Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
skyclad

Chervena Chushka

skyclad
10 years ago

Hello to all..
I'm wondering what you guys might know about the above peppers.. They aren't hot, so technically this might be the wrong forum for this (although there were no forums I could find on just "peppers"..).. I've been hearing wonderful stories about these from friends.. Said they are great for stuffing and very sweet with little or no heat.. Just wondering what my friends here at the Hot Pepper forum might have to say about these, and if you're familiar with them, also wondering if you need to char them first to get the skin off before stuffing like a Poblano..
Thanks in advance for any info you might have!

Comments (4)

• User
    10 years ago

I have it in my seed stock and have grown it a couple of times over the past 5 years. Absolutely great for roasting and stuffing, that's how I used my crop. A nice pepper.

Here's the description I have for it on my inventory spreadsheet...

Sweet red Bulgarian heirloom. 2x6 inch long. This sweet and crunchy Bulgarian heirloom is a fantastic pepper for roasting, but can also be eaten fresh. The tapered fruits measure 2" at the shoulder by 6" long and ripen from green to brown and then to mahogany then red approximately 85 days after transplanting.

FWIW,

Bill

• seysonn
    10 years ago

(although there were no forums I could find on just "peppers"..).

@ SKYCLAD
    That is what I have always wondered, WHY they named this forum HOT pepper? To exclude sweet peppers ?!? As far as I know they are all CAPSICUM.

Your peppers look appetizing. I like them with a bit of heat, just munch them plain, with dip.
    You can also stir fry and use it as you would use bell peppers. AND maybe pickle them like Greek Pepperoncini.
    For stuffing (!), I think they do not have big enough volume to make it worthwhile .

• sjetski
    10 years ago

Seysonn, by "stuffing" they probably mean the same way people stuff jalapeno's and banana peppers, rice + beef + spices, or bacon and cheese. Those peppers are much smaller than Chervana chushka.

Skyclad: I grow them, they are one of my favorite sweet annuums, and i grow anywhere from 5 to 10 different annuums every year. I currently have three of them in the ground but it seems like a bad year for them, but then again my other annuum's are having trouble with productivity this season...

It would be great if i could get it to cross with a sweet banana, i may have to try it this year and see what happens.

• skyclad
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I do understand that they are somewhat small compared to a Poblano.......I am also factoring in volume of peppers though too.. I have 5 plants and each one has at least 8 or so peppers on it right now! Any good recipes for Chile Rellenos??
    PS Thanks for all your responses back about this...!

Sponsored