is mostly the Christmas pepper) and would be more than happy to exchange!

Exo, I will post some photos when I get home from my business trip (I get home Thursday evening). Mine are still quite small but I will take some photos of all the ornamentals I have. I also have some varieties from the new mexico institute (easter and christmas peppers etc) I am also saving those seeds.

I have a garda fireworks and numex centenial that are still very very small. I plan on bagging the blooms of those once I get my order of organza bags in from Amazon.

o

Also, I cannot tell from your fish pepper Drew, but are the peppers also variegrated? I am noticing on mine that the variegation is evident on the pods as well. I will take a photo when I get home but be warned that the plant is still small as I had a later season and some were initially stunted.

o

• Posted by esox07 4b Wisconsin (My Page) on
    Wed, Jul 30, 14 at 11:32

Yes, fish pepper pods should be verigated as well. Mine showed more variegation as the plant matured.

o

Wed, Jul 30, 14 at 11:35

."Also, I cannot tell from your fish pepper Drew, but are the peppers also variegrated?"

Yes, but turn all red when ripe. Two have ripened.
 photo 017-1.jpg

o

Ok, I am back at home. This photo is the twilight (it is still very small)

o

And the Bolivian Rainbow...also still small (I started both of these late)

I have three of these growing and all look the same with purple pods. Now I am wondering if they are indeed bolivian rainbows. I also have the purple flash and the Black Pearl and they are all definitely different than those, so I am not sure what I have.

o

Fri, Aug 1, 14 at 10:30

Pimenta de Neyde is an interesting pepper. Beautiful plant.
 photo 006-8.jpg

It has yet to fruit, but has a number of flowers
 photo 007-2.jpg

A description from Trade Winds....

Pimenta de Neyde Pepper - (Capsicum x) An extremely rare pepper
originally from Brazil with dark purple fruits and beautiful, colored
foliage. The hot fruits grow to a couple of inches and remain dark
purple-almost black for much of their ripening period. When ripe,
fruits change color subtly, with a neon purple tint. A gorgeous plant
to grow, with spicy edible fruits! Believed to be a cross between C.
annuum and chinense

o

Fri, Aug 1, 14 at 11:51

Duplicate deleted.

This post was edited by Drew51 on Fri, Aug 1, 14 at 11:52

o

Drew, Do these grow true from seed? If so and you save seed, I'd love to get a few.

Tom

o

Fri, Aug 1, 14 at 12:38

Yes, I think they are open pollinated. Sure, not a problem.
It looked in trouble, but just kept getting bigger and bigger. It survived a cool spring, and still grew bigger than most of my peppers. But most of my peppers have fruit, so a little late producing. Maybe because it stalled in the spring? Still plenty of time to produce. Pods are forming. I got it from trade winds, but they no longer have it listed. For sure we need to spread this around.

o

I would love a few as well (if you have any to spare). If you see any on my trade list you would like let me know!

o

Thanks Drew. I'll send you an email.

o

Fri, Aug 1, 14 at 13:59

Email me yeah, trade list etc, if you have one no big deal. . I may not want anything,but will send seeds along anyways. many people send me free seeds, so you just have to send free seeds to somebody else.
Well all I have is original seeds for know. Not sure how many? We are counting our eggs before they hatch. it should produce plenty of seed for anybody who wants some, just email me so i remember. Hey leaving for a week, and questions I will answer when i get back...

o

Christmas Pepper (I have a TON of these seeds, and it is a really pretty ornamental)

o

Garda Fireworks

o

And.. the Easter pepper. These seeds came from the New Mexico pepper institute.

This one, like most of my ornamentals got a very late start and is still quite small.

Also, Since I am only home on weekends my poor plants have been suffering. :(

o

Soosie*, way to go!

Please consider contributing seeds to the upcoming mass swaps. I see a couple I want for next year.

Dennis

* "Hah? You're Jewish? Love your nails!"
- with apologies to Uncle Frank - 10 points for identifying the song. (It actually got air play!)

o

Of course! I am saving all I can!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Pepper Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here