Return to the Hot Pepper Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
New varieties, new favorites!

Posted by sunnibel7 Md 7 (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 30, 14 at 10:45

So back in the winter I was looking for varieties to try this year that would be hot, but not too hot to round out my pepper harvest. Based on the various comments from all you helpful folks I chose Beaver Dam, Aji Omnicolor, and Jimmy Nardello (not hot at all). The beaver dam and JN are both pickable now, so I've tried them both. I like the beaver dam, and I'm looking forward to making a giant popper out of one tonight (ok, it just becomes a stuffed pepper then, but still)! I have to wait a tad longer to do a taste comparison with jalapenos, but I will almost certainly grow these again.

But the JN? Holy cow! I don't know what it is about them, but my husband and I can't get enough of them! Why did I plant only 2?! So far we just fry them in olive oil and sprinkle with salt, then eat them out of the pan, burning our fingers and tongues because we don't wait for them to cool. Does anyone have any preferred reecipes for these, in case I manage to keep some on hand long enough to make something with them? This pepper is definitely going to stay in my garden!

The omnicolors are just setting fruit now and I look forward to trying them soon. I also decided to give the Fish peppers one last try, and they were miserable failures yet again. It's ok, I'm happy with these others. So thanks for the input, we're happy with our new pepper discoveries!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: New varieties, new favorites!

ok, if you want something good for frying, you have got to grow some Pimento de Padrons... I would almost have to say they have become my favorite, I fry up a batch 2-3x a week. You do like JN, toss them in a pan with some olive oil, fry, sprinkle with salt and enjoy. They are wonderful. Every once in awhile you get a hot one.

Beaver dams are great stuffed!
Pam

o

Be that as it may, there are yet wonders and wonders to be discovered - in the garden.

Good to hear from you again.

Dennis

o

I grew a "Cowhorn" from bonnie plants this year. I don't care for them fresh but cut in half and cooked in olive oil until the skin blisters with a little salt they are great! If you like things a bit warmer, these are rated 2500-5000 scoville (jalapenos are rated about the same) and they grow 8+ inches long, slim and get a curl at the end. Good roasting peppers too from what I hear.

o

:) thanks, Dennis! This is the busy time of year, too much picking, washing, packing, mulching, weeding, watering, cooking, canning to post, right? ;) and thanks for the further reccomendations, guys (gals), I'll clip this so I can find it again midwinter!

o

Here's a green cowhorn that's been cooked in olive oil and sprinkled with salt. Delicious!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Pepper Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here