Return to the Hot Pepper Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Ghost naga (bhut jolokia) growing

Posted by karl210 none (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 7, 14 at 10:51

Hi, Please bear with me, I am a complete beginner and i'm just after a bit of advice on my ghost chilli plant.
I'm from the uk and i planted it quite late on in the year and it sprouted on May the 1st. I was advised to sow in April but after some more reading now it seems that was a bit late. I have attached a picture, (unsure of how to attach more than 1 so when i find out i will post more pics) I was wondering if anyone can tell me how the plant is looking for its age? Also I am in the process of hardening the plant to being outdoors. My plan is the get a pvc greenhouse but i'm really unsure what size I will need as there is a lot of conflicting information on how big these grow, any ideas? Im also a bit worried about pests and wondering if anyone can recommend a pesticide or any home-made concoctions that will keep it from being damaged. As we are already halfway through summer and it still hasn't even flowered yet what are my chances of getting peppers this year? and what do I do about wintering it? any info would be great, thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Ghost naga (bhut jolokia) growing

Chance of peppers, ripe at least, is very slim for this year.
A great natural pest deterrent is Neem Oil, used in conjunction with an appropriate "soap" - such as Dr. Bronner's Castile soap or Murphy's Oil Soap. Do not use detergent soaps.

It's actually in a good sized container for overwintering. I would add much more perlite, though, as the mix looks to be very moisture retentive.

Josh

o

Be reactive with regard to pests. If your plant isn't being eaten, do nothing.

Little to no chance of ripe peppers this year. Plant size is kinda small, though I have had ghosts that were smaller at this stage and jumped up later. How much light has it been getting? Artificial lights at all? Have you been fertilizing? With what? One thing that can keep a pepper small is over watering. Peppers do not like wet feet and will, essentially, pull in their roots which limits growth rate. Tell us how you water and what soil the plant is in, please.

A bhut jolokia can get quite large, but you have some control over that with judicious pruning and keeping the pot (relatively) small.

Fortunately, the plant looks quite nice and healthy.

Wecome,
Dennis

o

I have two I started last fall that are a little bigger than that. They did little -to nothing in a south facing window last winter. They are VERY slow growers. Not a hint of a flower yet on either. I'm looking at next summer to get some peppers from them.

o

Cheers guys, roughly 10 - 12 hours light per day, we have a good south facing window but sometimes they are outside. I water when the soil gets dry which is roughly 1ce a week, i do a weak mix of tomato feed everytime i water, should i be doing it every other time? They are in peat with some compost. Like i said im an absoloute beginner so please tell me if what im doing is wrong. I transplanted it a few weeks ago to that pot and i accidently ripped off 1/3 of its roots which has definitely slowed its growth

o

Cheers guys, roughly 10 - 12 hours light per day, we have a good south facing window but sometimes they are outside. I water when the soil gets dry which is roughly 1ce a week, i do a weak mix of tomato feed everytime i water, should i be doing it every other time? They are in peat with some compost. Like i said im an absoloute beginner so please tell me if what im doing is wrong. I transplanted it a few weeks ago to that pot and i accidently ripped off 1/3 of its roots which has definitely slowed its growth

o

I'd slow down on the fertilizer.

Your soil is not the best for a pepper. Straight peat soils retain water like sponges. Fortunately you are being restrained with the watering, but I bet the pot is still wet down deep. If so, you won't have deep roots, and that's where pepper roots like to go. You should pop the root ball out of the pot to take a look. You want to see some nice white roots starting to cover the bottom of the ball. (Don't worry about the earlier root damage - there are plenty more where those came from.)

What you want is a well-draining "potting mix". Container growers will even sacrifice nutrients to get drainage, cutting way down on the amount of peat in the pot. One popular home mix uses one part peat in 7 parts of mix, the other 6 parts being inert.

You also want available oxygen so the roots don't drown, so another of those 7 parts is perlite.

For your next pot try a commercial potting mix and maybe add a little perlite if there isn't much in the mix. Most will have a slow-release fertilizer in them already, but after a few months you'll have to start fertilizing according to package directions. (Use something with an NPK that is multiple of 3-1-2.)

Let us know what you find when you do the root ball inspection.

Dennis

o

Karl

I agree with DMForcier regarding his comments to fine tune your pepper plant. Peat moss is a bit acidy. Peppers tend to like a neutral type soil pH.

Observation:
Your Pepper plant looks very good. The leaves are dark green, which indicated it has received sufficient Nitrogen. I personally tend to continue the Nitrogen until I see flowers form on the plant. Which encourages maximum growth of the plant. When you start to see the flowers appearing nip off the majority of the flowers, then back off a little on the Nitrogen. I also noticed the new growth (leaves) seems to very tight, which indicates adequate light. Well my final opinion is your plant looks great! I wish my peppers looked that good.

Thomas

o

Thanks guys. Ive put it in a slightly larger pot. Ive used a standard well drained compost mixed with perlite, ive also added some bone meal. Ive noticed some of the leaves not looking too good. Does anyone know the cause of the leaves turning brown? Quite a lot of the leaves are effected. So i dont want to just start cutting off willy nilly.

o

> "standard well drained compost"

Specifically?

If the composting was not complete, the mix may have e.g. manure or an unbalanced chemistry.

Dennis

o

Thanks guys. Ive put it in a slightly larger pot. Ive used a standard well drained compost mixed with perlite, ive also added some bone meal. Ive noticed some of the leaves not looking too good. Does anyone know the cause of the leaves turning brown? Quite a lot of the leaves are effected. So i dont want to just start cutting off willy nilly.

o

I used john innes no2 potting compost. Im trying to find info on it but i cant

o

Don't know why you added bonemeal....

Chance of sunburn doesn't seem likely; so the blemished leaves could be fertilizer or salt burn, potentially. Or perhaps root-damage.

Josh

o

I read it on quite a few pages that its really good for them. I had some anyway so i thought i would add a bit. Could it of damaged the plant?

Here is a link that might be useful: look

o

• Posted by TNKS 7b (My Page) on
    Tue, Jul 29, 14 at 16:01

Looks like fert burn to me
Flush with several clean water only watering's
Fish emulsion is easy on plants,Id go 1/2 strength for a few(every other week) feedings and see what the plant reflects
from that point.

o

Bone meal takes a LONG time to break down and become available to the plant, especially in tiny containers. It's much more useful in the ground, incorporated into a compost pile or worked into the soil months prior to planting.

Josh

o

Ahh ok, thanks guys. Should i leave the leaves as they are or trim off the bad ones? Shal i also water as normal or should i water a bit morw to try and flush somw of it out?

o

At this stage I'd leave them on. When they become useless to the plant it will discard them.

A flush wouldn't hurt and might help.

Dennis

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Pepper Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here