Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sunshinezone7

When do I harvest these?

SunshineZone7
10 years ago

These are a type of cayenne, turning red from green. How do I know when they are ready?

Comments (10)

• SunshineZone7
    Original Author
    10 years ago

These are black Hungarian, 1 is finally turning red, but how red do they need to get? I am new at peppers so I appreciate the insight :)

• romy6
    10 years ago

Once they ripen red pick them. That's when they have the best taste and heat!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• SunshineZone7
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Does it have to be a certain red....darker, lighter? If I wait to long to pick them will they rot or will they dry?

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    10 years ago

Some peppers can stay on the plant, fully ripe (red) for a week, two weeks and be fine. Some will start to soften shortly after turning red. I would pick any pepper that is fully or near fully red. As far as taste and texture goes, you probably won't benefit from leaving them on the plant any longer. Even if they are not fully ripe (red) when you pick them, they normally will ripen within a day or two sitting in a plate on the counter. I just picked a few cayennes and one had ripened over a week ago. It is already soft, just one day after picking.

• SunshineZone7
    Original Author
    10 years ago

How long will these last after picking and how do you store them? Thanks again!

• habjolokia z 6b/7
    10 years ago

From picking they will last from a few days to a week or so then go soft and start to break down if not starting to mold.

Depends on the use, how you store. Slice in 1/2 and dry for powder and flakes. Cut into slices and Pickle. Create a hot sauce. The least useable way by that i mean after thawing it would be mush so best used cooked in a dish or soup, is to freeze them either whole or sliced in 1/2.

To keep it safe I usually store up to 6 months but usually my harvest does not last that long. Some may keep it longer, if I do it's for personal use no one else tries after 6 mo but that's just me playing it safe.

Mark

This post was edited by habjolokia on Tue, Jul 23, 13 at 17:07

• woohooman San Diego CA zone 10a
    10 years ago

I'm just about done with my last fridge pickled carrots and Jalapenos that were pickled last December. They still have as much crunch as the day I picked them. The key is blanching.

Some day I'll get into actual canning.

Kevin

• seysonn
    10 years ago

I had some pickled in vinegar(No salt)for over two years. I just took them out, blended lightly and sifted(got the seeds and skin out) and made sauce. just added some sugar to compensate the acidity.

You want to dry them? let them stay longer on the plant(if not raining) Then pick them WITH THE STEM ON. (you don't want the air get into them)THEN JUST SPREAD THEM ON PAPER TOWEL, NEWS PAPER etc ON THE TABLE ...

some peppers DRY BETTER THAN OTHERS. I COULD NEVER DRY habs, jalaps... I pickle them in vinegar, or just make sauce.

This post was edited by seysonn on Wed, Jul 24, 13 at 3:44

• SunshineZone7
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hmmm, I tried the red black Hungarian pepper and it is not hot at all! Not even a little. The cayenne was hot though. Maybe the Black Hungarian needed to stay on longer???

• farmerdill
    10 years ago

Black Hungarian is a mild pepper.

Sponsored
Innovative & Creative General Contractors Servicing Franklin County