Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jalapmann

Leaves dont look so hot...

jalapmann
9 years ago

These leaves dont look so hot. Some of the green is fading in favor of yellow, and there also looks like fertilizer "burn" marks on the other.

Here's the thing, I've only fertilized once all summer, with the tomato plant food. If anything, I would think I havent fed them enough.

Comments (19)

• jalapmann
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Another..

• DMForcier
    9 years ago

Ummm... There seems to be something unusual in the background of your first picture...

Yes, there is some damage to the leaves you picture. But IMO you should evaluate them in relation to the whole plant. Whole plant pics?

Dennis

• jalapmann
    Original Author
    9 years ago

LOL.. Rubber snake.. Birds and such were attacking the plants back in May...
    Here's a whole plant pic... I actually came home to find a bunch of leaves have dropped including a young pepper fruit...

• DMForcier
    9 years ago

You do have a fair amount of leaf drop. Some is to be expected, of course, and from the shape of the plant it appears to be getting mostly high angle sunlight so that the under leaves are generally shaded. The plant will drop those over time. The occasional pod will fall too. If you inspect it I'll bet you find some damage.

Overall, though, the plant looks healthy and vigorous. Is your soil wet? Are you getting high temps? Short hours of direct sun?

Dennis

• jalapmann
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Have had a dry spell over the past week, and it had not been watered. If you notice behind them is corn, which of course has grown crazy the past month. No doubt this affected angle of sunlight. But even with the corn it gets 8+ hours sun.

Are those "burn" marks from fertilizer? Like I said, I've only done it once...

• DMForcier
    9 years ago

The top pic could be fertilizer burn. Try not to get it on the leaves.

• BrewJolokia
    9 years ago

Sorry to bounce off topic but I miss the rubber snake trick. That is an old one that growing up my dad would never tell me if he did it. A few times picking veg anyone could see me sprinting out of the garden. Too funny to see it out there.

• jutsFL
    9 years ago

Another off topic, but I have to ask... Does the fake snake actually work as a deterrent for you? Not a bad idea.

Jay

• jalapmann
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I used the rubber snake when an unknown pest was eating seedling leaves back in May. Honestly I think the pinwheels I used worked better.

Back on topic, I'm wondering if the spotting, leaf and fruit drop is bacterial spot. If so, I'm guessing I'm screwed.

• DMForcier
    9 years ago

How about another pic of the same plant from the same location? Then we can tell if the condition is degrading.

Dennis

• SoCarRob (Zone 7)
    9 years ago

My jalapeno plant's leaves started to look like the one in the second picture. I mixed up a batch of Epsom salts in a spray bottle and sprayed down the leaves really well. One day later and the leaves are an emerald green again. Must have been either magnesium or sulfur deficiency. Next watering I'm going to sprinkle a tablespoon of Epsom salts around the base of the plants and let that soak into the soil.

• jalapmann
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here are three more. It is affecting the cayenne and jalapeno to varying degree. It has not affected the chinenses at all.

I don't think this looks good.

• jalapmann
    Original Author
    9 years ago

another

• jalapmann
    Original Author
    9 years ago

last one...

• seysonn
    9 years ago

I think It has bacterial disease.

• jalapmann
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I think so too. Is there anything that can be done to contain it, or should I just give up?

• Mecdave Zone 8/HZ 9
    9 years ago

Don't give up. Remove all affected leaves, bag all the leaves and throw them out with the trash. Wash any tools that have come in contact with iso alcohol.

I had a Santa Fe that was only a foot tall with half a dozen leaves left after trimming less than 2 months ago. Now it is a beautiful plant with many pods.

• jalapmann
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Any sprays I can use to slow down the spread?

• vedabeeps
    9 years ago

I tried copper on my plants that looked like that, as recommended by my local nursery (and the others around it as a preventative measure,) and isn't hasn't helped arrest the progression on the originally plagued plants or prevented the spread. :(