Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sgtpepper_gw

Black Buds - sun issue?

SgtPepper
10 years ago

I would like to know if there is anything to be concerned about. Several buds, a few entire clusters, have developed a black stem. Not all the buds and flowers have developed this, but since the spell of high pressure weather the sun has been very strong. The temps get up to the low 80s - but that's the shade. Otherwise, the plants generally seem to just love the sun apart from the odd leaf that gets sunburned (shiny gray). Some old leaves are dropping off, but I have come to expect this in the second year of the plants - the sun just hastens the process.

My question is this, is this dark stem due to hot days as well or something else?

Comments (17)

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    10 years ago

I dont think that is a problem at all. Likely a completely normal issue. Many pepper plants exhibit black portions along their stems, typically at junctions and branches. Unless that is the only issue with the buds, then I would say it is completely normal. Is it caused by sun? Maybe. But it doesn't signal a problem either. I have entire pods that turn almost black due to "sunburn". Here is a photo of my Jalapeno with one pod that is nearly completely black.
    Bruce

• SgtPepper
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Interesting. Does such a condition affect the fruit? I mean is it still edible apart from not looking that appetizing?

• cjohansen
    10 years ago

I also have lots of black pods, especially Jalapeños and aji Limon for some reason. They're black on the side facing the sun, so I just assumed that was the reason.

• woohooman San Diego CA zone 10a
    10 years ago

Doesn't change the flavor at all. My container jalapeno had some earlier this year and they were fine. Sunscald on larger, more fleshy varieties will sometimes be white and leathery. In which case, I cut out that part.

Kevin

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    10 years ago

I have never noticed a taste issue with those pods. They seem identical in every way except for the dark coloring (Sun Burn). I have had it on several different varieties...but it seems to not affect the hotter varieties as much from what I have seen.
    Bruce

• ezericko
    10 years ago

That looks like a problem that I have been having too. A number of people have told me that alot of pepper plant stems turn black - but this thing is altogether wilting the buds and flowers from the branches that are affected by it. And you see how it is starting to get onto the tips of the surrounding leaves?

Is that the same with yours?

The parts of mine that are affected are generally on the highest parts of the plant, so that would make it seem like the sun must be the problem, but I keep my plants in the shade all day long. So not sure what the problem is.

10 years ago

ezericko: black on the LEAVES would be a totally different problem. Get a closeup pic of the blackening. If somebody doesn't answer here, try the garden Clinic forum.

Kevin

• smokemaster_2007
    10 years ago

Post a pic also of the branches,any black dots or streaks on them?
    See your other post...

• DMForcier
    10 years ago

ezeriko, it looks like the plant has given up on that stem end. Plants often self-edit as a response to damage or age (of that part) or whether the part has served its purpose or just changing conditions.

Dennis

• ezericko
    10 years ago

Woohooman - I can't seem to get a better closeup of the light blackening on the tips of some leaves than the picture shown above. Do you coloring that I am talking about??

Smokemaster - this new picture I have posted shows that, like the entire plant, the majority of it (its stems) are green and healthy looking - only at the tips, right where the buds and flowers are trying to bloom, does it get "burned" like that.

Dennis - The plant in the picture is just recently being consumed by this blackness, but my other plant has lost the all of the tips of its branches to this stuff (though it is still overall a healthy looking green plant). Are you thinking that I will just end up needing to cliip all this tips and try again for peppers next season??

Thanks for all the help with this guys! I really appreciate the advice!

10 years ago

ezericko: I see it "some." But that plant looks VERY healthy otherwise -- I wouldn't give up on it.

Have you recently sprayed anything on it and then left it out in the sun at high temps?

You also mention shade all day long. Why is it being shaded???

Smokemaster mentioned a sulfur fungicide(which is fine) and he also mentioned sucking insects. I take his advice very heavily. So, like he said, don't use oils and sulfur together -- I believe the recommended time lapse is 2 months. But since he thinks it's fungal caused by sucking insects, you might want to go with neem. My reasoning --- neem is also a fungicide and controls many sucking insects and has anti-feeding properties.

Also, don't spray any insecticide or fungicide if the temps are >80F and/or the sum of the temp and relative humidity is >140. This time of year shouldn't be a problem for much of the U.S. ...in the evenings, at least.

Did you check with the folks in the Garden Clinic forum? It's not as busy but a few of them there know their stuff.

Kevin

• judo_and_peppers
    10 years ago

so if sulfur + oil = evil, what about epsom salt not long after neem-ing? epsom salt being, of course, magnesium sulphate. I know chemistry is never THAAT straightforward when drawing connections between concepts, but it seemed reasonable to ask.

10 years ago

That's a "reasonable" question. One in which I don't have the answer. If you ask smoke, he thinks foliar sprays are hogwash. I, myself, just use it as part of feeding, if needed.

Kevin

• ezericko
    10 years ago

Yeah Kevin, I agree that it looks totally healthy apart from the tips.

Right now I'm thinking, worst case scenario, I'll lose all the buds and flowers for this season (as has already happened to plant #2) and then I'll clip the dead tips, and it'll regrow for next season.

The thing about the sun is that I live in Miami and it is still getting pretty hot (mid 80s-90f) down here during the middle of the day. I accidentally left them out all day about a month ago and I found them completely drained and lying on their sides. I decided that I would keep them in shade until cooler times get here towards the end of this month. The spot they are in now does get "soft light" throughout the day - it is not a very "deep shade" either - but they dont get direct sunlight until past 5pm.

I have definitely been told that they need a ton of sunlight, but I am terrified to take the risk. On a side note, this is also our rainy season here and so we get frequent tropical thunderstorms and I feel that they fair better with some protection. You really never can tell when a storm will brew up here and so I find it safer to just keep it in its one spot.

Terrible idea?

Smoke - "no" on the foliage sprays then?? You don't believe in 'em?

Erick

• sunnibel7 Md 7
    10 years ago

80s-90s is what they like. My guess goes along with the self-editing theory, you are not giving them enough sunlight to promote healthy flowering. It's probably good that you kept them out of the direct sun during the hottest part of your summer, but now you are having the temps most of us have in summer, and I'm guessing your sunset is around 7 pm... 2 hours of direct sun is not enough to make fruit. Not too sure about the thunderstorm protection either.

• ezericko
    10 years ago

Sunnibel - Yeah, of course, my entire life I have known that plants need sunlight and water - especially peppers and tomatos. But I tried that a couple months ago and it almost killed them.

Though it is cooler now that 2 months ago. I was gonna wait until the end of this month.... Ok, I will leave them out in the direct sun all day tomorrow and see how it goes.

If it goes bad, I will take a picture and post it.

If it goes well, I will name my first pepper after you ; )

• sunnibel7 Md 7
    10 years ago

Lol, sounds good! But really, I just put all the info together reading through the posts. It would have to be named forum peppr. :) you may need to harden them off a bit, if the shade was that dense.