Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
papeppers

my fighting peppers

PaPeppers
10 years ago

Hello! I'm a first time grower, and by accident. My fiance's cousin works in a seed shop and I asked if she knows anyone who sells ghost peppers cheaply. well i got a nice two inch plant with about six leaves. I had to battle aphids for nearly a month, thanks to shell flour froma neighbor (about two weeks to notice anything) and an organic spray. Plus lots of squishing. On the plus side, been over a week since my last aphid!

Its in a hanging pot, easily drained. my soil consists of primarily Miracle Grow (for orchids) that allow easy drain. It hangs at the edge of the porch so with minor wind the rain will get it. Next door has a sucessful vegetable garden and i see bees, despite living in the city. It's hot so I'm tring to keep up watering, but I'm falling behind.

Now that my pest problem is gone, how long till i start seeing flowers and hopefully peppers? This is my first attempt at growing anything. Pictures soon to follow

Comments (27)

• PaPeppers
    Original Author
    10 years ago

gave it some more water and already perking up. In tring to not overwatering, i went a little skimpy. I got it as a small plant with six leaves about a month ago. Going to get a bigger pot after work tonight.

• habjolokia z 6b/7
    10 years ago

Great job on winning the battle with aphids, I can't stand them. Your plant looks great, and I agree get it into a bigger pot. From the looks of the plant it's headed in the right direction very healthy. It may not be until late July or Aug/Sept that you see flowers/pods.

Mark

• peppernovice
    10 years ago

I agree with Mark, get that plant in a bigger pot ASAP. I assume you're in Pennsylvania. I wouldn't expect pods this year. It's already July and you don't have flowers yet. Please don't let that discourage you. There's always a possibility of a warm fall, just be realistic about your expectations. You can still let it grow as much as possible and over-winter it. Then you'll have a head start on next year. Good Luck!

Tim

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    10 years ago

Agreed. It is going to need a bigger pot real soon. As long as it isn't getting a lot of rain and it is hot out, it is going to need a lot of watering. With that pot, likely every day or every other day on hot sunny days. Don't be afraid to soak it down good when you do water but just allow it to dry out between waterings. It is PROLONGED wet conditions that are hard on peppers.
    Bruce

• PaPeppers
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the advice. I already transferred to a 3 gallon bucket, and I water till it starts to drain. Looked like it grew an inch overnight, but I need to get more potting mix to fill it completely. I'm away for the (my) weekend but I'll update with pictures. I'm hoping that I'll get flowers. We're getting those strong storms that last 20 minutes near everyday.

Heres where i started with the plant.

• PaPeppers
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the advice. I already transferred to a 3 gallon bucket, and I water till it starts to drain. Looked like it grew an inch overnight, but I need to get more potting mix to fill it completely. I'm away for the (my) weekend but I'll update with pictures. I'm hoping that I'll get flowers. We're getting those strong storms that last 20 minutes near everyday.

Heres where i started with the plant.

{{!gwi}}

• scorpion_john
    10 years ago

where you at in PA? I have superhots with peppers on them you can have, John

• PaPeppers
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yeah I'm in Pa. I got my first flower blooming, but was packing for vacation. So I'm in Virginia (and engaged since last night!)

Thanks for the offer John, hopefully we can get a trade going. I live in the Susquehanna Valley. York area.

Anyway, plant is doing good, had one flower and two more getting ready to open. I'll post some pictures when I get back in town.
    ~Mike

• PaPeppers
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Update from my porch. got a half dozen peppers growing and more every time I look! I'll post some pictures when I get a chance

• habjolokia z 6b/7
    10 years ago

Cool peppers already? On a ghost? Please post a pic when you can.

Mark

• peppernovice
    10 years ago

Congrats on the pods. Hopefully you'll get some color soon. Then it's time to taste test!

Tim

• PaPeppers
    Original Author
    10 years ago

here's my plant. There is a 28" bike tire in frame for reference. I have a good two dozen or more tutu pods(roommate's daughter named them lol) with about a dozen peppers growing.

It is so hard to resist eating one, but I hear that until they have a month to ripen, there is very little heat. Can't wait!

• PaPeppers
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I thought I had two peppers in my shot, they keep popping up!

• PaPeppers
    Original Author
    10 years ago

this is the most mature pepper

• PaPeppers
    Original Author
    10 years ago

they soon look like they wear flower tutus lol. gotta love kids

• habjolokia z 6b/7
    10 years ago

Yes, kids are great, I have a 2 yr old and she keeps us laughing. Those are nice looking peppers, they don't however look like ghost. Here is a pic of a Bhut I got growing so you can see the pod and compare.

I am close by, if you would like a ghost pod or two to try. Near 7 Valleys/Spring grove area.

Mark

• PaPeppers
    Original Author
    10 years ago

yeah, I am definitely interested in some bhuts. any idea what it could be? IM holding off tasting till they mature. the leaves and flowers look identical, but my peppers have a large curl to them. I live in west York, and Sunday afternoon/Monday works best for me. most likely have to waittill September, next two are busy for me. email me which week works good for you

• habjolokia z 6b/7
    10 years ago

Hi Mike, sounds good shoot me an email, your profile is not setup for me to be able to email you. zellmarkj@yahoo.com

Mark

• PaPeppers
    Original Author
    10 years ago

email has been sent mark. the first batch of peppers growing have that large curl to them, but as more are growing big they appear straighter. maybe it's just the first batch ever so it curled weird. they are facing the shaded house however. any input is useful!

• PaPeppers
    Original Author
    10 years ago

email has been sent mark. the first batch of peppers growing have that large curl to them, but as more are growing big they appear straighter. maybe it's just the first batch ever so it curled weird. they are facing the shaded house however. any input is useful!

{{!gwi}}

• habjolokia z 6b/7
    10 years ago

Check to see if your email got bounced, I did not receive it, I check junk not there either.

Mark

• PaPeppers
    Original Author
    10 years ago

• habjolokia z 6b/7
    10 years ago

Still no email, if you are using GW to email they have been known to have issues try emailing using another email client outside of GW. The straighter peppers pods look to narrow for a Bhut but they are still young, also color is hard to tell looks from the pic to be a very bright green and I can't tell if the skin is bumpy or smooth.

Mark

• PaPeppers
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I used Yahoo, but it is through mobile so may cause issues there. I'll send a proper email tomorrow. sorry I haven't been too responsive, been planning a wedding. very expensive. my peppers are getting there, look almost identical to your picture. fattening up a little but and getting nice and bumpy. mine are a much brighter green than yours appear to be and hoping they will fully mature for the solanco fair next week. looking great though. I'll try and keep you posted

• PaPeppers
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I just replanted in to a 30 gallon plastic container. It's not pretty but there is a lot of room. I have one pepper orangish-red and another pepper turning. I have about 30 peppers. gonna pick the best 5 and enter the fair, all entries due tomorrow. Mark another email has been sent so Im hoping you get it this time!

• habjolokia z 6b/7
    10 years ago

This has been the only time I have had an issue with receiving an email. I have conversed with plenty of members via GardenWeb or private email. I am not sure why we are unable to communicate, I checked inbox as well as junk and nothing. Well I do have seeds left as well as pods that have been dried, hopefully once I get an email I can send seeds if you want. Your pepper plant is looking great for this time of year.

Mark

• peppernovice
    10 years ago

Glad to see your peppers made it. Good Luck in the Fair.

Tim

Sponsored
Columbus Premier Design-Build and General Contractor